❆ ❄ ❅ ➺ Of Sunflowers and Blood Red Poppies || ForeverRainbow

❆ ❄ ❅ Big Summer Blowout ❅ ❄ ❆ || Review Shop || Closed || Hiring

Title [7/10]
Of Sunflowers and Blood Red Poppies.
I honestly like your title. It's sweet, yet at the same time, rings the call of something tragic. Now, the reason why I deducted three points out of it is because to be frank, it's quite too long.

I'm not telling you that you should change it, because in all honesty it's a really well-thought title. It's just that, the basic ideal of a story title is three words maximum. Okay, don't get me wrong here, this is only an ideal. Not a requirement. The reason why the ideal is placed there is because three words are, obviously much easier to remember than six. When a person is trying to recommend a certain story, they should be able to remember the title with the click of a finger.

Your title makes an impact, and it's eye-catching, with also the correct spelling and grammar. It's neat and subtle and fabricates the story gently, giving you the feel of what is to come. It gives your readers a soft and gentle vibe. It relates very well to the story. Perfect. Good job :)

Foreword/Description [17/20]
Your description was, to say the least, absolutely captivating. I like how you constantly use high-level words-- it's basically what I like to see in any author, because it reflects how deep they are in writing. I also like the contrast that you pointed out between the two characters and the two highlighting words that just did it for me: 'cursed' and 'blessed'. Most people tend to forget that oxymoronic words can really make a story stand out. I saw no problems in your description. It was short, yet captivating and everything was correct. Good job.

Okay, now the foreword is actually kind of the reason why I deducted three points, yet again. This might not be anything major, but it is quite a pet peeve for me. Frankly, I don't exactly approve of having a chapter in the foreword. It would be nice to have a blurb, which is something taken from the story itself, but a chapter that explains the trail of events that follow, is not exactly doing it for me. Sure, the foreword is mindblowing, really. But we musn't forget, it's still in the foreword. For me, the foreword is a place where you can introduce the characters, not already watching them interact.

But putting that aside, and thinking of that as a chapter, it is absolutely beautiful. I also took note of how you used the name 'Amie'. It's not one that I've seen before and it looks more English. So presumably, the main character is probably a foreigner or a halfie, which is quite remarkable because for some, the idea of having a white chick with a Korean doesn't appeal. But haha you did an absolutely fine job. Your descriptiveness helps too-- it's not too much, nor is your story lacking of it. It's just right. I see most people out there trying to use the quality of descriptiveness, but most that I see use it too much-- so much so that my eyes just seem to glaze over the sentences, and I like how you used that medium to captivate.

And also, I absolutely love how you used those beautiful contrasts. You gave us a really bright setting-- with the vibrant trees, the grassy hilltop and even the butterflies-- it gave a really nice picture for your mind's eye to paint. Good job on that.

Appearance [5/5]

As I have mentioned before, I probably cannot see your background or full layout, so I'll just look at your poster. You poster is perfect. I love how it's sitting on a window, showing a seemingly perfect, bright background, then the main idea of your title, which shows the sunflowers and poppies, and lastly, the stark contrast of the bright background to the images of the two broken people. Well done on your choice and on the maker ^^
 

Spelling/Grammar [15/15]
I found no mistakes in your spelling or grammar-- WELL DONE. Rarely would anyone recieve this from me, believe it, because I'm pure grammar Nazi. It was quite flawless, and if I did have anything to touch on about, it would be about your short sentences. Sometimes, depending on your reader, short sentences won't make so much sense. They are a blessing and a curse. Although I am not asking of you to change any of that, I'm just letting you know that other readers may not be quite as bright compared to others. They might not be able to get the underlying meaning of a certain sentence, and therefore, they won't be able to get the gist of your story as a whole.

But no need to change anything, okay? I understand that your story is a drabble, and I think it was perfect. This advice would only apply if you're writing a chaptered story, and if you need to elaborate on the plot more. You did a mighty fine job on this, so props to you.

Plot [13/15]
Okay, to be straight, I deducted it by two points because, since this is a drabble, there isn't really much of a plot, although I do see what kind of cliche plot category it would fit into. And that's understandable. I also do notice that for people who want a more elaborate story plot on this, you have an ongoing story that they could pop into, which is very nice of you, I love authors who don't leave their readers behind to beg for a story.

To be honest, I don't really think I can criticize much on this because this was pretty much perfect. We shouldn't bother much on the fact that your story could be cliche, because let's face it, it's still just a drabble. Not a whole freakin story. I have seen stories/one-shots/drabbles written like yours, as in, I've seen the layout of your story done quite often, in fact, I may have done one myself. The progression of your story went like this: 1.) A sense of euphoria that most main characters feel at the beginning. 2.) Tragedy occurs. 3.) It was all just a dream.

Your story didn't go exactly like that, but it has that gist. If I may, I would just suggest that for your main story of this, if it isn't yet finished, I hope that you would include an incredible plot twist. That would be amazing.

But wait-- there's more. Lol. Alrighty miss, you touched upon yet another pet peeve of mine.

Putting up chapters that relates very little to the story.

Some might not have a problem with it, but I do. I find it inconvenient when other things such as author's notes and, like yours, reviews, are put into chapters of the story. People should get what chapters are for right? They are for stories, and for stories only. It's quite misleading when people, before reading your foreword, take a look at your chapter count and see 4 chapters, they'll think that it would be 4 chapters of an incredible, juicy story filled with donuts. Then think of the disappointment when they see that not only is that incredible story incredibly short, they'll see that three of the other chapters are occupied with (wait for it) reviews or author's notes. The shops tell you to credit them, not exactly put their whole review in your story. I also sure do hope that you have their permission to put their reviews up on your story. If I may suggest, just link the direct link of your review in your foreword or make a blog that gathers up all of the reviews that you requested from and then link that into your foreword, so that people can see, but not be entirely distracted by it. Just please remember to do with the shop's permission.

Besides from that one thing I pointed out, which, really, isn't a part of the plot, I reckon it's fine.

Characterization [17/20]

First off, I absolutely love your characters. I also find it nice that you only ever mentioned two people's names in your story, and that is of Niel and Amie. The reason why I took three points off was because, again, there wasn't enough 'time', so to speak, to get to know your characters better. I do like how Amie has this bittersweet essence to her, she's a lovely, happy girl with a twisted fate. You make it feel real-- real in the sense that, when one knows when they are about to expire, they cherish life and love more than we normally do. She knows that she doesn't have much to live in and live by, so she tries to live her last days in happiness, yet not allowing people around her to be close, because in turn, they might just lose happiness. I also love her untainted innocence and her eternal optimism, even though she knows things are downhill for her.

Now the other thing, I didn't really get to know Niel much here. But that's not major, since he really wasn't the main character. But to me, he seems like a protective, caring yet hard to penetrate kinda guy. I'm sure your story will be epic as it goes along. Great job on this one.

Flow [10/10]
For a drabble, your flow was pretty steady and nice. Knowing that you only have a limited number of words to write, you did a fine job. I see that you followed the usual flow pace, which I have already mentioned in the Plot section. But there is something impecable I just have to point out, because I absolutely loved it and the poetic meaning to it. One of your last sentences:

A breeze wafts through the open window and the scent of sunflowers and blood red poppies envelops him.

Absolutely beautiful. Your whole story was quite poetic, and it was quite hard to spot flaws or cleanups in any of the categories, really. I bid you a good job.

Overall Enjoyment/Reviewer's Note [5/5]
I enjoyed it a bunch. It was captivatingly poetic and it showed your deep writing style, which I admire. Whether or not you want to change anything is absolutely fine. As a reader, I know a good story when I see one, and I don't really care about the other things that go on around it, but I as a reviewer, I have my peeves and everything so I hope you don't mind. I'm sure readers won't take into account those other things that go on, but please still do take into consideration the suggestions I've given you.

P.S., Did Angel 1004 already come out when you wrote this? ;D

Grand Total [89/100]

 

 


Well, I hope you're not too offended. Remember, upvoting is not a must, but very much appreciated, so if you were satisfied with the feedback, please do so no pressure :D
And remember, these are suggestions for your improvement.
I hope you go far and wide with your writing my donut. Good luck :)