hey there stranger

Gotta Dance with Hate

As every other morning, Jongin felt himself open his eyes slightly as he was shaken awake. He was used to this as his brother always took it upon himself to wake him up, not trusting any alarm clock because 'you never know when they will stop working'. And so, he found himself opening his eyes slightly, not feeling very comfortable with opening them any more than that as he was sure the light from the window would render him blind. 

He stood up on bed and after a few more tries and many blinks; Jongin was able to see clearly his room and his smiling brother. "Morning, sleepy head."

Jongin smiled too and gave his brother a hug. "Morning, hyung."

"After you're finished washing up come down, alright? Breakfast is ready." Jongin nodded at that and went out of bed and towards the bathroom. He looked at himself in the mirror and cringed at his bed hair. He would definitely have to work on that as he couldn't really go out of the house in such a disheveled manner. 

He hummed slightly to some song he was into the past few days as he took a shower, feeling much more awake than he had been before. Honestly, showers were something Jongin liked to take. It always made him think about a lot of things and it was rather relaxing as well. 

When he finished, he looked in the mirror again. His hair was still in the same horrible way and Jongin couldn't wait to do something about it but first he had to get clothed. He went into his room and found a pair of blue jeans and a simple white shirt with blue lines on it. He looked at them for a moment and decided that it would do for that day. 

Once fully clothed, he went into the bathroom again and started to brush his hair. It still looked a bit wild, even after many tries of trying to bring all the loose strands down, but in the end he decided that it didn't look as ugly as before so it could do. Deciding that he was pretty fine for the day ahead of him, Jongin made his way down the stairs and into the living room. He walked past it and right into the kitchen where Yunho was already eating while looking at some papers from work, Jongin supposed. 

"What are you doing, hyung?"

Yunho looked up from the papers and at Jongin; he smiled briefly at his younger brother before his face was once again over the documents. "Nothing, just checking everything is in order. I have to give this out today and I wouldn't want it have any mistake." Jongin smiled at that. His brother had always been one to look closely into anything as he didn't like doing mistakes. It has always been like that, ever since he could remember and this was something Jongin admired his brother for. 

"I'm pretty sure those are in order already. You're always checking them anyway." Yunho laughed because it was true. He had already checked the papers for quite a few times but just in case, he reasoned. 

"Eat, and don't question my little obsession over this. My boss will probably scream to the world if he sees even a little mistake. You already know how he is." Jongin had no comeback for that as it was true. Yunho's boss was a little crazy over perfection and he would wail at you if he spotted even a little minor mistake. But taking into account the company's popularity, Jongin guessed, it was worth it. 

"Yeah, I think he will die if anything ever happens to the company." said that, Jongin decided that he should start eating or he wouldn't make it to college in time. He looked at the cupcakes in front of him and started eating one while sipping from time to time the glass of water. 

"Who knows. The guy may be even more competent in those kinds of situations. He is full of surprises to be honest."

Jongin nodded, not wanting to talk while he had food in his mouth and his brother would probably slap him upside down if he even thought about it. He gulped down everything before talking. "Hope he doesn't surprises you too much, hyung." Yunho laughed at that and nodded before Jongin continued speaking. "I should go already, it's getting pretty late."

Yunho looked up at him and smiled. "Alright, do you want me to come after you? I will probably be home sooner."

Jongin thought about it for a while but decided that it wasn't such a good idea. "I may be a little late so I will come home alone." Yunho nodded and ruffled Jongin's hair all the while the younger whined about 'do you know this took a while to be tamed, hyung? don''t make it worse.'. 

As Jongin continued to try to make his hair better, Yunho bid him goodbye and Jongin waved at him. He opened the entrance door and was greeted by someone he kind of already expected.

 

;;;

 

Chanyeol came daily after Jongin. He was like a mosquito in the hot summer day, circling around his head for no apparent reason, buzzing loudly with that deep voice of his. 

Actually, that morning, nothing was different.

