Fin.

Praelocutio

“Each meeting occurs at the precise moment for which it was meant. Usually, when it will have the greatest impact on our lives.” -- Nadia Scrieva

 

    Scratching at the small of your back, you shifted your legs awkwardly, only as much as the tight, short dress would allow. Snatching up a small glass of champagne from a passing waiter, you downed it as surreptitiously as you could. Setting it down on the table, you leaned your chin on your folded fingertips and let out a loud sigh.

 

    “Stop that.” A sharp smack to your side made you yelp quietly and sit up ramrod straight as you glared at your assailant.

 

    “Dahyun-ah, as much as I love you, there’s no need to be violent with me,” you uttered in your best sickly-sweet voice. She merely gave you a playful glare as she sat down across from you, laying her pink clutch on the table.

 

    “Don’t just sit here drinking and sighing. People are going to judge you,” she murmured, twirling the stem of a champagne glass between her fingertips. “I know you’re just here as my guest, but do try to behave, my dear.”

 

    You sighed again, laying your head down on the immaculate white tablecloth. A swift kick to your calf made you sit up again. “You know I don’t like these fancy-schmancy dinner parties. I don’t like classical music, I don’t know any of the people here, and I’m not even rich like you are.”

 

    Dahyun gave you a sympathetic look. “I know, darling. But you agreed to come here to keep me company, and I hate these things as much as you do.” She pulled a face, and you laughed. “I have such a nice and caring best friend!”

 

    “As long as you keep up your end of the deal, I won’t bail before you do.” You patted her wrist and snagged another glass of champagne. “You know how I feel about ice cream…”

 

    “I know, I know.”

 

    Laughing together, the two of you made small talk for a little while, Dahyun pointing out important CEOs and executives and you making snarky comments about them. Dahyun’s father was the owner of a massive corporation, and every year they had a get-together with a bunch of other important businesspeople. Without fail, Dahyun’s father dragged her out every year, and this time she really couldn’t stand being stuck in the stifling atmosphere by herself, and here you were. Truthfully, you would trade everything you had to get out of the place and away from all the stuck-up people here, but you’d stick it out. For Dahyun.

 

    “Really, though, how do you stand wearing these clothes? This dress must be at least two sizes too small for me, and these shoes are almost impossible to walk in,” you complained in a stage whisper.

 

    “But that dress makes your s look great!” Dahyun shot back. “Black is really slimming, too, you know.”

 

    “Yah, are you calling me fat?” you teased, almost tossing your napkin at her before remembering where you were. “I’d throw this at you if I could.”

 

    Dahyun rolled her eyes. “I know you would.”

 

    Suddenly, a deeper voice broke through your bickering. “I really hope I’m not interrupting anything, girls. I’d hate to intrude upon your conversation of sizes and body fat.”

 

    As you raised your head, you caught sight of what was without doubt the most attractive man at the whole party. His golden hair was perfectly styled, with sideswept bangs and darker highlights. He was wearing a snowy white suit with a grey inner vest and a grey satin bow tie, his eyes twinkling mischieviously as he met your gaze. A slight blush bloomed across your cheeks. Well, this was going to be awkward.

 

    “Hongki-oppa!” Dahyun squealed happily, standing and giving him a quick hug. “My dad never mentioned that you would be here!”

 

    The man (Hongki, apparently) laughed a bit and patted Dahyun’s head. “You know my dad wouldn’t let me miss it for the world,” he replied, perhaps a bit bitterly.

 

    “Oh! Let me introduce you to my best friend! Darling, this is Hongki. His dad is our company’s rival, but Hongki’s pretty cool. If there’s anyone who hates dinner parties more than me, it’s him,” Dahyun grinned.

 

    You rolled your eyes. “Did you forget about me? I’m not even really supposed to be here.”

 

    Dahyun pinched you lightly. “What have I said about rolling your eyes?” You grinned a bit sheepishly as her eyes widened. “Oh, damn. My dad’s making me come over to talk to some of his business friends. He just wants to show off his ‘pretty little angelic daughter’,” she said nasally. “Hongki, you sit here,” she commanded, pushing him down into her seat, “and keep my bestie company. Deal? Deal.”

 

    “Wait, what’s the deal? You didn’t even offer me anything in return!” Hongki called after her, ignoring the irritated stares that were shot his way. Shrugging, Hongki turned back to you, his frown turning up into a small grin. “Well, she ditched us anyways. Wanna do something fun?” he asked, tilting his head curiously.

 

    “Umm, like what? There’s not really much to do here…” you murmured, taking a sip of champagne. “No real alcohol, no real music, no real personality…”

 

    Hongki placed a hand over his heart, a kicked-puppy look in his eyes. “Are you saying I don’t have personality? And I thought we were just getting along here!”

