April's Song - Stand By

April's Songs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stand by - Boa Kwon

There are pretty moments that come after hardship yet can't stay as long as we ever wish they to. Jongin knows it very well which makes him like the air of spring a lot more. Because it costs a longer winter that year than usual for this year's spring to come, doesn't mean he expects less from it. Jongin felt like racing with time to get enough of spring before summer took it away with all that humidity and heavy rains.

 

It was almost the end of April when people changed to thin, colorful sweaters and cardigans instead of long, dark winter coats. The world looked much younger, brighter than it was just a week ago when snow was starting to melt. 

 

In front of Yu's Coffee house there was a cherry blossom tree had woken up; on which countless of small buds promised for their most glorious days of the year. Jongin took a glance at it every time he walked by on his way going to work. The pink flowers would light up the corner once they are in full bloom.

 

Like any other days, he walks into Yu's and joins the queue of four or three persons in front of the counter for an Americano, taking in a lung full of coffee scent. The warm and fuzzy coffee shop is the most well - known one among those in this busy streets, run by a young owner named Minseok. Except for some basic and signature drinks, the menu varied by seasons for which it drew customers in. Either delicate beverages or the doe eyed waiter Luhan sells. Minseok clearly is gifted, both as a barista and a business man.

 

The line was shortened by a person and everyone stepped forward. Someone must have taken their drink and about to leave. She told the baristas something that made both Minseok and Luhan smiled so brightly. And when she headed out of the store with long steps, a cup of coffee in her hand and a smile that had yet to extinguished upon her lips, Jongin couldn't help but look along.

 

Somewhat between a touch of cherry blossom and green tea brushed his sense as she went by. April, green scarf and pixie hair, must probably have passed her last interview for Hwadam Architecture.

 

Her gaze shifted on him for a quarter of second while she walked pass the line. Just right when Jongin began to shake his head with the thought that there was no way she remembered him, April strolled back in front of him.  A grin plastered on her face, sincerely. Again, he thought of how he was impressed to see the corner of her lips and her eyes curved up exactly at the same time. The way she smiles has something. That something only happens once one smiles with all her heart; that something can not be faked.

 

"Good morning!" She waved her hand slightly. Her voice is warm and soft. It makes him feel like falling on a warm and soft velvet cushion. "You may not remember but we met on my way interviewing for my first job. And because I am accepted... hum... I don't even know what I am doing... You may think I'm weird. But because I'm accepted and this is my first day at work, it's so happy that I want to say hi and wish you a nice day."

 

She spoke the last part very fast with her eyes wide opening, trying not to bite her tongue. Then she bowed and left without Jongin knowing what was happening. She must have said the similar thing to Minseok and Luhan because Jongin knew he mimiced the same kind of smile that they gave earlier for April.

 

Soojung, now I know why April leaves such strong a impression on me. We don't have a chance to meet someone like her every day, who is so generous shares her happiness to the world. That way, she makes my day much more special. I should have talked to her that I wished April a nice day too.

 

Their schedule seem to be alike. Jongi sees her occasionally, arriving at the bus stop, lining up at Yu's for a coffee, catching pink petals under the cherry blossom tree or in front of Hwadam's office some evenings, waiting for someone to come fetch her after a late working day. They smiled or nod at each other. In some particularly beautiful day, they even sat down at Yuu's to talk a little, one would ask how  the latter's had been doing.

 

April is an architect. She smiled a lot when she talks about the amusement park that her team wasworking on, and talked about it like it were her child, like it had a soul on its own. Her eyes sparked genuine curiosity for Jongin's story about his game's character. She seems to never be in bad mood and unknowingly, she brightens him up. Jongin deemed it for spring that he laughed more than usual around the time he got to know April. They developed interactions without even care to know each other's name. Though, Jongin didn't care much about that. He would rather adressing her April, he likes it better.

 

Soon, rain came unannounced and Jongin knew summer came very near. One Friday night, he departed late from the office and went straightly to a pub near his work place. Sehun and Taemin had arrived earlier for their TGIF night.

 

It heavily rained. He drove his car past Hwadam office as he took a glance at it. It had already been a habit, to search for a certain girl at time. 

 

April was standing on the pavement, desperately waving for a cab. Under the thick blanket of the rain she was wet head over heel. Jongin stopped his car where she was standing and scrolled down the passenger window.

 

"Hey! Don't you have an umbrella?"

 

"I forgot it inside my office but my friend is leaving. I need to go to the airport. I'm late. The meeting with client takes longer than expected. "


She almost shouted over the loudness of the rain for Jongin to hear. Her words were messy and shaking. She couldn't stand still. Her eyelids bat constantly as she looked back and forth, making sure she wouldn't miss an available taxi for talking with him. He handed her his umbrella. She wouldn't take a cab soon under this whether. 

 

Jongin drove away with something itching inside his stomach. He isn't the kind of person that felt right to interfere in other's issue. And obvious enough, for how long April would be standing in the rain is non of his business. But the night was late and rain poured so heavily; but April needed help and the friend she running to was not just another friend. If he didn't turn the car back, he wouldn't feel alright. And for all his life, the greatest lesson he had ever learnt was being regretful for doing something was way better than for doing nothing.

 

Signing in defeat he made a phone call to Sehun before driving back to Hwadam, just to find April at the same spot. Her red rimmed eyes made him unable to differ whether her face was damp with rain or her tears.

 

"Thank you... thank you so so much. I don't know what to do if you didn't come back."

 

She said as Jongin stared at her very quickly before driving away to Incheon. He was in sort of embarrassment to see how she looked at him with the gratitude that he is not used to receive.

 

"It's alright. I'm not busy anyway." Giving her the tissue pack, he lied . This time he was quite okay with it. This was a white lie, anyways. "Where is your friend leaving for? Do we have much time left?"

 

"London. He'll take off by twelve. It's nine o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter