Roommate

Beauty and the Geek

Danson entered the room after lugging in the luggage; the guard simply would not let Jiro enter the female’s dorm even after Jiro pleaded with him. Danson had to lug the baggage up all by himself —thank goodness he’s a male! He looked at the room in amazement.

“That’s it? No pink? No frills?” Danson was surprised. He never thought that female creatures would be able to live without pink and frills. After all, Selina couldn’t! That also explains the lace on the luggage. Living with Selina sure had been a torture. The dining tablecloth was with lace, the sofa cushions had lace, and the curtains were lacy. No wonder his thinking was so warped!

He was deliberating whether to wait for the Ella to appear and claim her bed before he sat on one of the bed. However, it got too tiring for him. Dragged up by Selina in the wee hours every day to practise wearing a wig and a pair of s had really worn him off. He threw his shoes up, and one of them landed on the bed on the right. Nodding in satisfaction with his shoe’s choice, Danson plopped himself on the bed, drifting into the dreamland almost immediately…

He was playing piano with Lina Seah (that was in his dreamland, by the way) when suddenly, someone sat on him.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Both parties shouted. After a while, the guy opposite him with a pair of thick spectacles peered at him.

“So you are the new roommate?”

“Ella?!” Danson exclaimed in astonishment. He’s a girl!

Shortly after the incident, they began to re-introduce themselves.

“I’m Selina!”Danson stuck out his hand before he realised that he forgot to disguise his voice.

“Ella!” She smiled and pointed at the bed where Danson was sleeping, “My bed.”

Danson gave an apologetic smile before he took his shoe off the bed and moved to the left side.

“I’m going to read, so help yourself around! The toilet’s over there, the mini fridge’s over here. Oh! The shelves are for my books. I ordered some last week. They should be coming in soon. So, please don’t put your books there. For the table, I’d need it every night to finish my work. Do you mind working without a table? Or we can work out a system. It’ll be quite easy I think.”

Ella informed Danson of more things he had to take note of and went to read her book before Danson decided to take a bath after a whole day of adventure. He was in the bathroom, delighted about having his own private space. Finally he can be away from the prying and lustful eyes of the male animals. Certainly he wasn’t that kind of animal that he kept seeing today!

“Jiro might make a good friend, although he’s also interested in Selina’s looks. It should be Selina’s looks. Mine isn’t like that. I’m supposed to be a guy. It just so happens that our faces are identical and it’s attractive both as a female and male face.” Danson muttered to himself. Seemed like he was going crazy after a day of ordeal.

After the shower, Danson dried his hair before he stuffed the wig on, and his s. When he exits the toilet, he saw the uniform and books on his bed. Ella was sleeping on her bed with the book still in her hand.

“Jiro was so right about her ‘nerdiness’.” Danson chuckled to himself as he got ready for bed. Class was tomorrow at eight. Better to be punctual!

@@@

The next day, Danson woke up feeling refreshed. It was going to be the start of a brand new day! He has to be prepared for more stares by the men.

After packing his bag, he waited for Ella, who was in the bathroom, before setting off for the class—he was new and clueless about the classrooms. Ella brought with her the haversack and left the dorm with a book in her hand. It was a different book from yesterday, Danson noted.

“You finished yesterday’s book?” He asked, intrigued by her concentration and interest.

“Yea. It’s just three hundred pages. I need to finish this before class. I think the teacher’s going to give us more homework today. Oh! I’ve drafted a timetable for the use of the table. Since one is occupied by my pile of books, and I’m using your table, I’d use it for a shorter time. I think I can finish the homework in an hour, so the rest of the time, it’s yours.” Ella’s eyes never left her book as she passed Danson a piece of paper she took out from her pocket.

Danson stared at Ella in amazement. This girl is practically a robot! He continued to gape at her wondrous ability to avoid any obstacles and hazards while reading on the go until they reached the classroom.

The very noisy and active class was disrupted by their entrance. Everyone stayed silent and froze in their position, except for one guy who was falling when they entered – he continued to fall.

With a stern clearing of his throat, the form teacher quietened the class down.

“This is our new student, who is standing beside Ella, whose face is covered by the book as usual. We shall let our new student stand here and introduce herself, shan’t we?” The form teacher smiled, albeit too widely at Danson.

Ella continued to walk to her seat, still furiously reading her final chapter while Danson moved to the front of the class with caution. He still couldn’t forget yesterday’s scene. The pack of wolves kept appearing in his dreamland last night.

“I’m…er…Selina! Nice to meet you! Please do help me along. There’re a lot of things I still don’t know about.” Danson remembered to put on THE voice.

Ella looked up, surprised, but got back to reading the last paragraph as she skilfully took her haversack and hung it on her chair with one hand while sitting down.

With regards to Danson’s statement, the guys were cheering very loudly, “Yea! I’d help! Most willing to!” The guy who fell down spoke jovially.

However, his happiness were not to last for he got hit by a flying eraser that was thrown by Jiro. Yes, Jiro was in the same class as Ella. And Danson.

“Shut up and let her get to her seat!” Jiro shouted. This outburst finally quietened the class down.

Looks like he’s quite highly regarded in the class after all… Danson mused as he moved to the empty seat beside Ella and in front of Jiro, which was helpfully cleared by Jiro while he was introducing himself.

“Erm. Thank you Jiro. Alright. That is Selina. Now, we shall continue with our discussion for our stall for the Annual Halloween Fair shall we? As we were saying………” The teacher rattled off.

The day went by pretty successfully. Danson was quite happy that his class doesn’t has much ‘wolves’ and he can concentrate on his studies. However, he couldn’t help but be curious about Ella and her amazing ability.

‘So this person is going to be my roommate for three months… Ha. Interesting!’

Or so he thought.