CHAPTER ONE: CAN’T STOP

I SHOULDN'T LOVE YOU

 

WRITER'S POV

 

 

"Don’t slow down..." She said aloud, panting.

 

Her pace went faster as she joined in to the beat of the song booming in her headphones. She wiped her face drenched with sweat using her palm, as her eyes were focused only to her path. She breathed out. A quick run has been her routine in the morning before going to their practice unlike her older sister who'd rather sleep till noon. She never cared about her scent or sweat anyway as long as it keeps her calm. She slowed down a bit. One more block and she'll be back home, she thought. So she was focused for a while.

 

"Soojung-ah..."

 

But that voice started ringing in her head. The way she calls her with a rather endearing tone, she could just imagine how she would look at her as if she was real. It's happening again. She couldn't help but stop. Her heart though was still beating way too fast.

 

"Stop it..." She whispered to herself.

 

She continued running, hopeful she'd stop being delirious. Eventually, she got to their house right away. She walked slowly, hardly breathing, and then stood in the living room for a bit. She felt her legs about to give up. Without thinking twice, she let her body heavily drop on the tiled floor. It didn't hurt somehow.

 

"Soojung-ah..."

 

She closed her eyes forcefully, feeling that unceasing beat on her chest.

 

"Stop..." She begged herself.

"Stop what?"

 

Jessica's voice echoed around the room. She lied still, faking a smile.

 

 

KRYSTAL'S POV

"I was meditating." I answered, seeing her face upside down.

"Meditating? You should meditate on your shower. You smell bad." She pinched her nose, looking all disgusted like she hasn’t sweat like that when practicing.

"I like what I smell. I smell like persistence and hard work." I said proudly.

"That's gross." She then sat on the sofa beside me.

"Since we're talking right now, I've got something to tell you."

"Let me guess..." My lips curved into a grin.

"It's about Sooyoung Unnie again huh?"

"She was so adorable today!”

 

I wanted to escape the moment she started talking but I couldn’t. I was too worn out from that sudden change of pace. In just a second, I started having leg cramps because I pushed them too hard and my breathing still hadn’t change into its normal state. I heave a sigh then stared at the ceiling. What was I left there to do but listen? And I could say I was a bit tortured. It’s not that I didn’t care or anything, I just couldn’t stop imagining her in all of Unnie’s stories. I could see her holding Unnie’s hand with their fingers locked. I could see her hugging Unnie from behind. I could imagine her putting her arm around Unnie’s shoulder. It’s as if I’m marked to stand five feet away from them, from her so I could watch every hurting second of their sweetness. That’s what I’d like prevent from happening every day. I wanted her out of my head but she keeps on coming back.

 

"Isn't she great?" Unnie ended with a giggle.

"Yes, she is..." I answered lowly.

"What?"

"I said can I get a shower now? We have a whole day of practice ahead of us and I'd like to be there real early." I tried to stand. I flinched a bit but still managed to push myself up.  She didn’t notice so it was good. I then shook my legs to slightly lose the pain.

"You're ALWAYS early. You're earlier than your manager and everyone else." She said teasingly while heading to the stairs.

"Early bird catches the worm." I said back with a smile.

"Well, I don't eat worms so... knock yourself out." I chuckled at her remark.

“Now, how do I get to my room?” I groaned as I hold onto a column.

 

I did get to the SMent building early and it was a surprise since I ended up rolling in pain for about half an hour in the bathroom. I guess I really am that punctual. I reached the practice room in just a minute, tossing my bag somewhere near the corner. The only thing I had in mind was to stretch first. Although, there was still that trace of pain left from that leg spasm, I continued warming up.

 

"Easy..." I told myself.

 

I jerked a bit. My sight was covered by a pair of hands of an unknown intruder.

 

"Guess who..." She whispered to my left ear. Her voice seemed modulated into a deeper one.

"Yah!" I protested right away, thinking it was Sulli or Luna Unnie. But when I held her hand, everything totally changed. My heart started pounding as if it knew who the person was.

 

"No... she... she couldn't... it can't be her..."

 

She let go. I was quiet for a moment. She stood in front of me, smiling.

 

"Surprised?"

 

“Surprise doesn’t even fit what I feel right now…”

 

"Uh... Unnie..." I blinked twice before asking.

"What are you doing here?"

"I had to talk to some people around then I saw you on your way here so I thought I could say hi to you and your... where are your members?"

"The-They're on their way." Dang it, I couldn’t even talk to her properly.

"I see." She bobbed her head then went to a chair near my bag.

"Want me to hang around for some company?"

 

“I don’t think I can think straight with you here watching me…”

 

But…

 

"Yeah..."

 

In that way, at least we’re hanging out together.

