Family is just another word for disaster

Let's Not Talk About It

Chapter 4:

 

The pink gift bag sits on the kitchen counter top and I contemplate about it. It’s been sitting in the same spot since two nights ago. I take another sip of coffee and continue to stare at the bag.

“What to do?” I mumble. My curiosity of what is in the bag is balanced with wanting to shove it in the back of my closet and ignore it. I know. I’m a coward.

My phone goes off and I begrudgingly unlock it to answer. 

“June.”

“I’m just calling to remind you we have dinner reservations at 6pm for tonight. So don’t be late,” My older sister, everyone. Many times I wonder what can possibly be up her . I mean I could think of a couple reasons. But none justify the hostile attitude she has towards me. Then again I have not done anything to mend things between her or my brother.

“I think I know better than to show up late for my own birthday dinner with our family.” I grumble. Jiho is right I do have a smart mouth.

“Right.” A long pause follows. “I’ll see you tonight then.” And hangs up. I don’t even know why she bothers to call; a text or e-mail will do just the same.

I have 10 hours before tonight. The dinner isn’t intentionally made for my birthday celebration to be honest. I mean it doesn’t even take place on the day of. My father had been attempting to gather us together and used my day of birth to sugar coat his intentions. He also announced to the media, strategically creating difficulty for anyone of us to avoid it.

So, there wouldn’t be a surprise if uninvited guests made their appearance to document the family reunion for their gossip columns. Though, I’m sure they are far more interesting news. Like which SNSD member is dating, for example. They are all dating. Trust me on this.

A loud knock is heard from the entrance door, followed by a couple more poundings with a reggae beat to it. I rush to swing the door open before the song reaches its peak.

“I have neighbors still asleep at this time!” I grab the arm of my disruptive visitor and yank him inside.

“Is that a way to greet your Oppa?” Taewoon’s smile curls upwards; he leans forward and far too close for my comfort. Taewoon and Jiho are both taller than me and it slightly irritates me how I have to tilt my head up when addressing them.

“ Ew, don’t call yourself that and let’s not forget I already have a warning from when you and Jiho turned my living room into a soccer stadium.” I step back. I try to avert his eyes without being too conspicuous about it. Taewoon has always made me nervous but I don’t want him knowing that.

“So, move in with me.” I back into the couch with a thump and unravel words suggested by Taewoon. “This that the present Jiho gave you?” Taewoon’s attention switches to the pink bag on the countertop. He abandons me in the living room area and walks into the kitchen to peek underneath the tissue paper.

“Um, yea. I haven’t opened it yet.” I blink.

“Why not?” Taewoon seems immensely intrigued by whatever is inside of the pink bag.

“I’ve been really exhausted coming home the past nights.” I fib. Because I’m a coward I should have said. “What is it?” I try to peek over Taewoon’s extensive shoulders.

“Take a look,” he pushes the bag into my arms and wanders further into my kitchen. “Seriously, is that what you were having for breakfast? Coffee?”

“Yea.” I mumble, while staring at the bag before me. Taewoon saw it and thought nothing of it. I pull out the tissue revealing a black USB underneath. There is small writing on along the top; I reach into the bag to grab the item I was so afraid of.

 

Zico’s mix tape. Happy birthday, Maggie!

 

“Are you going to listen to it?” Taewoon stands in front of the refrigerator and brings out carton of eggs and container of kimchi I had gotten from Mama Woo. She always sends me food when the boys visit her.

“No. Not yet. The last time Jiho gave me one of his mix tapes it had lots of explicit language.” I shake my head. I’m not a fan of rap, hip-hop, or whatever genre Jiho and Taewoon are into. All I know they’re good at what they do. “What are you doing?”

“Making you breakfast. Somebody has to take care of you.” I tuck the USB into my pocket and help Taewoon find the rest of the ingredients he needs. I can’t cook but I’m a awesome kitchen assistant.

“This is really good. Did your mom teach you how to make this?” I dip another piece of pancake and take a bite.

“Actually, it was Sejoon, the one with the eyebrows. It’s one of his hidden talents, apparently.”

“Oh, the one who thought we were dating.” I blurt. I meant to keep that to myself but the words left me.

“Yes, that’s the one. He still teases me about it.” Taewoon smiles. He reaches for the last piece of pancake and offers it to me. I shake my head to turn him down.

We gather our plates and clean up the mess we left all over the kitchen area. I rinse off the plates and Taewoon places it in the dishwasher.

“We’re going to be promoting a new song.” Taewoon loads the last dish into the washer and closes it. He leans on one hand over the counter. “So, I’m to be busy again.”

“Right. Idol life.” I comment.

“You still have Jiho. I heard his comeback got pushed back. Of course, Block B is going to be preparing for their overseas tour but he always manages to find time for you.” Taewoon moves in enclosing the space between us. He wraps me into a hug. It felt different, almost melancholic. Or that could be just me. “Don’t miss me too much.” He murmurs into my hair before letting go.

I walk him to the door. My cat makes an appearance and walks by aridly, from out of my room and into the kitchen.

“She has no manners.” I snip. Taewoon chuckles and opens the door.

“Good bye Maggie.” He pauses as to say something else but decides against and waves.

How odd.

---------------------------------------------------

 

Dinner went exactly how I expected. Photographers stood outside the restaurant focusing to capture my father and June. I’m the most unknown out of my siblings and I am not too disappointed on the fact.

Oddly enough, Jason was an actual decent human being. He chattered nonchalantly and smiled all through dinner. Even our mother was suspicious about his unusual behavior. My first assumption is he had a little bit more to drink before arriving.

“I have an announcement to make.” Jason garners all of our attention. Even June is attentive about his speech. “First of all, happy birthday to our little Maggie. I know we don’t have the closest relationship but I am proud of you.” Well, if he wasn’t drunk before he is now. “Now, for my news. I want you all to know that I am engaged to a wonderful girl.” And he dropped the bomb. I do not know who this girl is but from the look of my mother’s face, she does not approve.

The table is washed over in silence. My father looks back and forth from Jason’s bemused facial expression to my mother’s stone stare. Dinner ends shortly after.

I wait for the valet to bring my car.

“Looks like there’s going to be a new favorite.” June blatantly remarks. She is also waiting for her car to be brought up.

“Right. Enjoy the spotlight.”

“I wasn’t talking about me.” She scoffs. “I think we both know I ruined that a long time ago.” That is partially true. When June was 15 she got it through her head she wanted to be an entertainer. Like one of those idol groups Jiho and Taewoon are part. She got accepted by an agency, all against my mother’s will that is, and almost debuted in a girl group. Her popularity had hit a quite high for being a daughter of a well-known CEO. But she quit before the group released a single or performed on stage. I never found out of it was her choice or by my mother’s. Anyways, thanks to June there is a lot more interest in CSP and that is enough to please our mother.

I don’t say anything. I acknowledge June on our departure. I tip the valet, and drive away. I would prefer to have Jiho drive me home at this time.

 I arrive home and fill the cats bowl with fresh water and food before walking into my room. The clothes I had worn earlier are carelessly thrown on my bedroom floor and so I pick them up to throw into the hamper. I check the pockets before tossing everything inside and pull out Jiho’s gift.

I insert the back USB into my laptop. Music begins to play in a softer tune I’ve been accustomed to hearing from him. I drift off to sleep with Jiho’s lullaby playing in the background.

“Happy birthday, baby girl.”