First Snow

First Snow

The vibrant green grass was blanketed by fluffy white snow, so fresh and new that it appeared to shine against the differing color of the grass. I held my hand out to let a unique star shaped snow flake flitter onto me, glittering in its chilly whiteness. This was the first snow of winter.
       
      I could only smile cheerfully while sipping my hot coffee, taking in the sight before me; even though the sun was shining brightly, the snow continues to coat the ground. Despite the beauty of the scenery, I sighed, propping one hand under my chin. I couldn’t find any kind of inspiration. Nothing. There wasn’t one thing that could even make me wanna paint…or even sketch. It was driving me crazy!
      
      It could be this time of year….So nostalgic…
      
      I sighed once more, a puff of cold breath. Absentmindedly, I looked around at nothing in particular….that was….until I saw Her. Oooohhh Shisus…
      
      I blinked a few times, moving to run my fingers through my messy dark reddish hair only to realize that I forgot that I was wearing a freaking beanie….that fell on the ground. Wae….I just only saw her but something about her was familiar…like I’ve met her before. I just couldn’t stop staring at her….this pretty girl…
      
      She had just walked into the café, her shiny long dark hair flowing around her as she smiled and nodded at the barista, ordering some kind drink and pastry. I could see from my seat right outside the little café’, not that I was being creepy….just attentive? No, more like curious….intrigued.
      
      My muse was gone…long gone, or so I thought. I had been searching for the perfect inspiration…and here it is. I HAVE to draw her!
      
      Of course I patiently waited for her to sit down and get settled before I stood. Grabbing my beanie off of the moist ground and snagging my coffee, I lazily walked to her table with an embarrassed laugh as I approached her. She looked up at me with confused pretty light brown eyes as her glossed lips drew down into a curious frown as she regarded me….not like I was some creeper…hopefully. 
      
      “Ahm…yes? Can I help you with something? “She asked, a sleek brow eyebrow raised. I just laughed even more in my nervousness, my cheeks faintly glowing pink. I bowed a few times to be polite and respectful, still with that laugh. Damn, why am I so nervous? It’s just one girl, I ask girls to model for me a lot! But not girls this pretty… “Okay, this is gonna sound weird but…I’m an artist..and…well…” Took a breath and laughed some more…”Well I really wanna draw a portrait of you.” FINALLY, I managed to get the words out. I rubbed the back of my neck in embarrassment as her pretty eyes scrutinized me from head to toe, but…she didn’t seem to be irritated.
      
      As if she just realized what I had said or something, made a cute little O shape in surprise. “Waaaaeeeee? Me?!” Her eyes widened as she stared at me, blinking repeatedly. She looked like a doe or something, with that ultra-cute expression, I almost wanted to laugh but I get the feeling she might just smack me if I did. I just stared at her with an odd expression, I mean, I just couldn’t understand why she was so surprised that someone asked her to model for them. After all, I thought she was the most breath taking girl I’d ever seen…
      
      “Aish….just say yes.” I urged her with a small cheeky grin. “Please.”
      
      Shaking her head gently with a chuckle, she looked up at me again. “Well I can’t say no to that now can I….?” With a simple hand gesture, she invited me to sit down. 
      
      I could finally get a better look at her, what she was wearing. Her style made me just freaking smile, so cute and simple. She wore a cute knitted beanie on her head and a scarf to match the same color and everything, a pair of light jeans and a patterned long sleeve over shirt, which looked too big with a simple tank underneath. White high-top sneakers to match…simple…I like simple girls. 
      
      Sitting down next to her, I smiled brightly, showing off my so called ‘cheerful’ personality….or so my hyungs always said. “My name is Byun Baekhyun, it’s a pleasure.” She nodded slowly, as if the wheels in her brain were turning or something…until it looked like she had an ‘AHA’ light bulb moment. “Ah, just call me Risa…I knew I recognized you from somewhere as soon as I saw you! You’re the guy who sells art at the art walk near the river right? I’ve bought artwork from you before, I’m sure of it!” 
      
      Talking fast and answering her own questions, I found that amusing and endearing…but her dimpled smile was just sunny and beautiful. “I also thought you looked familiar…kekekeke that’s pretty ironic huh?” I leaned forward, my head now resting on my right hand. She nodded suddenly and I raised a dark brow. “I’ll take you up on that offer…but I have one thing that is a requirement.” 
      
      “Yah…tell me.” I found myself immediately curious as to why she had started blushing, adorably covering her cheeks with her little hand with the ocean blue nails. Moving her hands from her cheeks, she then started fiddling with the hem of her shirt, nervously giggling. “Just promise me that you won’t sell this…I don’t want a portrait of myself on some creepy guys wall.” She looked down at her yummy looking pastry, which I clearly saw was a French croissant with chocolate filling, and picked it up….taking a small bite out of it. I’m guessing that she was…trying to be petite because she thought I would judge her for taking a big bite?
      
      Her words, however, made me laugh out loud. Not that I could even help it, she’s just too damn cute! Reaching out, I grabbed her hand and took it in my own, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Ne…I’ll tell you what, Risa, you can have it once I’m done. Do whatever you want with it, it’s yours to keep.” 
      
      Surprised yet again, but in a good way, she smiled at me again. She has this eye smile…I really should stop taking note of every detail of her face…
      
      “I’ll give it to my Umma for her birthday…” She seemed to get a bit flustered at this point. “Listen Baekhyun…T-thank you for asking me…I’m just…I’m so flattered.” Her cheeks were a faint pink hue as she gazed at me, making me wonder how old she really is. She looked to be around 18…really innocent looking. I shook my head then at her words. “No need to thank me, really…you’re the one helping me out.”
      I didn’t wanna let her hand go, even if I’d managed to get chocolate on my hand from hers. Risa’s hand just felt so…right in mine. She sure didn’t seem to mind either, as we both smiled stupidly at one another….which caused both of us to burst into laughter. She finally, and slowly at that, pulled her hand from mine and laughed once more when she saw the chocolate stains on my hand. “Sorry…my friends always tell me that I’m a messy eater.”
      
      “It’s okay…” I smiled like an idiot still, unable to tear my eyes away from her…but I had more pressing matters, like grabbing onto this inspiration to create art before it was gone without a trace like it had been for the last few months. “So, I don’t really have any plans today, would it be alright if we immediately started?” I was taken aback by her willingness to get started, but I nodded slowly. “Sure, we can start right away.” 
      
      
      
      All the supplies I needed were neatly placed around me as I made a quick sketch of Risa. She looked a bit uneasy at first but that’s not what I wanted to capture. I didn’t want some stuffy looking picture of her smiling like she had a gun to her head…what I wanted was to capture her true beauty, something not rehearsed. So we sat around and chatted a bit, I made her laugh….that’s what I sketched. 
      
      She peeked over my shoulder looking curious, a finger placed in as she nibbled on the nail. “Is that me?” 
      
      “It’s just a sketch…I’m going to draw it onto the canvas and paint over the drawing…”She was making me nervous, the tone of her voice made it sound like she didn’t like the sketch. “N-no, I actually think it’s really pretty…” That made me smile. “Well I’ve got the sketch…I guess I can’t force you to stay here anymore.” I chuckled, but actually, I didn’t want her to go…we just have this…this connection. Ugh, I need to stop being such a dreamer…
      
      “Wae? I wanna stay here and watch you paint…” And there is that adorable little blush and giggle combination…”Besides…I like spending time with you, Baekhyun…” I let out an internal sigh of relief. Good. She felt this…tug too. Everything about her seemed to lure me in like a Bee to honey. “I like spending time with you too, we have a lot in common.” 
      
      With that, I grabbed a lightweight graphite pencil and concentrated on drawing on the canvas. I made sure to be a bit more careful so that the picture’s base didn’t appear to have a ‘sketchy’ feel to it. She was making it so hard for me to concentrate as she pulled a chair next to me, close, and watched my every move. She’s so fragrant, it was distracting, but….calming? Must have something to do with the scent itself…like lavender or something? I shook my head, trying to get thoughts like that out of my head. We just met, essentially, so I shouldn’t be thinking of something closer than just a casual acquaintance whom I happened to draw a portrait of. Right? Then why is my heart pounding so fast?
      
