Lonesome Sprint

Lonesome Sprint

[Aaron POV]

I wandereddown the lonely hallwayby myself when I bumped into someone.

                “Dui bu qi la” she apologised.

That voice…It can’t be her…I looked up only to be caught in those same pair of eyes – the pair that had always had me mesmerised…

~Flashback~

                “Aaron, I have something to give you!” she exclaimed, running towards me.

                “What is it now?” I asked, frustrated.

She had been around me very often lately. I was only playing around with her for the first 2 weeks.It was fun and all, but now she’s just too clingy! Calling me every day, it’s like she wants to check up on me or something. But for some unknown reason, I don’t want to tell her to go away…

                “I made you this frog out of plain paper! Do you like it?”

I looked at her as if she was an idiot. Suddenly, my phone rang. Picking up I heard a familiar voice.

                “Aaron sweetie, can you pick me up please? My friends and I were at a party and got a little drunk. Can we trouble you for a while?” Hebe asked.

I prefer the tipsy girls over the sober ones. Of course, I said yes.I shut my phone and turned around, looking into her eyes. My heart felt like it skipped a beat. Not again, what is this feeling? I could tell she was on the verge of tears as her eyes reddened.

                “I…I…” I stuttered, not knowing how to start a conversation with her.

                “Aaron, you do know that all you have to do is just say a word and I will leave right away and not trouble you anymore right? I understand you don’t feel the same way I feel for you, but can you please stop hurting me?! Sometimes you just call me and act as if you’re my boyfriend, and sometimes you act as if you don’t even know me! Am I just but another toy for you to play with and throw away once you’ve had your fun?! I’m sick and tired of this Aaron! I…I…I guess we’re over now, but I can’t even say that because we were never together to start with. I think it would be better if we just remained as friends. This should be a goodbye then…”

I panicked as I saw her leave. I don’t know why, but there was a part of me that beckoned her to stay back. I reached out for her arm, but she didn’t even turn around, she just brushed my arm off, letting my arm fall helplessly back to my side.  I wanted to pull her into my embrace, but was too afraid of rejection. If only I was stronger, I would have held her in my arms, not letting her go, protecting her from everything that would cause her harm. But I knew that the only thing in this world that could cause her such pain was me.

I watched her retreating back. My heart felt like it had shattered into a million pieces. It was then did I realise something I should’ve known earlier – something that I would forever regret…

~End of Flashback~

                “Guigui…” I whispered her name.

                “Can you please move? You’re blocking the path.” She stated coldly.

I was surprised by the tone she was using. It was so cold. She brushed past me, walking at a faster pace. I quickly grabbed her arm, spinning her around to face me. The expression on her face was somewhatsimilar to that of being tortured. I could read her like an open book. Pain and anguish were evident in her eyes as she looked right back at me.

                “Guigui, I…I”

                “If you have nothing to say to me, then can you please let me go? I have other things to attend to and all you are doing is wasting my time. Or do you want to hurt me even deeper. Why can’t you just let me be?” She shot back at me.

I froze, afraid that the past would once again replay. With each word that she said, my heart felt like it was being attacked by millions of daggers, opening the old wound and cutting it deeper than before. I didn’t know what to say. I just stood there, staring into her eyes that were now filled with tears. I hated myself for causing her so much pain.

My arm slowly slid off hers, letting her go. She turned her back on me and left. I just stood there as my tears fell helplessly down my face. It was obvious now that I had lost her forever.

--------------

The scenery here is called "once loved", once existed your caress and gentleness

Tearing the ticket stub, wandering alone. The price is the anguish of missing you, you said be friends but we are not friends

We are more unfamiliar with each other than strangers

After rebuilding the ruins of my emotions,

who will come visit occasionally?

--------------

I walked towards the park that Guigui and I used to hang around. I smiled bitterly, remembering the times we had together. Unconsciously I sat on the swings, humming the same song that Guigui used to sing whenever we came here. Unbeknownst to me, my tears had already started falling. I couldn’t hide my pain anymore. Everything that I had kept within me was now let out. I shouted aloud, trying to drain all of the memories out. Why was she always in every thought that ran through my mind? Whenever I see something, it will always remind me of her.

I traced my hand over the chain that held the swing together, closing my eyes. I always thought Guigui was weird when she did this. I would ask her and she’d always tell me that it had a calming sensation, telling me to try it. Of course, I refused. But she was right,it does give off a calm feeling. But I guess it was a habit of mine, realising things one-step too late.I still hadn’t had the chance to understand the true meaning to love, since she had already left me.

----------------

I stand at the road of memories, walking into the loneliness of my left chest

/conspicuous disappointment, transparent pain, I can't say I am tired is because I am too fragile

I follow fate's arrow/direction, helplessly, inexorably moving on to the next person's warmth

I haven't loved you enough, yet you want me to let go, in TIME's secret garden, you never left.

----------------

I used to think that ‘love’ was just a four-lettered word, without any meaning, that girls took seriously. I thought it was just something that was said to cheer a girl up. I never knew that it had a special meaning to it. I never knew it could mean so much…

~Flashback~

I was walking to school with Rainie, another girl I had just met on the weekend. She was just like any other, attracted to my good looks.

                “Aaron!” I heard a voice shout from behind me.

Oh great! Her again! I turned around and saw Guigui running towards me. As she came closer, she saw my hands intertwined with Rainie’s. She was looking at Rainie then to our hands, then to me. I immediately let go of her hand, running over to Guigui. Guigui started to back away from me.I could see hurt and pain evident in her eyes. I quickly ran towards her, pulling her into my embrace. I never understood my actions when I was around her. It seemed that I could never control myself.

                “Guigui, it’s not what you think!” I lied.

                “Then what is it?” she questioned me.