 

-----------------

 

I’ve only been practicing for ten minutes but my system wanted to stop. I wasn’t tired nor were my legs cramping, I was just a tiny bit conscious of her watching my every move. I know I should get used to it knowing she always watches us when she’s not doing anything, the nine of them actually, but it’s too damn hard to focus. I had to show off but at the same time keep it on a down low. Maybe I was too hungry for a flattering remark coming from her that time.

 

"Wow..." I heard her say. I peeked at her expression on the mirror and saw how cute she was with that serious look on her face.

 

"Hot damn... she looks really cute."

 

Despite that boost of confidence, I was totally distracted and almost tripped.

 

"Oops." She giggled.

"I'm gonna stay quiet from now on." I turned to her grinning.

"It's fine.”

 

I replayed another song to perfect it. It’s been thirty minutes and I guess I was getting used that she’s watching me. And that it was just the two of us. Or thinking about that is actually not a bad idea. The song was about to end when I suddenly felt that familiar throbbing on my leg. I fell down on my right away as I bite on my lower lip.

 

"What's wrong?" She quickly went to my side. My eyes were shut closed due to the pain.

"Are you okay?" She worriedly asked.

"I-I'm okay... I'm fine..." I answered holding my right leg. To my surprise, she started massaging it and to be honest, it felt good.

 

I watched her, never questioning myself of why I was so enthralled. But it ended too quickly when I realized Unnie always get foot cramps when practicing. That maybe she’s always doing this to her. She’s lucky, being able to feel how caring Sooyoung Unnie is all the time. I lowered my head then closed my eyes.

 

“Stop it. You’re not even in the position to get jealous over something so little…”

 

"Unnie..." It was Sulli. We both looked at her standing on the doorway.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"She’s having leg spasm, am I right?" She looked at me. I bobbed my head then instantly looked at Sulli running towards us.

"Soojung-ah!" She shouted. I knew at that moment she’s about to scold me.

"It's nothing. I'm fine, Sulli."

"Yah, be careful you dummy." I glared at her.

"Are you really worried?" She stuck her tongue out then giggled. I tried to stand up on my own but I couldn’t. I felt her hands though then Sulli’s as they both pulled me up to stand.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Sooyoung Unnie asked. I let go of her hand, smiling.

"Yes, Unnie."

"Well, since you're fine and little Choi's already here, I think I'm gonna go." She said then ruffled Sulli’s hair.

 

"No. You could stay."

 

Who was I to ask her to stay? I’m just her dongsaeng.

 

"Okay, Unnie! Take care!" Sullie waved enthusiastically.

"Yeah... bye, Unnie." I tried doing the same but failed to do so.

 

-----------------

 

The crowd was wild. Balloons and pink and white confetti were falling. You could barely hear them singing because of the screaming and shouting. But amidst all that joy, I had my attention somewhere else. I was watching her with my sister and she looked really happy. She was laughing her heart out. No one could deny it; they looked like a good couple. Not even me. There I was again, stupid enough to continue what supposed to be avoided. I didn’t even know what I was feeling the whole time. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure. Maybe it was just a crush, maybe I was going through a phase. Maybe I’ve gone too far and wasn’t able to stop.

 

"You idiot...”

 

I looked away.

 

"You don't have a chance... not even a bit."

 

After that night, I decided to take another step back again. It was what I should’ve done completely in the first place anyway. I knew I was already at that point but still, I decided to avoid her. If that won’t work then I’d better be hoping for a different thing and that is to forget about her. At least, this could work not only for me but my sister.

 

-----------------

 

The company was about to hold a gathering to all its artists and as always, I was the first one to get ready. My sister though hadn’t texted me about their flight back so I guess I might as well get surprised. A thought then came across me; it’s been weeks without her because of their Japanese promotions. My mind had been occupied by our own promotions and schedules that I hardly even think of her. I thought, hey, everything’s going smoothly. I was confident it would end that fast without the break downs and overflowing emotions. I thought I wasn’t really falling but instead it was just some sort of admiration and I was just clueless about handling our new stage of closeness. Yet, I was proven wrong when I heard her voice. Maybe I was hallucinating again. And if I was, then I’d better start all over once more.

 

”Soojungie!"

 

But it really was her, running towards me in that same corridor where I felt my heart beating differently for the second time. Everything started coming back when she smiled. At first I doubted myself but then my heart couldn’t deny it any longer. I was afraid I’m already too late.

 

“Yah, Soojungie!”

 

Please don't come closer.

 

"I haven't seen you for weeks yet you looked a lot cuter."

 

Please stop making me smile.

 

"Want to find everyone else with me?"

 

Whatever you're doing…

 

"I hope we're just right on time for the gathering."

 

Sooyoung Unnie... please stop.

 

 

“I think I've fallen for you.”