Goodbye Summer

Goodbye Summer

[Summer 2014]

 

Sitting on the high stool in the cafe opposite the park and looking out the window, Hyeshin sipped her iced blended milk green tea, enjoying the view. It was summer. It was that time of the year where everybody is dying in the heat but it's the season where she loves and hates the most. 

 

--------------------------------------

[Spring 2008]

The time moved as the clock keeps ticking. They were only left with half an hour before the test ends. Minhyuk was scratching the top of his head, unable to answer the test questions. He looked around and saw her focused in writing her answers down on the paper. He thought of ways to call out to her. He needed answers. He has not answered even one of the questions yet. 

 

He saw one of his pen at the edge at the table and flicked it, dropping it onto the floor. She didn't budge and kept writing. He slowly bent down and reached for the pen. Still bending,making sure the teacher hadn't caught him, he whispered, "Hyeshin."

 

She looked to the side from the corner of her eyes, eyebrows scrunching together. "What?" she replied hushly. "I need answers," he said. She rolled her eyes and chided but she took an empty paper, and wrote down the answers on it. Folding it quietly, she passed the paper slowly to him. 

 

Upon reaching into his hands, "Ahn Hyeshin! Lee Minhyuk!". Their actions stopped halfway and turned behind to look at their homeroom teacher. Mr. Park wasn't a lenient teacher and he definitely doesn't tolerate any cheating in tests or exams. 

 

',' both of them thought.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been 2 hours since they were caught on their act. They were still kneeling down with hands up in the air. Hyeshin's arms started to grow tired but she tries hard to keep the stance. Minhyuk, however, was taking it easily. He was used to the punishments that was given to him. He wasn't exactly a good role model of a student.

 

Another hour passed and Hyeshin's arms was going down lower and lower. She couldn't hold it anymore. Her knees and arms hurt. 'This is worse than physical ed,' she thought. Suddenly, she felt someone touching encircle their hands around her wrist, supporting it up. She looked at her wrist and trailed the image of the hand on it down to find it's owner to be none other than Minhyuk. 

 

He looked at her and smiled. "Thanks," she said. Minhyuk chuckled,"No problem. You've went through the trouble of getting caught with me, it's the least I could do." 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

[Spring-Summer 2008] 

 

 As the season's changing, the weather was getting warmer and it was getting more unbearable. Droplets of perspiration dripped at the sides of her cheeks. Hyeshin continued to sweep the leaves on the front lawn of her house. Satisfied with her work, she switched on the hose and started to water the plants. 

 

 "Wow, our Hyeshin is so hardworking!", the voice teased. 

 

With a sudden reflex, Hyeshin turned towards the sound of the voice, hands still on the hose. 

 

"Ah!", the person screamed. Hyeshin's eyes widened and she quickly switched off the hose. "I am so sorry!", she apologised. Minhyuk was drenched, mostly on the top half. Water droplets fell from his chin. He sighed heavily. Wiping the water off of his face, "Thanks for the welcoming party."

 

Minhyuk blew air into his cheeks and Hyeshin giggled. He looked at her funnily, like she had gone out of it. "What's so funny?" he questioned. "You look like a squirrel!" she tried to hold in her laughter but in the end burst out loud. He grabbed the hose and sprayed water all over her. "Yah!" she shrieked. Drenched from head to toe, Hyeshin chased Minhyuk all over the lawn. Minhyuk threw the hose away and kept running away from her.

 

"Lee Minhyuk, stop it!" she panted, running low on stamina and out of breath. Damn, she really need to work out more. Minhyuk bent down, hands on his knees, supporting his weight on it. "Woman, you need to slow down on that temper," he said. She rolled her eyes, "And you, need to stop acting so chilidishly!". She crossed her arms across her chest. Minhyuk stared at her and his lips. She noticed a change in his eyes, "Yah, Lee Minhyuk, why are you looking at me like that?". He smirked, "Maybe if you weren't so feisty, I would date you but, you're not my type."

 

Ouch. That hurts. Those words hurt her a lot. She pushed the thoughts away and shoved him by the shoulder, "Like as if I would want to date you.". She walked past him towards the entrance of her house when he pretended to act out as if he was hurt by her words. She ignored him and went in to change.

 

'That does hurt,' his mind ran.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Summer 2008]

 

The heat was crucial. Everyone thought that day would actually faint from heat . It was the last day of summer but the heat was excruciating. Hyeshin and Minhyuk were in a cafe, sitting opposite of each other. The cafe was new to her so he had chose a drink for her.

 

"Is it nice?" she asked. He nodded, "Yeah, it is. I think it's the most nicest drink they have in here.". And then, the atmosphere went a little too quiet, more like awkward.

 

They have had been asked questions about their relationship by their close friends, whether it was just normal friendship or was it something more? They couldn't answer. All they could reply was it is special but that was just it. They didn't manage to explore more of it, even if they wanted to. Why? Because neither of them were brave enough to confess.

 

Both were scared; scared of rejection. Afraid that the other won't see them as how they wanted them too. Unrequited love. That was it.

