Chapter 4

East of the Sun

    “What?!” Lu Han jumps back up and starts waving his arms about, his voice getting louder, “What do you mean you know?! When did- Why didn’t you tell me?! Is this that memory you blocked me from?! You--” Lu Han is about to continue, but Sehun covers his face with a pillow before he can yell more.

    “Will you be quiet!” He says through his teeth. “He told me this afternoon. When we were together.” Lu Han nods behind the pillow, then shoves it off.

    “Obviously, you were together when he told you. What else? Tell me more.”

    “No. I don’t want to talk about it.” Sehun moves to sit on his bed, but Lu Han stops him with a hand on his arm. His excited expression replaced by a soft sternness Sehun rarely sees.

    “Then show me.”

    “Is it really that important to you?”

    “Of course it is! And it should be even more important to you,” Lu Han catches himself before Sehun shoves the pillow in his face again, “Sit.”

    “It is important to me. I just. I don’t know how I’m supposed to be reacting.” Sehun sits down on his bed, then lays down when Lu Han shoves him in the shoulder. If he is going to read him, it’s going to be in a comfortable position. Lu Han joins him by throwing his leg over Sehun’s body, straddling the younger’s waist, his hands falling to rest on Sehun’s temples.

    “I know you don’t know how to react. You’re emotionally dense, but that’s okay.” Sehun is about to protest but Lu Han flicks him into silence. Instead, Sehun tries his best to get comfortable, his eyes falling closed and his hands resting somewhere on Lu Han’s thighs, tapping a random beat. It takes a bit for him to feel anything going through his head, so he opens his eyes to see Lu Han folding himself down to rest his head just below Sehun’s chin, his hands still in their place on his temples. He chuckles a bit, earning a sharp smack to the side of his head. “Shut up, I’m focusing.”

    “Okay, okay.” Sehun closes his eyes again, this time bringing himself back to earlier that day. The argument with Jongin, the trip to Kyuhyun, sitting on Jongin’s bed, Jongin giving him---

    "Hey…since we're being all chatty…with each other."

    Jongin waited for him to continue, but when no more words came, he asked, "What?"

    “Nevermind. I’m. Not even sure what I wanted to ask...”

    Jongin turned to face Sehun, copying his position with legs crossed and hands resting on ankles, “I have a question.”

    “Okay,” Sehun gave a small smile, “since we’re being all chatty.” He didn’t expect Jongin to laugh, but it spread a warmth through his chest. He didn’t realize how lively the prince can be. He found it beautiful. It took a few minutes for Jongin to sober, never fully removing the smile from his face until he spoke again.

    “You...Do you. Do you hate me?”

    “What?” Sehun was caught off guard. “No. Why would I... What?”

    “It’s just a question,” Jongin flushed, running a hand through his hair. “You don’t have to answer it.”

    “I dont hate you!” Sehun said with more conviction than he expected. “I. I. You get annoying sometimes. With the poofing,” he waves his hands around, suddenly thinking of how Lu Han was rubbing off on him, then continued, “I never hated you, though. I thought you were the one that hated me.” Jongin fairly jumped at that, his eyes wide and brow furrowed.

    “I could never,” Jongin whispered, moving his hand closer to Sehun on the bed, “ever, hate you. Ever.” Sehun shifted. He’d never experienced Jongin like this. Bared to him, wholly. It was hard to understand. Just a few hours ago, they were yelling at each other, and for the past ten years they’d been ignoring each other as much as possible, but now, because of that argument, because of something else, Sehun wants to be close to the soon-to-be prince. He wants to talk to him, now that he knows how easy it is. He wants to hear him laugh more, see him smile more, be the one--- Sehun cut his train of thought off before it got too weird for him. Also, Jongin was speaking. “I. I think. Um. Sehun?”

    “Yeah?” Sehun looked closer at him. This was weird. His skin was getting warmer, he could feel blood rushing to his face. Jongin looked to be in the same state. His hair falling in his eyes, his cheeks darkened by--What was it? The light? His hand trembled a bit as it moved closer to Sehun. Sehun watched as Jongin’s fingers slid across the sheet toward him. All the things Lu Han had called Jongin rang clear in his mind. Beauty. Sehun watched Jongin’s lips form his name. Stunner. His name again. Gift from the Gods. A hand on his cheek snapped him out of his reverie. Sehun whispered something, he wasn’t sure what, but it got Jongin moving even closer. He stopped when their foreheads were pressed together.

