Final

Before the Bell

In their shared literature class, Chanyeol walks over to where Baekhyun is sitting and holds out his hand for the other to shake.

"I'm Chanyeol and I want to get to know you better."

Baekhyun stares at the outstreched hand for a moment before taking it, smiling widely as he did so. "I'm Baekhyun and I think that's a splendid idea."

 

And so begins this routine every day before the bell officially rings in literature where Chanyeol goes to Baekhyun and holds out his hand.

"I'm Chanyeol, what's your favourite colour?"

Baekhyun takes it. "I'm Baekhyun and my orange is my favourite colour. Yours?"

"I like blue."

And they smile to each other as the bell rings and the instructor tells everyone to sit down.

 

Half the time, it's incredibly dumb questions that are being exchanged.

"I'm Chanyeol. When's your bedtime?"

"I'm Baekhyun. 23:00. Yours?"

"Same."

 

"I'm Chanyeol. What's the number one thing you hate most?"

"I'm Baekhyun, and it's when people sit next to me on the bus without asking. God, I hate that."

"When people poke me on Facebook. Is it even necessary?"

 

"I'm Chanyeol. Play any sports?"

"I'm Baekhyun and I play tennis."

"I'm—"

"On the basketball team, I know," and Baekhyun's eyes disappear as he smiles again at Chanyeol and seeing this smile isn't new but Chanyeol's heart still skips a beat.

 

This has been going on for two months now and is the only interaction they have everyday. Chanyeol wants more.

 

"I'm Chanyeol and I like you."

"I'm Baekhyun and that's not a question."

"Do you like me also?"

But it's then that the bell rings and Chanyeol is whisked away to his seat without an answer.

 

Today is a bit different. Baekhyun marches over to Chanyeol's seat and holds out his hand.

"I'm Baekhyun and I like you."

Chanyeol takes his hand and smiles wider than usual (if that's even possible).

"I'm Chanyeol, and that's not a question."