 

The waitress came with their drinks on hand and places them on the table. After the waitress left, Minhyuk cleared his throat. "Drink up, you'll need it," he said. Without thinking about anything else, Hyeshin drank the iced blended milk green tea that he had ordered for her and my oh my, she should have trusted his words earlier. It was superb. The unique taste explored in and she drank a bit more.

 

Minhyuk watched her in amazement. How can someone so fiesty and is always in a temperamental mood be so adorable when she's having something new? Minhyuk shook his head. Hyeshin looked at him, confused.

 

"Why are you shaking your head?" she asked. "Nothing, got a little brain freeze," he replied, "and how was the drink?". She grinned, " It's so delicious! I'm going to trust your words when it comes to drinks around here."

 

Minhyuk smiled but it somehow didn't reach his ears and Hyeshin noticed. "Is anything wrong?" she questioned. He sighed heavily. He didn't have the heart to tell her but he had to. She can't just find him missing one day without a trace. What kind of friend would he be then?

 

"Well, I..I have something to tell," he said. She nodded, "Go on, I'm listening." He his lips, a habit he had since young, "I'm going off to Canada."

 

Those words rang in her mind, making it hurt. However, she put on a bright smile, "Really? When?". "Next Sunday," he mumbled. "I'm sorry? What?" she asked, again. "Next Sunday," he repeated. She scoffed, "You're kidding, right?". Deep down, she's scared of him leaving her; she didn't want to be alone again. 

 

"My dad had already confirmed a place for me in one of the University in Canada. You know how he is, I can't do about anything," he reasoned. "But, why so soon?! You should've told me earlier!" she panicked. "Look, it's already hard enough for me so don't make it worse," he said sternly. "What? How am I making it worse?". Minhyuk shook his head and sighed for the umpteenth time, "Forget what I said, alright? I just got to know it from him this morning." 

 

'Lies, you ing liar. You're a bloody coward,' his thoughts consumed his mind.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

[Autumn 2008]

 

Hyeshin sat down at the airport. He had already flew off. He was gone and not coming back but that wasn't the part that she regretted about. It's about the fact that she couldn't accept him going off, leaving her again, practically feeling like she's been thrown back to the world of darkness. His presence had lightened up her world even if it's temporary but that feeling, that light is difficult to shut off. He is permanent; carved inside her heart.

 

She had actually missed his flight that morning. She was already feeling terrible but missing it make her feel much much useless, even as a friend. What more as someone that meant something more? Tears fell onto her pale cheeks, she lost someone so dear. She lost her first love.

 

---------------------

 

He waited, and waited. The last call for his flight was being announced. He can't wait no longer, he had to go. For the sake of other's happiness, he sacrificed his. Where was she? Did she even remember about today? Is he even important to her? He wanted to confess, right there, right now but she's not here. His father tugged him by the arm and pulled him in, "She's not coming. Isn't it obvious? Now, let's go!". His head hunged low.

 

Disappointed? Yes. Sad? Yes. Regret? Most definitely. 

 

He should've took that chance. If he had took the first step, if only.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

[Summer 2014]

 

She felt someone's soft lips pecking her on the forehead. She looked up and smiled. "Hyuk," she said his name softly. "Sorry, have you've been waiting long?" he apologised. "It's okay, I managed," she beamed. She pushed him the drink she had ordered for him earlier, slightly diluted after the wait but still edible. "Yes! Iced blended milk green tea, my favourite!" he cheered. "You're such a kid," she smiled and laughed.

 

He had always made her laugh and smile, and has never failed to bring her mood up. He became her light, he shined her world, her path. He became her purpose.

 

Han Sanghyuk.

 

He is her summer. Her love.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Walking out of the cafe with their drinks in one hand while the other intertwined with each other's, they turned to the right and started walking down towards the park, wanting to enjoy the summer weather.

 

Immersed in their conversation, they didn't realize a person was walking towards the direction they had walked earlier on and accidentally knocked onto Hyeshin. Her drink fell and both of Sanghyuk and Hyeshin looked at the person at fault; squatting down, picking up the fallen drink.

 

"I'm sorry, I was in a hurry and I didn't see you guys. I'll buy you guys another drink," he wasn't able to finish his words when Hyeshin interrupted, "Minhyuk?". He looked up and stood up as quickly as possible. "Hyeshin," her name escaped from his lips. "How have you been?" she asked. "Good," he replied curtly. Trying his best not to let his emotions run wild, "how about you?". She smiled, "I'm good, too."

 

She continued, "Oh! This is Han Sanghyuk," she turned to Hyuk and continued, "and he's my fiancee.". Minhyuk's mouth formed the letter 'O'. Shocked, surprised all at once but he could do nothing. Nothing at all except for, "Congratulations," he said. Hyuk and Hyeshin nodded and smiled. Hyeshin cleared , "Well, nice seeing you. We should meet up some time.". Minhyuk could only nod and smile.

 

It hurt her. It did. Seeing him after 6 long years but she is happy and satisfied with Sanghyuk and she's not going to change anything.

 

It was his loss, not hers.

 

It was his summer, it was his unrequited love.

 

She had already bid goodbye to the old summer and embraced the only one she needs.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

THE END.

 

IT'S Y DWEJI. MIANHAE. YOU SHOULD KNOW, WARNED YOU EARLIER.