Playing Hooky

Mission for Revenge

Kai

So she’s just sick I thought as I headed home. She had me worried. The whole day, the only thing I could think about was Ae Sook. Maybe I should go check on her I thought and headed for her house. Or maybe I’ll just bother. I began to turn around. But it would be nice for her to have company. I turned again. Ugh, what’s wrong with me?! I continued to argue between myself about whether or not I should visit her. Before I knew it, I was at her door steps. Shocked by my actions, I gave out a sigh. I’m here, so I should at least say ‘hi’. I timidly pushed my finger onto the doorbell and then anxiety washed over my whole body. What have I done?!

Myung Ki

I finally recovered from the shock that paralyzed me for five minutes. I was about to enter my father’s office until Ae Sook ran past me, making me fall back to the ground. “Yah, Ae Sook, are you trying to kill me,” I shout as she her image began to fades into the shadows. “Well, if it isn’t Myung Ki,” a familiar voice called. I turn to see a smiling man known as my father. “Father, how have you been?” I asked, “I haven’t seen you ever since you left for your important business trip.” “I’ve been doing fine; anyway back to our discussion, so I think tha-” “Appa, why did Ae Sook run off?” I asked. My father looks down at a button and presses it. The monitor began to light up displaying Ae Sook’s house. I froze at the sight of Jong In at the front steps. “Father?! Why is that jerk at her front door,” I shout while pointing at the screen. “Oh, he just wanted to visit,” my father exclaimed. “I’m leaving.” “Wait, I haven’t given you the information; I have exciting news for the both of you,” he called before I exited the door. “What is it,” I questioned. He came up to me and whispered in my ear. My face turned from annoyance to contentment to the news my father told me. When he finished speaking, he turned his face to face me with the ‘What do you think’ look. “Dad, this may be one of your best plans.”

Ae Sook

Of all the people, why did it have to be Kai? I began to run from roof-to-roof. I better call Mom. I dialed her number, but she wouldn’t answer. Come on, answer the phone. “Yeoboseyo?” the voice from phone asked. “Eomma, don’t let that guy in,” I screamed. “What guy?” “Brown hair, high school student, 182 cm, has beautiful dark brown eyes...what am I saying?!” “Oh him, yeah I might have let him in…” “What?! Why?!” “He wanted to check up on you since you were not at school today,” she exclaimed. “One problem, Mom… I’m not at home!” I shout. “I know already, but he won’t leave until you wake up.” “Fine I’ll be there in 5 minutes.”

Kai

I could hear Mrs. Go talking to someone on the phone in the kitchen. She seemed calm while the person on the other line was screaming like a lunatic. Who is she on the phone with? “Okay, bye,” she stated as she ended the call. In her hands, she had glasses of sweet tea. “Sorry for stepping out for a bit, so what were we talking about?” she asked. “I think you were talking about Ae Sook,” I replied. “Right, as a kid she wanted to help around the house.” “What would she do?” I asked while trying to keep myself from laughing. “One thing she did was cook for me when I was sick, but it never went well. She would try to make macaroni and cheese, but the cheese would be too runny and the macaroni was still raw,” she said as she laughed. I couldn’t help it but laugh at her statement. So the high and mighty Ae Sook has a few flaws.

Ae Sook

I finally reached my house, and I entered my bedroom window. I need to change quickly. In a flash, I changed into my pajamas. After that, I took out a blow dryer and blew it in my face causing my face to become sweaty and hot. I then took out my make-up and put blush under my nose making me look sick. I can’t believe I have to this. When I was ready, I called my mom. “Eomma…” I said sickly while coughing. I hope he buys it.

Kai

“She must be awake,” Mrs. Go exclaimed, “Could you take this to her?” “Sure,” I replied. I began to walk up the stairs feeling nervous. Maybe I shouldn’t have come; I probably will be a bother. I didn’t see where I was going making me bump into the door. OW! I rubbed my head until I was interrupted by a cough. “Come in,” I sick voice called from the other side of the door. “Here it goes.”  With that, I opened the door.

Ae Sook

The door opened revealing a head popping out from the doorway. Amused at his act, I laughed a little. “Hahaha, what are you doing?” I questioned as I regained my sick composure. He shrugged his shoulder as if say ‘I don’t know?’ “Anyway, what do you have there?” “Chicken noodle soup,” he exclaimed as he handed me the tray. I sniffed the soup’s delicious scent. “You didn’t poison this, right?” I said with a serious tone. “Haha, you’re funny!” No, I’m serious I thought as I eyed him. “Your mom and I made this for you,” he muttered. Without hesitation, I put the spoon into my mouth. A burst of flavor came rushing in as I swallowed the soup. “This is better than when my mom cooks it… Thank you,” I said as I blushed. Red came to his cheeks as I complimented him. “You’re welcome…” A long moment of silence was in the room as I ate the steaming soup. “By the way, are you really that bad of a cook?” he asked. At his question, I almost choked on a chicken cube. “What?!” “Your mom was telling me stories of you when you were little; you seriously messed up on macaroni and cheese?” What has my mom been telling him?! Interrupting my thoughts, a laugh escaped his lips. “It was cute what she was telling me; anyway, I’ve got to go… See you at school.” With that, he shut the door. What just happened; did he call me cute? I waited a few minutes until I could hear the front door close.I could hear the front door close. I let out a sigh and screamed, “MMMMMOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!”