 

    You blanched. Way to go, self. “Ahh, no. Not really you, just...all of these people together, I guess? This kind of society isn’t really something I understand, so…”

 

    “Haha, you don’t have to apologize. I know exactly what you mean.” Swirling his own glass of champagne, Hongki met your eyes. “It’s pretty dull. I wish I could run away sometimes, but I know my dad would find me before I could even get out of my front yard.” You giggled a bit at that, and a comfortable silence descended over the small table. After a bit of a lull, Hongki finally spoke again, his eyes sparkling mischieviously.

    

    “You wanna dance?”

 

    You started, looking at him and shaking your head violently. “I really can’t dance.”

 

    Hongki smirked. “Everyone knows how to dance. It just takes the right teacher to bring it out.”

 

    “Really, I seriously can’t. I can barely walk in these shoes; how am I supposed to do anything more difficult than that?” you objected, downing the rest of the glass of champagne. Hongki frowned slightly, standing abruptly.

 

    “Well, I still need someone to accompany me. I can’t dance alone, can I?” With that statement, he grasped your arm and lifted you from the chair, ignoring your faint protests. Once you two were in the middle of the floor, he finally let go of your arm. Scowling at him, you rubbed the sore appendage.

 

    “That was pretty rude, Hongki-ah. You won’t get many ladies that way,” you scoffed, turning your nose up.

 

    “As long as you don’t bolt, I think it’s alright.” Hongki grinned at you and held out his hand. “Shall we?”

 

    Grudgingly, you slid your hand into his, trying not to shy away as his arm wound around your waist. The tempo of the music was slow, and instead of really dancing, you found yourself pressed up close to him, swaying to the beat.

 

    “So while we’re here enjoying this dance, what should we talk about?” Hongki murmured quietly, his breath tickling your ear. You tried to ignore the way your heartbeat jumped at the action, and you cleared your throat a bit.

    

    “Umm...do you have a girlfriend?” The question slipped out from between your lips before you could stop yourself, and you could feel your face heating up. Mentally, you were already sinking into the ground, deep into a hole where no one could find you. Nice going, smart one. Way to scare off an attractive guy.

 

    Hongki chuckled, the vibrations rumbling through his chest. “Not really, but I do have this girl I’m interested in…”

 

    You managed to hold back your disappointed sigh. “O-oh? What’s she like? Is she pretty?”

 

    “Mm, she’s gorgeous. She has a really nice body. Personality-wise, let’s see...I don’t actually know her very well, but she seems fun and laid back. She likes to drink, and she prefers simplicity over luxury.” Hongki readjusted his grip on your hand as the two of you swayed more towards the middle of the dance floor.

 

    “Wow, she sounds like a nice catch. Why haven’t you asked her out yet? A girl like her won’t stay around forever, you know,” you mused. It must be nice to live a life like that, where you have everything. I can’t deny I’m a bit jealous.

 

    “I was thinking of asking her out tonight, actually.”

 

    You turned your eyes to his, and backed away a little bit when you realized how close your face was to his own. “What? That’s great! Why are you here, then? Shouldn’t you be finding your dream girl?” you asked, surprised.

 

    Hongki smiled a little sheepishly. “She’s at this party, that’s why.”

 

    You caught yourself nodding before the words truly registered. “Wait...she’s at this party?! Don’t tell me...is it Dahyun? I wouldn’t be surprised - she’s really amazing, isn’t she? You might have to fight her dad, though...I hope you’re up for that.” Ignoring the sinking feeling in your stomach, you babbled on, trying to talk yourself into believing that it was for the best. Your beautiful best friend and this beautiful stranger; what better match could be made?

 

    “No, it’s not Dahyun.” Hongki shook his head, leaning down and resting his head on your shoulder. “It’s someone else.”

 

    Flushing slightly from the proximity, you tried your best to look around the room as the two of you spun in slow circles. There were plenty of glamorous, rich women here...which one was she?

 

    “You’re really slow, aren’t you?” Hongki’s breath tickled your ear, and you frowned.

 

    “Hey, I am not! Take that back!”

 

    Hongki laughed, his lips lightly brushing your neck. “Yes, you are.” You were really beginning to feel a bit faint from the heat that kept rushing to your head.

 

    “I’m about done dancing...do you mind sitting down for a bit?” you asked Hongki quietly. He hummed in response, but didn’t loosen his grip or even move at all. As you opened your mouth to start whining, he moved quickly, his mouth suddenly covering yours. It was a quick, sweet kiss, but it felt like you had been struck by lightning. Reeling backwards, you stared at him in shock.

 

    “Silly girl, the one I’m interested in is you. Ahh, I can’t believe I had to spell it out for you. That’s so lame.” Hongki scratched the back of his head awkwardly, a blush on his pale features. “So what do you say we get out of here? I’ll treat you to some ice cream?”

 

    Even though it felt like you were fused to the floor, he intertwined his fingers with yours and tugged you towards the entrance, opening the door into the cool night. As you finally recovered and squeezed his hand lightly, he squeezed back and glanced back at you, giving you a shy laugh and pulling you forwards, into the darkness. What an introduction, indeed.