Chapter Eight

Of True Love and Ghost Girls

Everything is going according to plan.

Okay, she doesn't have an actual plan. Just some vague sort of idea really that involves Hoya and herself and maybe something like a love story to span the ages and... well, that's about it. Oh yeah, and Sunggyu confessing to Joo-hee! But that's more of a side mission that she hasn't really thought of given her newly reinstated mortality.

"Maybe you should take a break?" Sunggyu says from across the table heavy with so much food that the short legs wobble a little. "You've already finished three orders of samgyupsal. You don't want to die of a heart attack right after you just came back to life."

She stares at him in horror for a moment before smacking his hand that's about to reach for a piece of grilled pork. "Don't be mean," she chastizes.

"Don't be violent," he retorts, rubbing the back of his hand to remove the sting. "You can stand to be a little kinder to the person who's paying for your meal."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Nayoung brings her free hand to her heart and blinks. "Do I look like a charity case to you? I have my own money, thank you very much."

Sunggyu manages to steal one of her a piece of pork innocently laying on her plate and Nayoung shoots him a nasty look. "Stop stealing, you ugly petty thief."

"Stop hogging all the food, you short weird zombie."

Nayoung narrows her eyes on him and his grinning idiot face and promptly orders another serving of meat. "There. Something for you to pay for and eat all by yourself," she says triumphantly before shoving a lettuce wrap into . She catches Sunggyu wince as if in extreme disgust. "What?" she demands through full of food.

But Sunggyu merely shakes his head and averts his eyes. Whatever.

"So how long do you figure you'll be human for?" Sunggyu asks as they head back to school. After her very satisfying meal, Sunggyu suggested cutting the rest of the day but Nayoung immediately shot down the idea.

Hoya's still there, after all. And she wants to finally be able to talk to him. Maybe touch him. Maybe kidnap him so that he'll be hers forever.

A girl can dream, can't she?

"I don't know," she answers with a shrug, "I guess until you finish up your business with Joo-hee?" She tries to deliver it with as much nonchalance that she can muster. On the inside, though, she's pretty much a quiet mess. She doesn't want to think about having to leave when she just got here. She doesn't want to think about having to let go of a boy she's managed to cross paths with once again.

Sunggyu shoves his hands into his pants pockets. "So I confess and you leave?" he asks her quietly.

"I haven't even been here a day and already you're trying to get rid of me?" she nudges him and though the conversation is making her sad, she grins because she knows that this doesn't happen. A second chance. She loops her arm with Sunggyu's and smiles up at him. "How about you keep me around for a while longer?"

He rolls his eyes but she catches his answering smile. "Yeah, whatever. I guess it won't hurt." They come to a stop at a street corner. "So what's it like? Not being a ghost and not having your powers?"

"Well. I have to remind myself not to bump into any walls," she jokes and Sunggyu laughs. "I suppose it'll take some getting used to. Especially the teleporting. This walking business is so tiring!"

"Is it everything you remember it being? Being human again?"

"Aside from everything being generally more polluted?" She pauses, considering her words. "It is, I suppose. Breathing... that feeling when you inhale and then exhale. Feeling your heart beat inside your chest. Feeling the ground beneath your feet" She squeezes Sunggyu's arm, not painfully but enough to make him want to shake her off  little. "Being able to hold another person... It's awesome, Sunggyu."

He nods slowly. "Talking about feet... Have you tried dancing again?"

She falls silent as they cross the street. She doesn't want to say that she's scared. That she doesn't want to try just yet because it might not be the way she remembers it being. That her legs won't be as strong beneath her or her body won't bend the way she wants it to.

So she just smiles again. It's a little empty but it's enough for now. "Maybe later?" she suggests. "Maybe you can sing for me again."

Her words have the desired effect of shutting Sunggyu up, and the pretty pink blush on his cheeks is almost cute.

They make it back to school in time for the lunch bell and they share a smile before heading to the lunchroom. "I'll introduce you to the guys," Sunggyu promises. "I don't even want to think about what Dongwoo's told them."

Nayoung recalls what happened early that morning, with Sunggyu acting like a weirdo and him dragging her out of the classroom. She can't imagine what people are saying about her. Hopefully nothing too awful or presumptious. Of course that's not going to happen. They're in high school where everything is awful and everyone has an opinion about something. They stop in front of the double doors leading to the cafeteria and Nayoung looks up to see Sunggyu staring back at her with a pointed look on his face.

"What?"

He lifts his arm that's still encased in her own. "This isn't exactly the impression we want to give everyone."

She quickly lets go of the arm she had been holding onto all this time. Sunggyu's right. He rarely is but when he is, he's really right. She turns to him then fully then brushes her fingers through the tangles of her hair. "Do I look okay?" she asks him, feeling self-conscious for the first time in decades.

"Wait," he says, then after a moment suddenly pulls on her bun, sending her hair down her shoulders in a mess. "I've always wanted to do that. Your hair's always looked like it's waiting for birds to nest in it."

Nayoung frowns and pulls at the strands of her hair. "If it was a mess then, it's definitely a mess now."

Sunggyu shakes his head then runs his fingers through her hair, the tips of her fingers gently touching her scalp before pulling their way to the end pausing when they encounter knots. Carefully, he untangles her hair and once he's done Nayoung shoves him away from her.

"Of course you only push me after I've done all the work," he sighs.

She grins before shaking her hair out. "Okay, thank you or whatever. So. Better?"

He nods. "Ready for your second high school debut?"

Instinctively, her hand reaches out and smacks his shoulder and Sunggyu rubs it immediately. "So strong for someone so tiny," he whines pitifully. He pushes the door open and the noise from inside rushes over the both of them.

"Ready?"

Nayoung takes a deep breath then nods. "As I'll ever be."

They try to get to the table at the center where Sunggyu's friends are as inconspicuously as possible. Sort of impossible, seeing as how Nayoung is the new transfer student that everyone's curious about and Sunggyu her kidnapper and potential assaulter. So no matter how quietly they do manage to cut across the cafeteria to the middle, everyone's attention is focused on the two of them.

Nayoung bites on her lower lip as she begins to feel a little anxious at all the attention that they're receiving, not so quiet whispers seemingly attacking them from all corners of the room. As much as her eyes want to start wandering around the cafeteria to look for Hoya, she knows that that kind of behavior isn't exactly normal. She wants to fit in, wants to be someone other than the person she was so so long ago. She wants this to finally work out for her. And so her fingers clutch at the hem of her skirt as she follows after Sunggyu who seems irritatingly unaffected by the whole ordeal, while she's suddenly feeling meek and not herself at all. She keeps her head down and her eyes follow the shiny tips of her penny loafers as her feet move forward until she bumps into Sunggyu's back.

They're standing beside his friends' table and Nayoung can feel the four curious pair of eyes studying them. Sunggyu turns around and looks at her questioningly, eyes uncharacteristically wide and she sort of hates how he's all concerned about her. Kim "The Gutless One" Sunggyu? Worried about her? That makes little to no sense. But here he is, looking at her like she's vulnerable and weak and she isn't, dammit!

So she glares at him until he shakes his head and chuckles softly. "Let me introduce you to my friends," he announces a little loudly—more for his friends' benefit than for hers.

She nods before bowing formally to the four boys sitting at the table. "Hello! I'm Kwon Nayoung."

That seems to push them all into action and the four boys immediately get to their feet, taking turns introducing themselves. Once done, she moves to the seat at the end of the table beside Dongwoo. Woohyun has other plans, however, and pushes Dongwoo into that seat, effectively freeing up the seat beside him.

"Sit here, Nayoung-sshi," Woohyun says gallantly, offering the newly vacated chair beside him with a flourish of his hand.

"Uh," Nayoung hesitates and looks over to Sunggyu who merely shrugs and takes the seat in front of Woohyun. She gives a resigned sigh and slides into the chair. "Thanks."

"You guys aren't eating?" Myungsoo asks, though his concentration belongs solely on his homework.

Nayoung shakes her head. "We went to get something to eat earlier so we're good. But thanks for asking." She almost adds Myungsoo-yah at the end but catches herself just in time. Well, that and the fact that she wants to lean over and run her finger across the bridge of his nose.

This being human again is a lot of getting used.

