Answer sheet [10, 15]

20 Questions [Valentine's Day Edition]

The miniature lightbulb flickered and made a funny buzzing noise. A twelve year old Byunghun cautiously poked the plastic lid with his index finger, abruptly retracting his hand whenever he thought the electric currents would seep into his body. He didn't want to die, not yet, at least. There was just too much to do, and he couldn't risk the chances. He turned around to beckon for his partner in crime - who was hiding behind the safety of the wooden door - to come closer, indicating that the coast was clear, and there was nothing to fear. The older of the two shook his head vigorously, rejecting the idea. Byunghun huffed, but did nothing to persuade his friend to join him. He was convinced that it was an easy mission, and made sure to tease the other afterwards when he triumphed. 

"Gherkins?"

Chanhee furrowed his forehead. "Heck, no. What else is there?" No normal teenager in their generation would consume those slimy green sticks. The only ones that ate them in his household were his parents, and so he never laid a finger on the dreaded olive coloured jar. 

Byunghun scoffed in return. "If there was actually something in this darned fridge, maybe I would've suggested something more appetizing, smartass."

"What happened to all the food?!" Chanhee asked incredulously. "Didn't your mum just restock it yesterday?"

Byunghun stuck his head further in the fridge, eyes roaming for anything edible. "She must've left the food in the shops. I don't know." He raised his shoulders and allowed them to fall, displaying his disappointment. "We should make sure that the fridge gets stocked up before we hunt for midnight snacks the next time..."

A familiar voice cleared , making Byunghun jump on the spot. "Next time?" She asked with a sickeningly sweet voice. "What are you doing in the kitchen, Lee Byunghun?" Mrs Lee barked. "It's late! You're supposed to be in bed by now."

"Um... Hi, mum." He said lamely. The hair on the back of his neck stood, he was sure it wasn't the chilly air from the fridge that caused it this time. "Chanhee wanted to grab a bite, and so I thought-"

"Chanhee?" She flicked the light switch on. "I don't see a Chanhee in here."

Byunghun blocked out the bright light with his arms, eyes slowly adjusting to the light. He whipped his head about while scanning the kitchen. "But... He was right there a moment ago!" He pointed to the doorway, awfully close to where Mrs Lee stood, crossed armed. 

"Well?"

From the corner of his eye, Byunghun spotted his friend sitting on the staircase pulling off funny faces at him. He didn't know how he managed to escape before Mrs Lee arrived, which made him wonder if he had known that she was coming beforehand and didn't warn him about it. He bared his canines just enough for Chanhee to see. In return, Chanhee wiggled his eyebrows playfully, before disappearing into Byunghun's room. 

Byunghun heaved out a sigh. "Sorry, mum."