Chanyeol paced to and fro in front of the door and thought hard if his 'how to conquer Jongin’s heart' list needed a few modifications or not. It mostly involved a lot of kidnapping and other hilarious mismatches he had seen in various romantic movies. Those won’t work well in real life, no matter how hard Chanyeol tried to convince his brain of their effectiveness. Leaning against the door’s frame and smiling like a husband after an intense night of drinking due to his wife’s bickering, his mouth twisted a couple of times in grins and other small smiles, before they fell in the depths of upset grimaces and other fine wrinkles which didn’t match his cheerful personality at all.

He waved his hand and tilted his head right and left before each finger curled into a tight fist. He punched the wall and sighed disappointed. It would be ridiculous if he expected for Jongin to suddenly jump in his arms. But he’d try anyway, for he only wanted to expose his utmost love for the best friend in the world. He even took extra money in case Jongin got hungry – not like the unlimited card he had wasn’t enough - but it was nice to remind the other he could be there for him in darker times. Chanyeol laughed and slapped his forehead. 

“No, no,” mumbling to himself over and over again, he fiddled with his phone and wondered how much more would it take for the younger one to come out. 

He panicked for a second.

What if Jongin had left earlier? What if something happened to his brother? Yunho was the best person in the world, but that kind of kindness could kill him one day and no matter how many times he argued with Jongin to appreciate better his dearest brother, it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

But there was absolutely no way that Jongin would have betrayed him in such a rude manner. He would at least have given him a call. There were none on the huge Samsung screen, except the gorgeous expression Jongin gave away in one of those rare moments when Chanyeol captured his perfection on camera.

Slipping the phone back in his large pockets, he went again to and fro in front of the door, punched again the wall and carried a dramatic monologue with air.

People that walked by gave the giant a few perplexed looks before they shrugged it off for Chanyeol had done the same last week and so on. Neighbors were used to his behavior – it was actually a great way to calculate how much time they had until they’d have to leave for work. 

“No, no,” he repeated, grabbed his head and hit it against the door. “Hi!” he exclaimed and jumped happily on the spot. Snorting, Chanyeol leaned his elbow against the door frame, winked at the closed door and showed his empty palm to nobody. “Why, isn't today a beautiful day, Jongin?” he clenched his teeth and curses spilled from his throat.

In a moment of utter desperation, Chanyeol’s back faced the door with his knees almost on the floor as he cried out because of the sudden lack of inspiration. 

The subtle click behind him startled the man. He rectified his position in a split second. He arranged his curly locks on which he spent an eternity for Jongin to impress, but he was met with disappointment when he saw where the sound had come from. The old lady next door welcomed the young man with a nod as she released her cat from her embrace and disappeared back inside her cramped apartment. 

Finally, with enough oxygen in his lungs, he clapped, he snapped his fingers, he pretended to have a rose between his teeth and trusted his hips in all directions – yes, it was near impossible for him to find a good way to greet the other without making a fool out of himself in front of the CCTV. The bored guards staring at the footage were probably yearning for the seemingly drugged stranger to come around and put on another show. 

Just when Chanyeol decided to point as if he had a gun and was about to 'shoot' Jongin, the door opened wide. 

He was petrified on spot, unable to speak or to do a single gesture. His pupils dilated at the sight of Jongin and the corners of his mouth almost extended to his ears. “...urm...” even his mind froze, making it difficult to link words into coherent sentences “...HI!” Chanyeol bowed fast and fixed his bag’s strap over his shoulder “...ARE YOU READY?” He practically yelled in his friend’s face, waiting for the other to go ahead and lead the way.

 

;;;

 

Jongin stared dumbly at his friend. 

He was very much used to Chanyeol's strange behavior but it still surprised him nonetheless whenever the guy acted even stranger than usual. This was one of those days that he couldn't really comprehend what was wrong. 

"Well, hi to you too. What were you doing a while ago?" Chanyeol stopped his movements and looked back at Jongin while smiling sheepishly. 

"Nothing really, I was just having a really deep conversation with the door." Jongin raised an eyebrow at that before snorting and laughing heartily right afterwards. He clutched his stomach as it hurt thanks to the bubbly laughter he couldn't really stop as Chanyeol's words kept on repeating in his mind. 

