The Date Is Set

Sa Kanya

"An inspiration to finish high school and an early congratulation gift." - Kim's mom.

"Kim, I want you to behave there okay?" Her mom told her as she walks in her bedroom.

Her facial expression was, 'what are you talking about mom?' at sumagot lang sya ng, "Ano po?" She got lost on what she was doing.

Since almost two years na sya sa Amerika gusto naman sya nyang umuwi sa Pilipinas. Kim told her mom a month ago that she wanted to go home right after she graduates from high school. She wanted to have fun and relax herself before entering college. Of course she wanted to see the people she misses; her Lola, Dad, and friends. "Let's see." That was all her mom said. Hindi sya nag expect na matutuloy pa sya umuwi.

"May 24." Her mom told her a date.

But Kim was still clueless of what her mom was talking about. She couldn't think of an event on that day but she remembered something but not on that same day.

"My graduation is on May 23." She told her mom, more like reminding her.

"Yes anak, I know that." Sagot naman ng mom nya. She thought it was her graduation day her mom was talking about.

She went closer to Kim and handed her an envelope. "An inspiration to finish high school... and an early congratulation gift." Her mom smiled.

Kim stared at the envelope. "Mom, what's this?" Tanong nya hawak ang papel. Her mom just smiled, allowing Kim to open the envelope herself. She then opened it. Kim smiled cheerfully, not believing what she was seeing.

She hugged her mom tightly. "Thank you Mom!" She was holding the plane ticket that her mom bought for her.

Kim was smiling nonstop. She wanted to call home to let them know. "So, you have almost 3 months vacation. What's your plan?" Her mom asked. She shrugged having no idea just yet. But at that moment she began imaganing.

"Mom, you're telling me I can do whatever I want, right?" She smiled.

"Oo naman anak. Pero... you should know your limitations. I'm not gonna be there and so as your Dad." She warned Kim.

Of course she knows her limitations. "But mom, kaya nga ako uuwi kasi andon si Dad dba?" She paused. "Oh, I'm guessing he's gonna be somewhere else?" She paused again. "Uwi nalang ako kay Lola sa Baguio and I'll spent time with my friends." She was smiling but disappointed.

Somehow, her mom felt her sadness."Exactly, yun na nga 'nak. I've already talked to your Dad and he can't pick you up at the airport. He has a business trip in Ilocos on that day. But he said, he will make time for you." She informed Kim.

"I told you so." Kim said in high note.

"Kelan daw po ang balik nya? Mom, please don't tell he won't be around when I get there." She asked.

"Anak, why don't you talk to your dad? So, you can spend time together. He'll be in Ilocos for 3 weeks daw." Kim just kept quiet.

"I have an idea. Si Raymond nalang susundo sayo or si Maja or si Emman, Mhyco, Sergio, John. All your friends." Her mom suggested.

"Before you think about your plans, you have to study for your finals muna. That ticket is suppose to inspire you not to distract you." She reminder Kim.

She couldn't take one more day not telling her best friend the good news. She was planning her vacation. She dialled Ray's number.

"Hello Oliver." She smiled. "Hello Oliver." She repeated. He's probably still sleeping she thought.

He picked up his phone. "Hello? Chui kaw ba yan?" He streched his long arm and yoaned.

"Yep! Good morning. Nagising ba kita?" She said.

"Ay, hindi naman. Okay lang, Saturday lang naman ngayon dito. Wala nga akong pasok e." He said sarcastally.

"Sorry, alam ko Sabado dyan. Di lang kasi ako makapaghintay sabihin sayo yung good news." She was really sorry but she knew he'd be happy to hear the good news.

"Oh, anong good news?" Tanong nya.

"Ready?" Tanong naman nya.

"Oo nga, ano ba yun?" Sagot ni Oliver.

It took awhile before she could tell him the good news.

"Say the magic word." Pangbitin nya.

"Ano ba yan! Kailangan pa ba yun? E, sino pa ba may boses ng kasing ganda ng boses ko." He humored.

She wanted to make sure it was her best friend she was talking to before saying anything.

"Nagiisa ka Kimberly!" He surrendered knowing her best friend. That was the magic word "Nagiisa ka."

Kim wants the magic word whenever she wants to tell her best friend something confidential that no one should know.

"I'm coming home!" She excitedly informed him.

"Yun lang? Yun na yung good news?" Kunwari hindi masaya. "So, kelan uwi mo?" He was laughing when she didn't say anything.

"Hoy, joke lang yun. Syempre masaya ako. Wag ka na magtampo. Eto naman." He sounded sorry.

"You're picking me up at the airport. Just you." She was serious.

"Butttt... wait... but." Oliver was about to asked something.

"Wag ka na umangal." She texted him.