Grocery Runs

Suddenly Last Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the suitcases, backpacks, and purses now stowed away in their respective rooms, the group as a whole reconvened once more in the great room to figure out what to do next. As such, those who weren’t tasked to cook for Taemin’s birthday dinner were the ones assigned to raid the grocery for the ingredients, Leeteuk taking it upon himself to lead the group so to speak. That led to Sooyoung and Taeyeon to come up with a written list of ingredients as needed while Tiffany organized those going to the grocery in terms of who was riding in which car as well as figured where they could stop by to get breakfast. Needless to say, the girls winced in near unison when Leeteuk nearly yelled once he saw the rather long and very extensive shopping list, the dark haired man glaring pointedly at Changmin, Minho, and Kyuhyun when the trio looked like they were about to add a few items to the list for their personal consumption. Money was then collected from each housemate for what was to be their grocery funds, the group eventually deciding that some of those who wouldn’t be part of the birthday dinner grocery run should begin stocking up the house with food essentials.

As such, once monetary contribution for the birthday dinner was collected from everyone, save for the celebrant himself, to finance the grocery run, Leeteuk, Tiffany, Heechul, Kyuhyun, Donghae, Jessica, Taemin, Amber, Yuri, and Naeun all piled out of the house, splitting up between the Grand Starex and Tucson, the latter being driven by Tiffany and leading the way off the property. It was only when the two cars were safely out of sight that Taeyeon, Sooyoung, Sulli, and Yoona informed the remaining occupants of the menu the girls had decided on for the birthday dinner, Jaejoong, Taecyeon, Minho, Changmin, Nichkhun, and Kai nearly blanching at the sheer number of dishes primarily because they had to cook them. Taking everyone’s appetites into consideration, however, proved that it was better safe than sorry and since it was Taemin’s birthday, they had a cause to celebrate anyway.

With that lovely bit of information squared away, those left in the beach house dispersed, Taeyeon, Sulli and Nichkhun heading back to their respective rooms to unpack while Taecyeon, Minho, and Yoona opted to catch up on their sleep. For their part, however, Jaejoong, Sooyoung, Changmin, and Kai opted to be the ones to make the second grocery run for kitchen staples and snacks. Once that was decided on, Jaejoong went to collect the keys for the Sportage and the Lexus as well as some of the house grocery fund while the three others informed their friends of where they’re heading, Changmin having the good sense to call Tiffany for directions to another nearby grocery before they departed.

Sooyoung stood before the aisle meant for fruit juices, dark eyes scanning various labels and kinds quickly. “Which of this do you think should we get?”

Kai made a face at the cartons of broccoli juice. “Orange juice, definitely. Mango… apple, too. Grapefruit and that mixed berries with grapes one.”

“Sounds reasonable, I think. We’re buying for twenty people after all…” His sister trailed off then. “How many of each should we buy?”

He pursed his lips in thought. “We’re going to be here for two weeks, right? I figure we could just get things that would last for a week and then another group could haul their asses back to the grocery the next week.”

“That works. If we buy too much, it might not fit in the cars. If we had the Starex with us, it wouldn’t be problem.” Sooyoung let out a sigh. “Two of each then?”

“Try three.” Kai snorted, reaching out to grab three cartons of orange juice to place in the empty grocery cart parked between himself and his sister.

“Do you think the fridges and the cupboards have enough space for all this?” Jaejoong entered the conversation, the man pushing another cart that now had boxes of tea of nearly every kind.

“You saw that kitchen, did you? I think we have more than enough space. Besides, if the refrigerators and the walk in pantry in the kitchen can’t keep everything, I think I saw a fridge or two in the TV room.” He peered into the older man’s cart. “Which kinds of tea did you get?”

“Apple and cinnamon, citrus roobois, English breakfast, earl grey, chamomile, lemon, strawberry, maple… I think there are lavender, peppermint, and barley in there too. Better to be safe than sorry.” Jaejoong offered by way of an explanation. “I sent Changmin to get coffee and the works.”

Sooyoung loaded the last three juice cartons in the cart. “So juice, tea, and coffee are done… what else do we need?”

“Bottled water.” Her brother replied simply, moving to head to where said beverage was just as Changmin reappeared, his arms heavily laden with coffee grounds of different kinds, coffee filters, and coffee creamers.

“Thanks.” Changmin grinned appreciatively when Jaejoong reached out to help him put everything in the cart before the latter moved to help Kai get the bottled water. “Anything else?”

“A lot more.” The lone female in the quartet replied solemnly. “But in terms of beverage, we already have water, juice, tea, and coffee.”

“We need soda, of course. And maybe hot chocolate.” He nodded once. “Then I guess that’s it for the drinks. We can get the alcohol when we need them someplace else…”

“That’s if Tiffany hadn’t already made sure that the beach house is well stocked.” Sooyoung smirked. “Why don’t you get the soda and I’ll get the hot chocolate?”

Changmin merely nodded again in reply, the two abandoning the carts for the meantime to get their assigned grocery items. It didn’t take long before Kai and Jaejoong returned with armfuls of bottled water, the younger of the two making a return trip to get more while Jaejoong opted to help Changmin with the soda, the two ended up getting various flavors of Snapple and Arizona iced tea along with the Coke, Sprite, and Dr. Pepper. Sooyoung returned just about the same time her brother did, the boys collecting the hot cocoa mixes and marshmallows from to place in the cart, Jaejoong then informing both her and Changmin that Taecyeon and Yoona were already on their way with the Infiniti and more money in tow before they moved to another part of the grocery, Sooyoung and Jaejoong going to where the ready to eat cereal, oatmeal and granola are while Changmin and Kai went to collect pancake mix and maple syrup.

Taecyeon let out a low whistle once he and Yoona caught sight of the two rather packed grocery carts. “That’s a lot of food.”

“There are a lot of us.” Ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter