Baby Blues

All of Me, All for You

As Junmyeon lies on his back, sunken into the sheets, he contemplates how he’ll explain this to Baekhyun. He tries to reach for the glass of water on the night stand but the only action he is capable of is wincing. How is he going to take care of a pregnant husband with a pulled back muscle?

 

“Junmyeon? Are you here?” Junmyeon sighs. He can’t stand letting Baekhyun down, and even more so, their unborn child.

 

“I’m in the bedroom.” Junmyeon hears the rustling of grocery bags and counts the steps as Baekhyun makes his way up the stairs. He avoids eye contact with the younger when Baekhyun appears in the doorway. Baekhyun gasps.

 

“What happened? How—“ Junmyeon offers his husband a sheepish smile.

 

“I slipped on a toy robot during play time. But it’s nothing serious. Can you get me some water?” Baekhyun isn’t convinced. He s his chin towards the glass of water on the night stand.

 

“There’s water right there, dear.” Junmyeon averts his eyes elsewhere, waiting for Baekhyun to chastise him for being so careless. The bed dips as Baekhyun comes around and crawls next to Junmyeon.

 

“Nothing serious, huh? Junmyeon, you can’t even reach for a glass not even two feet away.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Baekhyun laughs as he pecks Junmyeon’s cheek.

 

“Why are you apologizing?”

 

“I’m supposed to be taking care of you. Now, you’ll have to take care of me.” Baekhyun kisses Junmyeon’s pout.

 

“It’s my pleasure. Rest, you silly goose. I’m going to prepare lunch.”

 

--

 

The moment Junmyeon is granted a leave from work the baby preparations begin. In a week’s time, Baekhyun’s studio is cleared out and baby furniture is hauled in. Most of their baby things are hand me downs from both Baekhyun and Junmyeon’s older brothers but they don’t mind. They may not have much but there will never be a shortage of love.

 

By the time Baekhyun is in his fourth month nearly everything is prepared for the arrival of their little boy or girl. Everything except Baekhyun and Junmyeon themselves.

 

Sometimes Baekhyun forgets that he is pregnant until he tries to put on his pre-pregnancy clothes and can’t get them on. On such days he’ll either smile at the reminder or his hormones will make him selfish and he’ll cry over his changing body. Either way Junmyeon is always there, ready to smile with him or to hold him.

 

Junmyeon has his own moments as well. Every morning, on his way to make breakfast, he’ll stop in front of the nursery and just observe the room. Some days Junmyeon will actually open the door but on others he’ll just stare at the baby blue door because everything feels like a dream and he’s afraid if he tries to touch it, it will disappear.

 

But today Junmyeon is feeling braver than ever. He wakes up an hour earlier than he normally would, so that he’ll have some time to himself and also enough time to prepare breakfast.

 

He pushes the door open and navigates the room with his eyes closed. Every obstacle, bend and turn etched into his memory. Only when he reaches the other side does Junmyeon open his eyes and only then does he realize how miniature everything is.

 

“It’s surreal.”

 

“It is, isn’t it?” Baekhyun does his best to hug Junmyeon from behind. Warmth blooms in the elder’s chest.

 

“You’re up early. Couldn’t sleep?” Baekhyun nuzzles his face between Junmyeon’s shoulder blades.

 

“Our baby. Our baby, Junmyeon. Ours.”

 

--

 

Later in the day Baekhyun finds Junmyeon in their baby’s room once again. He’s cross-legged on the floor folding, unfolding, and refolding baby clothes. Once he is satisfied with his folding, Junmyeon lays out the stacks of clothes in a perfect semicircle around him.

 

“Our baby. When will you get here sweetheart? Daddy can’t wait to meet you. Don’t tell your other daddy this but I’m jealous that he gets to spend all day with you. I’m so excited to see you, to hold you, but I’m a little scared. You aren’t even here yet, yet I love you so much. I would go to the ends of the earth for you darling. Kind of like your other daddy. It always scares me how much I love him because when I’m with him, I forget about myself. I forget that I am a person too. If I had to die for him, I would in a heart beat. That’s scary. But that is how much I love him and you.”

 

“For your information I would switch places with you any day.” Baekhyun hates being emotional so even through his tears, he turns every situation silly.

 

“H-how much did you hear?”

 

“Enough to further prove that you are a great, big cheeseball.” Baekhyun leans down to peck Junmyeon’s nose.

 

“Now, you are cleaning this up right? Because I’m not.” Junmyeon catches his husband’s wrist before the smaller can escape.

 

“I meant every word.” Baekhyun is flustered as he isn’t used to his husband being this intimate. Junmyeon is cheesy, yes, but intimate? Not so much.

 

“I know, Jun. I know.”