Chapter 4

Fate

“So you won’t be sitting with us today?” Eunji pouted.

 

Minah nodded her head vigorously, “No way, not a chance. ___ and Sungkyu HAVE to happen.” She smiled the biggest smile you have seen in weeks.

 

“Chill, it’s just lunch.” Eunji said, “Make sure to look happy girl.” She laughed as she poked you on the cheek and you three parted ways.

 

You looked out into the cafeteria, trying to find him. It was quite hard thanks to the large amount of students currently buzzing around. Suddenly someone whispered to you from behind.

 

“Looking for someone?”

 

You smiled at him, “So, lunch?”

 

He nodded and walked in front of you. The two of you toured the cafeteria for a while, trying to find an empty table. You finally found one, 3 tables next to where Eunji and Minah were sitting at, giving them a perfect view of your…semi-date.

 

“I’m starting to regret this.” You groaned as you placed your tray on the table.

 

Sungkyu laughed, “You’ll get used to the stares, just ignore them.” He started eating his food.

 

“What’s the big deal with you guys anyway? I mean, I get that your music’s good and all but wow…”

 

“So you think we make good music?” he smiled happily.

 

You blushed, “I’ve only listened to a couple of your songs though.”

 

“Hmm, name your favorite.” He asked you.

 

You thought for a while and tried to recall the name of the songs Minah gave you, “I guess it would be cover girl.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I like the lyrics.”

 

“Good to know.” He nodded, “Tell me more about you.”

 

“What’s there to know?”

 

He shrugged, “Hobbies? Interests? Ideal types?” he winked, which made you scoff.

 

You tapped your spoon on your plate, “Well, I’m really into reading. I also like watching thriller movies. Sometimes I guess I enjoy singing, but only to myself.”

 

“And your ideal type?” he pushed.

 

You laughed, “Why so eager to know?”

 

He smiled as he looked down, “So maybe I can get a few hints.”

 

Immediately you feel your entire body heat up as your face turned bright red. So Kim Sungkyu really did like you. You just can’t wrap your head around this fact.

 

He scooted over closer to you and whispered, “Don’t you want to know about me?”

 

You nodded shyly as he ruffled your hair, “Well first, I think you’re cute.”

 

You let out a small giggle and he continued, “I’m really into music, as you may know. I trust my boys more than anyone in the whole world. I like kimchi, a lot. Other than that it’s the usual, great singer, not good in studies…oh and I know how to drive.”

 

“Good to know.” You smiled as you peeked over to Eunji and Minah, who were now making gestures saying that the two of you should go out.

 

“I have something to ask you.” Sungkyu poked you.

 

You looked at him, “What is it?”

 

“Are you free after school?”

 

You shrugged, “I…guess. Why?”

 

He blushed, “I was thinking that maybe we can hang out a bit? Get to know each other even more. Oh, and study, a little bit.” He laughed.

 

You nodded your head, “Sure.”

 

“Great. I’ll wait for you at the school gates. Don’t worry, I’ll drive you home tonight, if that’s okay with you?”

 

You simply nodded, still not believing that Kim Sungkyu just asked you out. The sound of a bell ringing signaled the end of lunchtime and both of you rose from your seats.

 

“So, see you after school.” Sungkyu ruffled your hair and smiled as he walked towards the cafeteria exit.

 

Immediately, Eunji and Minah swarmed to your side and started screaming.

 

“Oh my God, I changed my mind you two should definitely date.” Eunji said as she squealed.

 

“So, what did you two talk about? Why so cozy?” Minah smiled, ecstatically.

 

“He…he asked me out, after school.” You smiled.

 

“OH MY DEAREST LORD! YOU SAID YES RIGHT?” Minah jumped up and down.

 

“You think?” you laughed as the three of you walked towards class.

 

Throughout the rest of the day all you could think about was your after-school date with Sungkyu. You had to admit, your heart was beating so hard and so loud you swore your friends could hear it. Although you didn’t want to admit it, you couldn’t deny it either, you liked him.

 

The final class bell rang as you dashed off the classroom, not minding the calls from your two best friends. You approached the front gates slowly and you could see his silhouette standing under a big tree. You stepped outside of the building and your eyes met. He immediately smiled and walked towards you.

 

“Hey there stranger.” He smiled shyly. He stayed a step under you, making him a tad bit shorter, which you thought was incredibly cute.

 

“How long have you been out there? The bell just rang like 3 minutes ago?” you asked him.

 

He smirked, “I’m not exactly a teacher’s pet, dear.”

 

You rolled your eyes as you stepped down, now joining him on his step, “So where are we going?”

 

He shrugged, “What do you feel like doing?”

 

“Don’t judge me, but I would kill for an ice cream.” You giggled.

 

He laughed, “So, ice cream it is.” He grabbed his car keys and led you to his parking space right outside the school.

 

Sungkyu took you out to an ice cream shop just around 10 minutes away from your school. He chose typical vanilla whereas you went for caramel, your favorite. The two of you spent what seemed to be hours there, simply talking about each other. You learned that he came from a well-off family, but he had a few issues with his parents. You told him that your family was fine financially, and had no issues, in which he told you he envied.

 

“So what exactly do your parents have against you? Or is it the other way around?” you asked him as he drove you home.

 

He shrugged, “It’s kinda complicated.”

 

“I’m sure I can keep a secret.” You smiled, in which he smiled back.

 

“Well, let’s just put it this way. They’re not the biggest fans of me being in a band. My dad would like me to be the heir of the family business. I’ve always told him that he could always ask my older sister to do it, but he wants the males of the family to take control. My mom has my future set out for me. If she could, she would get me married this year. Believe me, she found this so-called “perfect” girl for me whom I’ve never met before.”

 

You nodded, “So she wants to put you into an arranged marriage?”

 

“Typical, huh? I don’t even get why she thinks this girl is so great. She’s just rich. Oh wait, I forgot the fact that she’s the daughter of my mom’s best friend.” He rolled his eyes.

 

You smiled, “Maybe you should give her a shot? You never know.”

 

He looked at you and squinted his eyes, “No thanks, I’ve got someone else I’m interested in.” he gave you a wink.

 

You looked away, hoping that he didn’t see you blush, “My house is right there.” You pointed to your house as he pulled over.

 

He got out of the car and opened the door for you, “I had fun today.” He smiled as he looked at you.  

 

You smiled back as you swung your bag over your shoulders, “Me too.” You said as you shuffled your feet from left to right, not sure what to say next.

 

“You want to do lunch together again, tomorrow?” he asked, hopeful.

 

“Sure, why not. Maybe you can bring your friends over.”

 

“And you can bring yours.” He stated as he chuckled, “We should do this more often?”

 

“What, not study?” you laughed.

 

He smiled, “We can study once in a while, but only if you promise to go out with me more often.”

 

You blushed and nodded, “Seems like a deal. Let’s see what you have in store for me then.”

 

He raised his eyebrows, “Challenge accepted. So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?”

 

You nodded, “Thanks for today, Gyu. I had fun.” You smiled at the sound of his nickname coming out of your mouth.

 

You didn’t know whether it was your reflexes or whether it was just the spur of the moment but you leaned forward and gave him a quick peck on his cheek. It felt like static, literally. Your heart was beating so fast and you blushed like crazy. You waved quickly and walked inside your house, leaving a startled Sungkyu in front of your house. You slid down after closing the front door, trying to calm your racing heartbeat.

 

Meanwhile, outside your house, Sungkyu stood still as the touched his cheek. He didn’t believe what just happened. But one thing’s for sure, he’s sure glad it did.