Chanyeol watched Jongin and he smiled feeling much better with himself after the embarrassing moment from before. He was actually enjoying Jongin's laughter as it made Chanyeol's heart swell in happiness. Nothing else could bring a huge grin on his face other than making Jongin laugh. It was something he took pride in as the other didn't laugh so often over anything but Chanyeol could always bring out the childish joy in Jongin.

As Jongin calmed himself down, he put a hand on Chanyeol's shoulder for support as the other one was still clutching his own stomach. "That was seriously funny. 'Deep conversation with the door'." Jongin shook his head, a wide smile still present on his face as the aftershocks of the laugh were still present. 

"Hey, doors have feelings too, you know?" Chanyeol had said, pouty expression full on as he was trying to be 'oh so serious' about what he was saying.

Jongin grinned and looked directly at him. "Whatever you say."

Chanyeol smiled too and grabbed Jongin's wrist. "We should get going or we will definitely be late." Jongin narrowed his eyes and looked at his watch, his eyes widening impossible wide afterwards. He grabbed Chanyeol's hand in his and sprinted off, not really giving the other space for reacting. 

Chanyeol didn't truly mind as he was just enjoying holding Jongin's hand and being close to him. 

"We are so going to be scolded." Chanyeol slowed his movements causing Jongin to go slow down as well. 

"Hey you're the teacher's most favorite student and you know it. She won't scold you for anything." Jongin bit his lip, still not feeling rather good about getting late and Chanyeol watched him with a longing expression. He loved to see different parts of Jongin and not only what the guy let on. Just as he was doing now even though that 'biting his lip' did nothing to calm Chanyeol's desire on kissing the other but he knew nothing good would come out of that so he had to tone his feeling down and stay composed. 

"Alright, let's just run until we arrive there. The loser has to pay for lunch, how about that?" If Chanyeol was sure about something was Jongin's competitive nature and how he wouldn't let a challenge pass by.

This was proven right when Jongin side eyed him with a smirk on. "It's a deal then." With that said he sprinted off and Chanyeol could only watch him go on. 

Honestly, when he had told the other to do this, he was already planning on getting Jongin win as he liked to do little things for Jongin such as buying him lunch. Jongin was stubborn, however, and didn't like when people helped him because Chanyeol knew Jongin felt bad. Bad because he wanted to be strong and do things himself. That's why Chanyeol had to take different paths to make Jongin okay with Chanyeol doing things for him. 

As he smiled, Chanyeol began to run too, not wanting to make it too obvious that he wanted to lose and felt like little by little, he would make Jongin's heart his. 

 

;;;

 

Meanwhile, one figure dragged a suitcase amongst a hurried crowd. Actually, more than one figure did that because they were inside a freaking airport, you wouldn’t expect to see flying monkeys or elephants drumming after every announcement.

Blending in wasn’t his style. Shoulder-length hair tied in a low ponytail, tight pants that made his skinny legs stand out and a fluffy hoodie could fool anybody. His parents came a few months before to buy a new house, pick some nice furniture and make sure his father could transfer to the Seoul branch the company he worked for years in Japan had in South Korea. On top of that, he didn’t quite want to say goodbye to hectic Tokyo. It was his idea in the first place, so asking for a couple of more days to spend with all his friends had made his parent’s eyebrows to raise

Nevertheless, they loved their only child dearly and allowed the kid to go wild before he’d be incarcerated with University work.

He smirked while he typed away at his phone, unaware of the hand that slapped the back of his head. 

“You’re gonna be late,” the scold came right after and made the long haired boy shiver from the mere thought.

“Let’s get going then!” he shouted and went ahead, only to hear a distant ‘you’ve dropped your phone!’ that made him take a u-turn.

 

;;;

 

Breeze tickled his hair as he hurried from corner to corner. He dropped his luggage in his new and pristine bedroom, dashed over a sofa and bid farewell to his wide-eyed father. The elder only muttered about how much energy his son spent for nothing and how he could have dislocated a shoulder when the kid grabbed the back of the sofa and leapt over the furniture. 

The TV’s echo masked his father’s ‘you dropped your keys!’ yell.

Taemin’s whole life was one loop and the amused onlookers couldn’t agree more. Finally on the corridors of the University of Arts, Taemin's friend pulled the hyperactive youngster back again and again whenever he’d almost embrace the walls or doors with all the love he had to give away. 

Picking papers wasn't something Taemin was looking forward to. Instead, he couldn’t wait to start classes and show everybody his dedication. If most walked or steered wheels for a living, Taemin’s sole purpose was dancing.

 

;;;

 

As faith would have it, Jongin had quite not the best luck in the world. 

He had ran all the way to college, Chanyeol hot on his heels but never quite reaching him and Jongin felt rather proud of that as this meant he had improved his stamina. 

He stopped running when he arrived at the entrance doors, panting slightly and feeling rather hot as it seemed that day the sun shone brighter than any other. He smiled when he saw Chanyeol arriving too. The other stopped next to him, hands on his knees and breathed hard. 

Jongin laughed at him and patted his back. "You have to work out more or you will never be able to catch me." 

Chanyeol smiled tiredly as he stood up. So much for wanting Jongin to win and he would have anyway even if Chanyeol had tried harder. "You sure have improved. When did you start running so fast and why don't you seem to be tired in the least?"

Jongin grinned, feeling very happy to see other people, even if it was just Chanyeol, recognizing his hard work. "I've been practicing much more lately."

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes for a moment. "Don't tire yourself too much. I don't want something like last time happen again."

Jongin smiled sheepishly at Chanyeol, feeling bad for having made the other worried. "Sorry and don't worry, I will take better care of myself, alright?"

Chanyeol sighed before smiling slightly. Knowing Jongin, the other lived for dancing only and sometimes he forgot there was much more to the human body than that. Chanyeol was worried but he was also happy because like that, he could help Jongin out whenever the other needed him. 

As they started talking about their classes and such, they stopped from going upstairs as a cheerful voice was heard calling Jongin's name. 

Both of them looked back to see someone around their age waving in their direction, more so to Jongin rather than Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol looked at Jongin and saw the younger narrowing his eyes before grabbing his wallet and throwing it in that person's direction. Chanyeol's eyes became as wide as saucers at the action and gaped at Jongin. Jongin, on the other hand, only glared at the other person for a while before stomping his way upstairs. 

Chanyeol watched as a few seconds later the person from before, whom he could only guess was a girl if the shoulder-length hair, pink lips, small nose and the beautiful brown eyes were anything to go by, ran past him and up the stairs most likely in search of Jongin. 

Chanyeol was left to wonder who the girl was and how Jongin knew her. Before he could go up as well, a pat on his back made him stop his movements and look at the person that had patted him. It was a rather tall guy, as tall as himself. Shoulder-length brown hair just as the girl from before, big eyes, small nose and thin lips that created a rather attractive guy. The guy smiled at him and brought Jongin's wallet to view.

"Do you know who's this is?" The guy's voice was deep but had a rather soothing feeling to it as Chanyeol listened to him. He nodded and smiled brightly, happy that he could retrieve Jongin's wallet and it wasn't lost or anything. Jongin sure was careless with his things. 

"Yes, it's my friend's. Thanks." The guy smiled again, wider than before and patted his shoulder. 

"No problem. Tell your friend to be more careful." Chanyeol nodded and bowed at the other while the guy made his way upstairs too. 

It wasn't before he couldn't see the guy anymore that he remembered he forgot to ask for his name. Chanyeol shrugged, it didn't matter as he didn't think they would meet again, but how wrong he was.

 

;;;

 

Meanwhile, Jongin was fuming. Today had to be one of his unluckiest days. Why in the world would that guy come back? When he left, it should have been for forever as Jongin was sure he didn't want to see the other's 'not so ugly' face. 

As he continued to stomp his way to his classroom, he didn't notice that Taemin had actually followed him and it wasn't until Taemin reached the end of the stairs and looked at his right that he saw Jongin's messy hair and shouted, "Jongin, wait please!"

