Visit

Half-Empty, Half-Full

A/N: WooKey with the rest of SHINee. I got the idea from watching the Idol Championships back in 2011 (?) where Woohyun formally greets Jonghyun before holding hands with Key and walking with him.

Woohyun stares at the door, raises his hand to knock, then stops just before he makes contact. It isn’t the first time he’s come over to SHINee’s dorm to play, he reminds himself. He just has to act natural, smile and politely greet whoever opens the door for him, and wait for Kibum. Rolling his shoulders in an attempt to rid himself of the jittery sensation inside his skin, he exhales and raps his knuckles lightly against the door.

A muffled Yes, coming resounds. Woohyun mentally steels himself for whatever’s coming next. Kibum had said they would all be home, and it was the perfect chance to get to know the other members a little better before they headed out for the night. He’s uneasy with the idea, but agrees anyway, seeing the hopeful look in Kibum’s eyes.

The door swings open. “Oh, hello there, Woohyun.”

SHINee’s leader, Onew is all smiles, and Woohyun feels some of the tension seep away. Dressed in an oversized shirt and sweatpants, he seems nothing like the intimidating figure who kept an ever-watchful eye on him whenever he and Kibum flirted and played around.

After he returns the greeting, Onew-hyung ushers him inside. The other three members are all in the living room, and he bows his head courteously to Jonghyun-hyung, nods to Minho, and waves at the maknae, Taemin. The nervousness from earlier comes back and multiplies tenfold, and he sits stiffly next to Onew-hyung, hands folded primly across his lap and legs pressed together, while the other three look on in interest.

“Woohyun,” he jerks involuntarily when Onew-hyung speaks, voice low and soft, “so you and our Kibum are going out for the evening?” He manages to answer ‘yes’ without stuttering, but the smile he flashes quickly fades when SHINee’s leader doesn’t reciprocate the gesture. He settles for smiling at the others, but they glance back at him flatly, unimpressed.

“Kibum said he wanted to watch this movie, and then eat dinner together,” Woohyun isn’t sure why he bothers explaining. What he and Kibum do shouldn’t be any of the other SHINee members’ concern, not when they do it during their personal time off. There’s something about the dangerous glint in the leader’s eye that prevents him from saying as much, though.

Jonghyun-hyung lets out a bark of laughter. “And then it’s off to the hotel for you guys, right? Am I right? Good luck not getting recognized by fans, though, hah, or it’s another scandal for us.”

Silence. The crowd’s attention shifts from him to the main vocalist.

“Hyung, you’re so crude,” Taemin whispers, expression mortified.

Minho stands up and delivers a spiteful kick to Jonghyun-hyung’s shin, earning a howl of pain. “You’re not one to talk.” Woohyun is too stunned to react to what’s happening. Did Jonghyun-hyung just imply that he and Kibum…? He didn’t expect Minho to jump to his (well, more Kibum’s) defense, either.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry,” the blond man yelps, holding up a hand in protest when Minho glowers at him and looks like he’d like to do much worse. “Hyung, tell him to lay off already.” Kibum, Woohyun thinks, Kibum hurry up!

The oldest member gestures at Minho to calm down, and then turns his famous eye-smile on Jonghyun-hyung. “Wanna play ttakbam?” Woohyun freezes and mutters under his breath please please Kibum hurry up hurry up.

It’s an eternity before Kibum makes his way to the living room, and Woohyun is mentally and emotionally exhausted. He has to smile when Kibum enters, though, because Kibum is breathtakingly beautiful as always and just seeing him is enough to bring tears to his eyes. Kibum, his other half.

They’re on their way out, bidding goodbyes while walking hand in hand, when Onew-hyung approaches them, motioning for them to open their palms. He drops two aluminium foil packets in their hands.

“Practice safe ,” he says conspiratorially. Kibum gapes at him, and then starts laughing hysterically, burrowing his face into Woohyun’s shoulder.

Woohyun smiles back.

“Of course.”