                “We’re just friends! She just broke up with her boyfriend, so I’m trying to cheer her up!” I tried to explain.

                “Is that true?” she asked me, eyeing me suspiciously.

                “It’s true. I only love you.” I simply answered.

                “This is always your answer whenever we argue.” She pouted.

                “Aiyo, don’t be like that. It’s my only answer because it’s always running through my mind how much I love you.”

She smiled at me, and I knew the fight was over.

~End of Flashback~

I wish I had a time machine, so that I could travel back to when Guigui and I were together. If I had a chance to do so, then I would tell her truthfully of the feelings I had for her. ButI guess that experience had left a wound in my heart. From that day on, I was afraid of the future – afraid of what it held. If only I had understood earlier of her importance in my life, then I would have known to cherish her. All I can do now is think about all the times we had together. 

----------------

I say I love you too freely

So freely, it's like I am just saying it (without meaning it)

I never loved the future scenery

I only miss youreverything.

----------------

                “Hey Aaron!” Jiro shouted, running towards me. “Why are you sitting here? The girls are having cheerleading practice, want to come?”

I could only smile at him, nodding slightly. He pulled me along, telling me stories of his new ‘toy’ and how different she was from the others.

                “If you think she’s different, hold onto her and never let go. Don’t regret anything.” Imerely stated, walking into the hall towards the cheerleaders.

Talking to Jiro, just reminded me of my own life. If only there was someone who had given me those words of advice when I was with Guigui. I just hope that Jiro doesn’t follow in my footsteps and regret not confessing to her. But it doesn’t matterif I finally understand how much I love her, it’s already too late. Everything has become the past. I know I should move onto the present, but I can’t! My past still lingers with me, haunting me, not wanting to let go. The memories that we shared were unforgettable – her voice, every touch that we shared, I still remember everything.

                “Aaron! a new girl just joined. You haven’t had a toy in along time. You can have her.” said Jiro, winking at me.

I laughed, but it didn’t come out right. It sounded so fake. Like I didn’t even care about it.

                “Are you alright? You don’t look so great…still remember Guigui huh?” he suddenly asked.

My felt a pang of pain in my heart, hearing her name. I smiled, putting on a charade. I smirked and got up from my seat, walking over to the new girl.

                “I heard you were new. I’m Aaron by the way. Nice to meet you.” I said seductively. “I think you’re very cute.” I whispered in her ear before winking at her.

I heard her giggle as I walked off.

                “She’s totally into you.” Stated Jiro, shaking his head.

As soon as I left the room, I dropped my charade. I felt guilty for flirting with another girl. If Guigui were here, she’d be jealous. She’d probably be throwing one of her tantrums. I chuckled thinking of what her reaction would be. What could be her reaction, I should say. After all, she didn’t belong to me anymore.

---------------

No matter how I love and miss you, it's all become only memories; all they can see is a fake calm

--------------

I laiddown on my bed, sighing heavily, thinking of the long day I had. I took out my laptop and went on Facebook, something I seldom did. It was then did a message popp up, congratulating my one year anniversary with Guigui. My hand dropped from the keyboard as I stared blankly at the screen.Why does everything in my life revolve around her?!I quickly went through my albums, surprise evident on my face. I still had pictures of Guigui and I when we were still dating on here. It had been a long time since I went on.

I went through the photos, a new wound in my heart opening with each picture I saw. I held onto the side of the laptop, trying to force back the tears that were threatening to fall. Why couldn’t I see this earlier? In very photo, my eyes never left her. Even in a photo that someone else took when she was going somewhere, my eyes only had her. My face twisted in agony as I reminiscedthe past I had with her. It was then did I realise that I had already started crying. Why was I so weak?! Why was it that whenever it involved Guigui, I couldn’t control my own emotions?!

I fell on my knees as I looked up.

                ‘Why must fate play tricks on me?!Why does it always have to point to a different path? Why can’t I be with Guigui?! Why did she leave me? Why must I move on?! I can’t forget her! Why can’t I just be with her?! Why?!’ I thought. ‘Why does life have to be so cruel? I never had the chance to love her with all my heart, and yet fate decided that the time I had spent with her was enough?!’

I took out a small tin box from underneath my bed. Forcing a smile as I saw the words written on it – ‘Aaron’s little ghost’. I opened it, revealing photos and little sheets of origami. She loved to do origami, always encouraging me to do it with her. I took a sheet of origami paper out, attempting to fold it. I sat there trying to figure out where to fold it in the right spots. I had saw her folding this all of the time. However the more I folded it the more creases it had. Soon, the paper had started to rip, but that didn’t stop me. I wasn’t going to give up mid-way anymore. I knew better than that. I sat there for a long time, before I let out a sigh of relief. I looked at my creation and smiled, slowly placing it in the box.

                ‘This is the first thing i had ever made from just plain paper.’ I looked at my creation. ‘This is an exact replica of my heart – torn and used. I will now give it to you, sealing it in this box containing all of our happy memories. It will be like you never left me. Whenever I feel down, I will take this box out and confide in you.This will forever be in my memories. I will never forget you.’

---------------

I stand at the road of memories, walking into the loneliness of my left chest

/conspicuous disappointment, transparent pain, I can't say I am tired is because I am too fragile

I follow fate's arrow/direction, helplessly, inexorably moving on to the next person's warmth

I haven't loved you enough, yet you want me to let go, in TIME's secret garden, you never left.

------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

So how was it? I know you’re probably like “Xiao_mei_mei, this is your third one-shot that Guilun don’t end up with each other in!” but I can’t help it! It’s easier to write endings like this! Anyways hope you guys like it! And remember to leave a comment, even silent readers!!!

                Signing off,

                                Xiao_mei_mei