One

There's something about him

It was today, the day I noticed more than ever how he kept his eyes on me, and only me. My cheeks were burning as I tried not look in his direction. With being literally centimeters apart, I wanted something to happen but knew it would not. Monday mornings had changed ever since I set my eyes on him.

I remember it quite well, the first time we saw one another amidst the usual hustle and bustle in the University canteen. I arrived earlier than usual, lining up to buy some water since I knew the first three hour lecture would be a killer. The line was ridiculously long. I jolted my head back towards the main entrance, hoping I would spot a friend or course-mate. I was only in my first Semester and found it difficult to actually socialise since conversation seemed to be limited. It's a bit hard talking about just about anything with people you just met five minutes ago. But, I was making an effort. Anyhow, to no avail, I turned back, my eyes now focusing on my phone, checking Twitter. I hated being so addicted to my phone but I also hated looking very awkward in a queue full of people. I became bored and could tell I looked most likely morbid, since that was my usual Monday morning 'look', according to my sister, and so I decided to just stand, no phone in hand. It was then, that it struck me.

As I glanced to my left, I spotted a couple sat at a table, the girl laughing. But it wasn't her I was focusing on. My eyes found themselves staring right at him, the guy with jet black hair and those piercing eyes, those awfully y eyes. I don't know what it was, but he was damn good looking. Though I wanted to stare a little longer, I couldn't allow myself to do so since he sensed me looking. I embarrassingly jolted my head back, facing the dinner lady who was waiting to serve me. I didn't realise the queue had shortened and faffed around, trying to find my purse in my bag. However, I could sense his stare, and from the corner of my eye, I proved myself right. I sighed sharply, feeling that awful burning sensation arise in my cheeks, 'Thanks,' I managed to mumble, grabbing my change before making a sharp exit. 

 

The next time I saw him, it was brief. Again, he was with his friend whom seemed to be just that, a friend. That was a relief. That morning though, I was in a rush since I had two minutes to get to my class but I was in dire need of water or else I would lose concentration. It was seriously my lucky day since the queue was short, so I quickly grabbed myself a bottle and paid. As I turned to rush to class, he was stood right in-front of me, waiting for his friend to follow. I felt a tad frustrated since I wanted to see him but I had to rush past. But I do know he saw me, not that I thought he thought anything of it.

It had been an awfully long while since I saw him again, until the start of Semester two. Sure, we spotted one another here and there but only for a few seconds each time. However, the next time gave me an inkling he may have developed some sort of liking towards me. Either that, or he generally needed to go in my direction. I recall being so rushed for time, since it was deadline day and I literally had to print out my essay and hand it in, and all I had was ten minutes to do so as I had class. If I had decided to print my essay at lunch, I would have been late and missed the deadline.

The stupid University computers were being extra slow that morning, not that they weren't always that crappy every day. I had firstly spotted him in the canteen as I rushed to buy myself an apple, water and some sort of confectionery item for that extra boost since I felt a tad crappy. It was shortly after, when I had finally logged on, that I realised he had followed me upstairs, but his friend was with him. My heart sunk as I wondered whether they maybe were more than just friends. However, after a few minutes of them talking, she left and he sat just beside me, leaving one computer between us both. I glanced out of the corner of my eye, as always, and noticed his eyes focused on me. Silly thoughts rushed to my head, the first being was he here for me, to see me? But I told myself otherwise and remembered the pressure I was under. I ignored his presence as I quickly submitted my essay online, which felt like forever, and sent my work to print. I kept on sighing which probably looked really unattractive but I couldn't care less, I had to go as soon as I logged out.

As I left, I felt guilty, hoping he had actually come to the IT Suite just for me, but I pushed those thoughts to the side as I had to rush. I had to leave that quick since the damn printer, in that IT Suite had broken down, thus my continuous sighing. The only other printer I knew of was halfway across the building. I didn't look back since the stress was too much, and carried on my way.

The next week, it was bloody freezing and I turned up to Uni looking awful. I had hardly slept and did not even want to exist on such a dreadful Monday. It was that day that he looked different, and all the more attractive. Sat with a grey beanie and black leather jacket, he had his back to me. That was until his friend spoke, and he turned immediately to face me. I couldn't bare to look for more than ten seconds, I felt so shy which made me want to slap myself. I couldn't believe he would waste precious seconds looking at the abomination that was me. It was then I felt worse about myself and realised that my shyness was in-fact giving off the wrong impression. I knew that from that moment, he would lose interest, if he had any at all.

 

It had been quite a few weeks, again, since I last saw him until today. It was today which raised my suspicions all the more. I had arrived early, thank god, and there was no sign of him until I returned from the library (since I had returned some books). I walked past where he was sitting with his friends, to the loo and knew he didn't see me since he was staring in the opposite direction, with his back to me.

I returned and noticed my friends were sat at the table in-front of his, with my ex-crush which was annoying. I developed a crush on this certain friend on our enrollment day, until I realised he had a girlfriend. It was quite awkward seeing him since I guessed he may have noticed I liked him back then, but it was completely different now. Anyway, I ignored said friend and began chatting away with another friend, and noticed him staring. It was the most weird yet great situation. Since he was sat with his back to me, it would have been terribly obvious he was looking, if he had just turned in his chair. Instead, he surprised me a little as he leant back on his chair, leaning his head backwards, with those piercing eyes focused on me. I tried to not let this affect me but I could tell I was drifting away from the conversation I was having, but I daren't look straight at him. Instead, I felt myself looking out of the corner of my eye, as usual, fully focusing on my friends' words this time. I noticed how he just stayed in that position, watching as I laughed and shrugged, and made animated gestures to my friend, trying my hardest not to blush and lose my cool. I reckon it was a good ten minutes he stayed like that, watching as I continued to chatter away with my other friend, who arrived shortly after. Each time I turned back to talk to the first friend, I sensed his eyes still on me. His hair was styled differently today, though, gelled upwards. Regardless, it suited him. He stole one quick glance as he headed off to class, leaving me wondering just what his bloody name was and an endless amount of other questions.

I spent the whole day trying not to think about him, waiting for next Monday.

 

 

 

 

 

(side note ---- this is actually real sigh at my life rn)