Sunsets and Silhouette Dreams

Dusklight

Note: This is Yongguk's P.O.V. Enjoy.


You sat there next to me with glowing eyes, troubled thoughts and messy hair. It took me a lot of self-control not to touch your face. Your skin looked orange, from the reflection of the sky and the scenery in front of us.

 

“Yongguk, do you think the sun gets tired?” You asked.

“What do you mean?” I look at you and I chuckle.

 

“Do you think the sun gets tired for doing the same thing every day? It just appears and then disappears and then appear again the next day.” You don’t look at me.

“But the sun never really disappears. Technically, it doesn’t even move. It’s our planet that does. So basically, it’s the earth that should be tired from rotating.” I said.

You play with the sand on our foot and threw some on my sneakers. “Shut up with your science-y stuff, okay. I’m trying to be poetic here.”

I laugh at you and you laugh back.

We stay silent for a while.

 

 

We’re seventeen, messed up teens counting years before we’re free; freedom that only existed in our minds.

 

 

“I want to leave this place. As soon as I can.” You had a heated expression on your face. “I just really want to go somewhere far.”

I don’t know what to say. I have always been aware of all the things you wanted to do, this escape-from-everything fantasy you say every time you get tired of things.

You mention them all the time, but I still don’t know what to say. Maybe I do, but none of them are going to slip out of my mouth.

“You’ll be okay, Himchan. Don’t worry.” That’s all I managed to say.

 

 

We’re twenty, far away from the place where we used to live ever since we were kids until we were reckless teenagers.

 

 

We’re studying at the same university, in the same building, and the same old you and me. You finally got what you wanted, an escape route to solitude and independence.

You live on your own in a small apartment you managed to find, only a few minutes near mine. We stayed friends. We aged three years, still ate the same things we liked, still missed the same thing we missed and still look at the same sun that set.

But now it was different, instead of the scenery of the ocean swallowing the yellow orb, the city buildings shadow the sun and the air doesn’t feel like hands caressing your cheeks.

We always looked at the unusual sunset in the unusual spot at the rooftop of the library building. You still had glowing eyes, troubled thoughts and messy hair.

At this moment, I thought that you were the sun. You looked so bright, the biggest star in my universe. You shine over my confused head and make things clear.

You’re my sun.

But as I get closer to you, it hurts. It burns my chest and there’s a lump on my throat.

 

 

We’re twenty one and you fell in love with a girl.

 

 

“She’s great, I swear.” You sat on my couch with your shoes on my coffee table.

“Shoo with your foot.” I slap your legs away and type away on my laptop. “I don’t have interests over your girlfriend.”

“You have to meet her. She’s cool and —“

“Fine. I’ll go. You can’t shut up about her. Sheez.” I cut you off but you’re still smiling.

“You promise?” You hold out your pinkie and I intertwine it with mine.

“I promise.”

 

It’s Monday, the day I agreed that we’d meet her. We come across near your lockers, and she comes close to us. She’s wearing a top so tight I wonder if she could breathe. She had shorts too short anything is barely covered.

She had a pretty face and smelled like trouble and strawberry lipgloss.

You introduced us to each other. I shake her hand and she puts his arms around you. She smirks and winked at me. I felt a twinge of anger on the pit of my stomach.

“I’ll catch you guys later.” I waved and turned around, walked away with a mental note that I’m never dealing with her again.

 

 

Months had passed. My phone is ringing at 3 am and your name is bright on the caller ID.

“Hello?” I managed to say with a sleep-washed voice.

 

You were crying, unable to continue the short phrases you were able to mutter. I hang up and left the house. When I got there, you were still sobbing, drunk and a complete mess.

 

You tell me the about your fight and I just nod at everything you say. This isn’t the first time this happened and it’s neither the second.

“I just don’t understand.” You’re done crying and you staring at nothing.

“Himchan, she doesn’t love you.” I spurt out accidentally because of anger.

“You don’t know anything.” You scowled.

“You’re the one who doesn’t know anything.” I said in a loud voice and stormed out of your apartment. There’s adrenaline and anger on the core of my chest. It’s cold outside but I managed to get home without freezing to death.

 

I’m okay.

 

I hated her. She never got you truly. She pretended that she wanted you, but would only leave when it’s no more fun. You would fight a lot, but would also make up in a few days. You liked her so much and spent much time together.

 

It’s going to be okay.

 

You hanging out with her ate our time together. It’s like you almost forgot about me.

The first time you didn’t appear at the rooftop to watch the sunset like we usually do, I waited patiently and didn’t leave even after the sun sank down to nothingness.

I waited, hoping that you’ll just be late and arrive soon so I waited. I waited. When I was sure you weren’t coming, I left.

You didn’t call the next day, and even the day after that. I see you at school with her, laughing and having fun.

 

I’m trying to be okay.

 

 

We’re twenty two, bitter tears and broken hearts.

 

 

You broke up with her and you it didn’t feel like you anymore after that. We sat on a different place to see the sun off. You had droopy eyes and your hair is bleached blonde. About your thoughts, I do not know. You looked tired and vulnerable. Like in any second, you would break and fall apart.

I wanted to make you feel okay,  I wanted to see you smile. I wanted you to be bright and be my sun again.

 

There’s a storm in my lungs, forming a hurricane in my tongue.

“I love you.”

You stared at me with those gloomy eyes and smiled a little. I could feel my heartbeat on my throat.

“I can’t lose you.” You replied. I didn’t know what you meant exactly.

 

 

 

We’re still twenty two, but you’re gone.

 

 

 

You left after a few days we last met. There’s a note on my desk in your handwriting, with thanks and apologies. You said you felt unhappy and you wanted to truly find yourself.

 It won’t sink in.

You’re gone and I’m not going to be anywhere you will go.

 I can’t see you anymore.

But I will still look into the sunset, alone, and hope that somewhere, someone is looking at the same great sun I love.


This fic was actually for my Arts teacher since he wanted us to make a story for a project (i had banghim in mind lol)

I hope this isn't much of a disappointment (like me lmao) subscribe~~ 

With what happened to our fandom in 2014, I'm thankful to the BABYs who stayed until the end~

Let's wait a little more and hopefully we'll get to see them this year!

          -cheejuburger