"You cut class to eat?" Her back stiffens when she feels Woohyun's lips coming a mere few centimeters from her ear and edges away from him a bit.

"Don't bother the new girl," Sunggyu says gruffly before turning back to Myungsoo and his homework to help him out.

"About that," Woohyun finally peels himself off her and leans back against his chair, "You two are pretty chummy for two people who just met each other."

"But we didn't just meet," Nayoung points out and she can feel Sunggyu's eyes boring holes into her forehead.

"Nayoung—" Sunggyu interrupts.

"I live across the street from him," she quickly explains. "In the old Lee house with the leaky roof and the rose bush out front?"

And again she feels Sunggyu's eyes boring holes into her forehead. "Right," he deadpans.

"Right!" she says brightly, giving him and everyone else a bright smile. "We moved in yesterday."

"You and your family."

She narrows her eyes at Sunggyu. "Yes. Myself and my grandmother," she tells him and his eyes go comically wide with surprise, which he is quick to hide.

"And the rest of your family?" Woohyun asks and thankfully, this time, he stays at a respectable distance.

"In America," she says on a cough, "They, uh, they were transferred there recently so I moved my grandmother and I moved here from, um, Busan. Where we're from because of, uh," she pauses and glares at the way Sunggyu has his brow raised in challenge, "Stuff. Because of stuff. Yeah."

"Hey, the new guy Hoya's from Busan," Dongwoo cuts in despite his mouth being full of food and Nayoung's heart hastens its beat at the mere mention of his name.

"I like Busan," Sungyeol offers.

"All the pretty girls are from Busan," Woohyun once again contributes his uncomfortable comments.

"Er, thanks," Nayoung replies lamely, wanting to sink into her chair, "I guess."

Sunggyu merely shakes his head then pulls out his phone and fiddles with it. She wants to kick him under the table, but the possibility of hitting Woohyun instead and giving him the wrong impression makes her cross her legs at the ankles.

Sungyeol, finally finished with his lunch, pushes his tray away from him and gives her a toothy grin. "Noona, do I have to call you noona? You look even younger than me and everyone knows I'm the maknae here."

"But isn't Myungsoo younger than you, though?" Nayoung smiles back.

Sungyeol tilts his head, his expression full of wonder. "I... How did you know that?"

Nayoung mentally slaps herself when she realizes what she's just said. "I—uh—"

"Because she's a weirdo, that's why," Sunggyu replies while not even bothering to look up. "Stop calling yourself the maknae just because you think it makes you seem cute."

Nayoung hides a smile behind her hand as she watches Sunggyu and Sungyeol go at it. She knows that despite their many disagreements, Sungyeol is the closest to Sunggyu of the other hyungs and that's why he doesn't ever think twice about getting into it with Sunggyu.

"Yo! Sunggyu," Woohyun calls out before casually draping his arm across the back of Nayoung's chair. "The love of your life at three o'clock. That dude has about five thousand times more game than you."

They collectively turn their heads and see Joo-hee and Hoya sitting together, their heads nearly touching. Nayoung's breath catches in when, by sheer timing, Hoya leans back and she can finally see him.

Then their eyes lock.

It's exactly like she remembers.

Her heart beats faster and her mind goes blank and there are no words in and is dry and her palms are sweaty and it doesn't help that all she wants to do is run to him and wrap her arms around him and feel him and—

"Are they together?" Sungyeol asks carefully.

"Nah," Dongwoo's muffled answer calms Nayoung rising anxiety somewhat, "Not yet at least."

"Not yet," Sunggyu and Nayoung whisper at the same time.

When they get back to the classroom, Nayoung can't make up her mind as to whether the universe is conspiring with or against her. She manages to snag the seat in front of Sunggyu, the one beside Hoya who sits in front of Joo-hee. Basically, it's a sad little Square of Awkwardness that they're occupying. At least it is for the her and Sunggyu. Hoya and Joo-hee are two happy peas in a pod it seems.

Nayoung closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She can do this. She opens her eyes and nods, now filled with steely determination. "Hi!" she says to Hoya. "I heard you're also new here. I'm Nayoung."

Hoya seems surprised that she's talking to him but politely inclines his head and turns to face her fully. "Hey. Yeah. Just transferred a couple of weeks ago, I think it's been. I'm Hoya." He gives her a friendly, though somewhat forced, smile.

But Nayoung's happy to receive anything he gives her really. "Cool. Maybe you can show me around school then?" she suggests hopefully.

"Oh," Hoya scratches the back of his head, "But didn't Sunggyu-sshi show you around already?"

Nayoung can feel her smile falter a little and a sudden twinge in her chest appears. The physical manifestation of her emotions—heart racing, breathlessness, and all that—that's the biggest adjustment for her. The disappointment sets in and she really doesn't want to appear sad so she forces a new smile onto her face. A brighter one.

"Right. Yeah, he did."

He nods slowly. "So... Yeah. I hope you enjoy it here."

"Are you happy here?" she can't help but ask and there's a desperation in her voice that she wishes wasn't there.

He doesn't seem to notice, though. Instead his eyes flicker to Joo-hee who is busy poring over her notes. "Yeah. I am." He gives her another smile before turning back to his own notebook.

She can't quite figure out how to feel about that. Happy that he's happy or sad that he's happy or sad that he doesn't know who she is at all. Not even one "You look familiar" or "Do I know you from somewhere?" "Have we met before?"

Nothing.

And she's sitting here with her heart skipping a beat every time she looks over at him.

...

"There's something you're not telling me," Sunggyu says the following day as he waits for her while she locks the front door. Last night, he was quite freaked out at her "grandmother" that's essentially an empty corporeal being. All the qualities of the perfect grandmother are placed inside of it—soft and cuddly, warm and always concerned about whether or not you've eaten, and just generally acts like everyone younger than her is one of her relatives.

"Like a robot grandmother," Sunggyu commented after he'd gotten over Nayoung's explanation.

Nayoung hugged her fake grandmother who immediately hugged her back and said something about her not eating well enough. "Like an awesome robot grandmother," she corrected him and after eating her fake grandmother's cooking, Sunggyu was promptly and effectively shut up.

"What are you talking about?" She jiggles the knob a little to make sure that it's locked. "There's a ton of things that I don't tell you."

"Hang on," Sunggyu tells her, blocking her way from placing his hand on the door, "Did halmoni pack lunch?"

Nayoung rolls her eyes. "Yes, you big baby." Then shoves the container placed into a small cloth bag into his hands.

As soon as they step onto the sidewalk, they're joined by Myungsoo who's busy fiddling with his camera. Nayoung immediately flits over to his side and nudges him gently with her shoulder. He responds with a smile and a nod of the head.

"You're looking pretty today," he tells her gesturing at the braid that forms a crown around her head. She blushes happily to which Sunggyu merely scoffs and pushes past them.

"What's his problem?" Myungsoo asks as carefully places his camera inside his bag.

Nayoung wrinkles her nose. "I don't think he's ever needed the excuse of having problem to act like an idiot."

Myungsoo chuckles, scratching his head. "Can I be honest about something?" Nayoung nods slowly. "I don't remember who said it yesterday but I have to agree. You two are pretty close for two people who've only just met."

"Oh," Nayoung gives a nervous little laugh. "Well... I guess I'm just like that. I mean, I don't feel uncomfortable around you and we just met yesterday," she points out.

"You're right, I guess," he allows, "But I also wondering if... Do you like my hyung?"

Nayoung stops in her tracks and blinks up at him. "Wha—" she swallows, "What did you just say?"

Myungsoo points his thumb in the direction of Sunggyu's retreating back. "Sunggyu hyung. Do you like him?"

"You're kidding, right?"

He shakes his head and kicks a pebble as they move down the street after Sunggyu who has yet to look back at them. "I guess I was wrong then."

"Ten kinds of wrong, actually."

"So defensive, noona."

"Noona?" she parrots. She hasn't been called that in a long while.

"You're older than me, aren't you?"

She gives him a bright smile. "Like you wouldn't believe."

"Hyung's right. You are weird," he tells her, his tone teasing and his smile easy.

She rolls her eyes and they both hurry after Sunggyu who shoves them off as they both try to climb onto his back.

