lips as red as

Fractured Fairytale

“What should I make for tea, Jungkook?” Seolhyun asked as she drummed her fingers against the tabletop. “I want to make something good for you all. You have been all so good to me; I don’t know how to repay you!”

Jungkook blushed, his pale face turning into a shade of ugly dark red. “It’s nothing, Seolhyun-ah,” he stammered, smiling at her nervously while twiddling his thumbs. “I have some apples. Would you like to make apple pie?”

“Oh, of course, Jungkook!” Seolhyun beamed at Jungkook, making him blush an even deeper red. “I would love to. Could you get those apples for me, please?”

“Y-yes,” Jungkook replied with a nod and scurried away gleefully.

Seolhyun smiled to herself. Everything was going perfectly. The hunter hadn’t come after her and the dwarves were being so nice. It was like a fairytale.

--

“Oh my, the pie smells delicious, doesn’t it?” Seolhyun remarked, smiling with satisfaction. “These apples really do the trick!”

“They do,” Jungkook agreed, nodding enthusiastically. “D-do you want one?”

“Oh, may I?” Seolhyun asked eagerly. “I would so love one.”

Jungkook nodded shyly.

Seolhyun reached for the shiniest apple on the top of the remaining pile in the basket. It was an unbelievably lovely, luscious red. She sniffed it, reveled in the sweet scent, and took a bite.

Jungkook smiled in delight and brought his hands together, like a little child.

“It tastes a little funny, don’t you think –”

Seolhyun collapsed onto the ground. There she lay limply, and Jungkook was quite sure she was dead.

Just then, the kitchen windows were swung open, revealing an old peddler wearing a long black cloak. “Hello, dear. Would you like some –”

Jungkook the basket of apples into her arms, gripping her tightly and covering , and yelled, “Brothers! Witch! Witch! Killed Seolhyun! Hurry! Hurry!”

The doors burst open.