      Once done with the drawing, I began to set up my color palette for painting, grabbing lots of different colors. “How long do you think it will take you to paint this?” I shrugged in a nonchalant manner, continuing to look for my paint brush. “Eh…maybe a few hours since it’s only from the neck up. I’m pretty fast when it comes to painting.” Finding my brush, I took my seat once again in the cushioned seat in front of the canvas and glanced at her…only to see her gazing at me with some…expression on her face. I really couldn’t pinpoint what was on her mind. 
      
      “You…don’t mind me watching you, do you?” Her voice was suddenly timid, and I let out an amused scoff. “No way…It’s nice to have someone here. I’m alone a lot, your company really is good. You’re so cute too, that really helps.” I looked over at her with a smirk, biting my bottom lip for a moment. “Cute? You’re the cute one! Aigoo, I just met you and I already can’t get you out of my mind!” Risa’s lightly glossed bottom lip was pulled in between her white teeth, much like my own. I laughed. 
      
      “Yah! We are too much alike! Look at both of us gnawing on our bottom lips like this…”My eyes flickered to her plump pink lips for just a moment. “I guess that must be why we click so well…” With a faint blush, she smiled while averting her eyes from me. I could only shake my head and start painting her portrait. Couldn’t get me out of her mind huh…? This was turning out to be a really interesting day...
      
      
      
      With every of the brush, I felt more and more like myself, more confident in my talents. At some point, I was consumed by this beautiful portrait and I felt compelled to make it perfect. It took me much longer than I had initially anticipated, not only because of the fact that every time that I thought I was done, I saw some minor flaw. Some flaw that wouldn’t do Risa justice. Through painting her, I felt like I was getting to know her deeply, seeing straight through to her soul. We talked, learned about each other and she even cooked me dinner. I felt like my muse had finally returned, all thanks to this kind girl with the smile that could melt an iceberg. Our interaction was so natural, it felt like we had been friends for a long time. But all good things had to come to an end, and at 9, she had to go home. 
      
      We slowly made our way outside of my apartment, the snow lazily falling from the dark majestic purplish sky. I would paint this scenery. Tonight. Probably while I would be daydreaming of Risa. She looked at me as she fiddled with her knitted light blue scarf. I could tell she wanted to say something, but was struggling to find some kind of way to say what she wanted to. I was tongue tied myself…damn…what to even say? I didn’t want it to end like this…after bonding…
      
      “Will you mail the portrait to me?” She finally asked, her hands now resting in her pockets. Mail it to her? “Mail it? OR I could just give it to you tomorrow once it’s dried and I’m able to put some final touches on it and frame it for you.” I smiled a smile that I THOUGHT was irresistible to girls, my smile reaching my eyes. I knew I genuinely like Risa and want to spend more time with her….now to convince her. 
      
      “Oh you would do that? I was gonna pay to have it framed—“I interrupted her. “No need. I will do it for free. How about…I’ll make sure I’m done by tomorrow afternoon. Meet me at that cafe’ we met at earlier. I’ll give it to you then.” She began to nibble on her bottom lip, mulling over what I said. “Okay, sure…I’d like that. Can I have your number so….you know…” She began to get nervous and flustered, stuttering over her words. “I know what?” I raised a brow with a slightly flirtatious smirk, reaching out to gently catch a snowflake that had landed in her shiny dark brown hair. She gasped then, a puff of cool air, as her eyes widened. I leaned over just slightly, my lips hovering above her trembling light pink lips. Just as Risa’s pretty eyes began to close in acceptance of the kiss she was sure I would give her, my lips placed a soft kiss on her cheek. With both hands in my pocket, I leaned away from her.
      
      Risa’s eyes fluttered open, her cheeks a vibrant red and a look of confusion written all over her face. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “Aigoo, what the hell was that, Baekhyun?” I snagged her phone from her cold hand, quickly programming my number into her phone. “There…don’t forget to text me…anytime. Even tonight…” With that, I turned to walk back into the lobby of my apartment complex, leaving her there speechless. “W-wait! But you don’t know my number!” With a grin, I turned as I opened the door. “That’s why you gotta text me.” With a little wink, I walked inside, making sure that she was safe by watching her through the see through window. I smiled in amusement to myself, this cute girl….
      
      On days like this, the first snow….has always led me to something that changed my life.