Jongin looked back for a moment to make sure it was who he thought and when his suspicion was confirmed, he started to run, trying to make the other lose sight of him. It was hard, considering he was pretty tall and towered over almost everyone but it seemed today wasn't as unlucky as he thought as Taemin bumped into someone only to fall flat on his . 

Before the person he bumped onto could apologize or help him up, Taemin was already standing and looking for Jongin's figure but it seemed the little distraction managed to leave Jongin pretty leverage to run away and become lost. 

Taemin sighed and had his head down. He turned back on his heels and started to walk towards the stairs again in hope he would be able to find Minho. 

 

;;;

 

Taemin finally found his friend who had mixed feelings about everything. Minho knew his friend was the kind to act foolish in most given situations, but he couldn’t quite put his finger on why Taemin would get hit with a wallet nonetheless and then decide to chase the perpetrator with desperate eyes rather than an angry frown. The honey-head blankly stared past him before he pouted once more and scratched the back of his neck.

“Sorry...” he went ahead to receive a tight hug, arms spread wide and a goofy grin on his face, only for Minho to step backwards and let the blonde tumble on his feet as he tried to regain his balance.

The taller of the duo grabbed Taemin’s hoodie and dragged him away towards the secretary. He still had to sign a couple of late papers before he could officially start courses there and Minho wasn’t about to let his airheaded buddy miss a single one of those classes. They already went through that process once during autumn, when Taemin had to prove he was a viable dance student, while Minho fell in love again with his birth country.

A couple of minutes later, they walked side by side, one sulking and the other smiling peacefully. Trees were about to bloom as spring gently swayed in its light dress between branches.

Yes, Minho felt wonderful and if his camera hadn’t broken during customs, Taemin would have posed all day long for him like he had for the past years. That kid was too gorgeous for his own good. And the way he puffed his cheeks, kicked the air and let out a heavy sigh escape his lips, Minho knew there was something upon his heart which he didn’t want to share. 

“Are we having dinner earlier today?” he inquired as he paid extra attention to the way Taemin tilted his head to the side, nodded to his question and once again sighed.

“Wait,” he stopped and stared at him. “You’re staying with us, right?” 

“Of course,” Minho beamed with chuckles threatening to ruin his perfect smile “you don’t want me to sleep outside, now do you?”

“Not!” Taemin exclaimed and elbowed the elder, amused by his sudden question. “You’re part of the family, remember that?” he grinned and tip-toed closer “Also, my bedroom is pretty large, we’ll have enough space.”

“I’ll take the sofa near the kitchen,” Minho snorted and walked away, only to have one whining Taemin hot on his tail. A few streets further and some more jokes exchanged between the two, Taemin stopped when his phone vibrated inside his pockets. He fumbled with the device before he finally answered. 

Minho didn’t watch his reaction, as his mind drifted somewhere else.

He couldn’t shake off the shock he had when a man as tall as him with the deepest voice he’d encountered brushed his fingers with his when he gave back that wallet. He could already see a multitude of photos, all with that guy as the main model. Though, his favorite one would remain the kid who punched his side and waved his hand in front of his longing gaze. 

“Change of plans,” he uttered with annoyance present in his voice “I have to go visit some old family friend for dinner, want to tag along?”

“Sure,” Minho winked and wrapped his arm around Taemin’s shoulder “I’m not leaving my favorite person ever be fed to the sharks.”

“Tsk,” Taemin rolled his eyes “...if he’s there too, I’ll be the shark.” 

“That bad?”

“Yep.”

Minho patted his back.

“It’s going to be fine. There are worse things in life.” 

Taemin wanted to retort to that, yet he couldn’t muster a single sentence. He didn’t want to further agonize Minho’s day with his oscillating mood.

A bus stop and some more minutes later, they unpacked, showered and discussed about their following week without much of a hassle. Evening was right around the corner. With their goodbyes and his father’s ‘send my regards!’, Taemin braced himself for a really bad dinner. If that son of a decided to ignore him, he hoped not to see his face ever again – as much as he dearly missed him and his heart fluttered whenever his scent caressed the tip of his nose.