The morning passes pleasantly enough. The classes are pretty much a cakewalk for her considering that she's been in more classrooms than she'd like to admit. So she breezes past them and spends her time stealing glances at Hoya instead of copying down notes like the rest of her classmates. By the time lunch rolls around, she's already made up her mind to ask Hoya to have lunch with her. You know. Busan transfer to Busan transfer. That should lay down the foundation for an uncomplicated conversation.

She brushes invisible dust from her skirt then turns to Hoya who has his back to her. Just as she's about to tap on his shoulder, someone grabs her elbow and drags her out of the classroom.

"C'mon," Sunggyu says brusquely, his mouth set in a grim line, "We need to talk."

Apparently, they need to talk on the rooftop. Because this is high school, she reminds herself, and this sort of thing only happens in high school. She braces herself whatever ensuing drama is about to happen though she can't imagine what it could be.

This is Sunggyu, though, and she doesn't think she'll ever be able to understand him enough to predict how he'll react to things. Like bees. Or jokes. Or her telling him that he should look into plastic surgery. You know.

"What do we need to talk about?"

"You like Hoya," he tells her, even pointing an accusing finger at her face. "I see you looking at him all the time. All. The. Time. News flash: You're not exactly subtle about it either. You like him!"

She blinks at his finger then looks up at him. "I like Hoya," she agrees.

"Don't lie! I—wait, what did you say?"

"You're right." She pushes his finger away from her face. "I like Hoya. Is that all?" She turns on her heel to leave, hoping that she still has time to invite Hoya to have lunch with her. But Sunggyu is still frustratingly Sunggyu and his hand on her elbow prevents her from leaving yet again. Ugh. Escaping him was so much easier as a ghost.

"You didn't even deny it," he seems surprised for some reason. "It isn't usually this easy to get things out of you."

"Yeah, well. Whatever. Now if you'll excuse me," she pulls her arm away from his grip, "There's this thing called hunger that makes really embarrassing noises in my stomach when I don't appease it."

"Are you going to ask him out?"

"Hoya?"

"No, the fat balding chemistry teacher who has keeps a sizeable stack of magazines in his desk," Sunggyu snaps sarcastically, "Of course Hoya!"

"I don't know?" she answers honestly. "Geez, it's only been a day, Sunggyu. I don't have everything figured out!" She wishes she had her hair down so that she could run her fingers through it. The next best thing she can do is merely grit her teeth and keep herself from pushing Sunggyu off the edge of the building. She looks at him, looks at his face, his eyes that are angry but confused at the same time. At his mouth that is open and heaving air to his chest. And she wonders... No. It couldn't possibly be...

"Are you jealous?"

Then his jaw practically drops to the floor.

"Jealous?" he repeats incredulously.

She points at him. "You," then she points to herself, "like me, don't you?"

"No. No." He denies vehemently. "Are you crazy?"

"No, that would be you," she snaps, folding her arms across her chest.

Sunggyu sighs and shakes his head. "Look, I'm sorry. It's just... I'm still getting used to everything, okay? One day, you're a ghost and now you're a girl—"

"I've always been a girl," she cuts in, then gives him a cheeky smile when he levels her with a glare.

"Now you're human and... You're supposed to help me out with Joo-hee, remember? But now you're all googly-eyed for Hoya and and..."

"What about you?" Nayoung finishes softly.

"Yeah..." Sunggyu sighs again, running his hands through his hair. "I don't know. Maybe I'm just being selfish or whatever. But yeah..."

Nayoung nods slowly. "Okay. You're right."

"Wow. I am?"

She shoves his shoulder playfully. "Just this once, though," she warns him. "Listen, I have a plan."

Sunggyu grimaces. "A plan? From you?"

"Scared?"

"Very."

...

I'm sorry if it takes me a while to update this story. I think I might be losing subscribers because of the speed (or lack thereof) of updates. The truth is, I've quite the busy RL. So while it takes me a while to post new chapters, it doesn't mean that the next one isn't coming. It's really fun writing this story. I really don't want to put up chapters for the sake of updating sooner. I at least want to write something I'm satisfied with as I feel anything less would be quite rude to you guys who read and comment so faithfully. :)

On that note, thank you so much to those who continue to read my story! Hello, new subscribers! And much love to those who leave comments. <3