    Sehun had never seen him this close. His lips were a bit dry. He had a faint mustache growing in, barely noticeable except at this distance. He skin felt hot, almost feverish. He wanted to feel more. Wanted to feel something.

    Sehun was the first to move. He tilted his head to the side, closing the distance between them. Their lips brushed lightly but did no more until Jongin pressed them together. It was gentle. A light pressure between them, and neither of them moved. Sehun wasn’t actually sure what to do if he did move, this was the first time he’d ever kissed anyone, and by the stillness of the other boy, it was probably Jongin’s first time too. Jongin got confident though, pressing their mouths together firmly. He moved his head sideways, taking Sehun’s lip between his teeth. there was a noise from somewhere, sehun wasn’t sure where, but it got Jongin moving his hand from Sehun’s cheek to the back of his head. That was when Sehun pulled away.

    He stared at Jongin with wide eyes. He just kissed royalty. The boy he thought he couldn’t stand, at that. Jongin seemed to sober the longer they stared at each other, flinching back..

    “I. Uh,” Jongin muttered out. Neither of them were sure what was supposed to me said. “It’s getting late. We should probably go to bed,” was what he settled with. Sehun figured that was a good enough thing to say, and nodded.

    “I was actually, um, planning on visiting my family. Just head over there tonight,” Sehun tried. He had, in fact, wanted to go see his family. He just planned for it to be tomorrow during the day, instead of now when the sun is almost fully set. Jongin nodded and his lips. Sehun imagined him his lips instead, and quickly stood up. “I should. Yeah,” he said to the floor, pointing at the door.

    “Right. Probably should.” Jongin stood as well, moving to be a bit away from Sehun. As Sehun made for the exit, Jongin stopped him. “Wait.” He moved to one of his wardrobes, and pulled out a fur cloak. “Here. It’s cold out,” he mumbled, handing the cloak to Sehun. Sehun took it, put it on, and whispered his thanks and farewells. Then, he was out of the castle as quickly as he could be.

    The air hit him sharply. Sehun didn’t know why he was surprised it was cold. Winter was coming. He pulled the ermine cloak tighter around him, and continued on his way. It was going to take a little over an hour to get to his home in the middle ring, so he needed to walk quickly.

    As stunned and confused as he was about kissing Jongin, he couldn’t keep the smile from his face. It had felt good. Warm and tender. Something Sehun has never experienced, and didn’t think he would experience with Jongin, of all people. He had figured he and Lu Han would’ve decided to be together since they were so close already. Not that he was already thinking about spending his life with the soon-to-be prince. It was just a kiss. Regardless, Sehun now knew something else about the royal. Jongin had feelings for him, and as scary or repulsing as Sehun thought that should have been to him, it only made him smile more. All in all, today was a good day, and definitely wouldn’t argue against more days like it.

    “Hey!” Sehun turned around at the sound of his friend. Lu Han bound up to the younger and linked arms with him once he was able. “You look unusually cheery tonight. What happened? This isn't yours. Where'd you get it? This is expensive material! Oh gods, you're someone's .”

    Lu Han lifts himself off of Sehun with a large inhale, blood trickling out of his nose. Sehun opens his eyes, feeling drained from Lu Han reading him. He sits up, Lu Han shifting down into his lap.

    “There. You happy?” He breathes out. His head feels heavy and dizzy from moving so quickly. Lu Han barely looks at him as he moves off of the younger to throw himself half out the window to vomit into Sehun’s mother’s garden. He had been in Sehun’s head for too long, his seal punishing him in a way for using his ability too much. When he is done expelling whatever had been in his stomach, he returns to Sehun’s side and smacks him on the back of the head.

    “That’s for not telling me right away!” Lu Han half shouts, actually remembering this time that there are other people in the house. Sehun drags him back onto the bed, turning him onto his stomach and sitting on the upper half of his back. “You kissed him! How could not tell me that?!”

    “Shut up,” Sehun says crossing his arms, “I didn’t want to tell anyone, but you’re stubborn and nosy, so.” He lifts himself a bit, then drops his weight onto Lu Han, who lets out a garbled shout.

    “Get off me, you’re heavy.”

    “No, I’m not.” Sehun drops his weight on the elder again, and moves off him.

    Lu Han huffs then rolls onto his side to face Sehun’s back. “So what are you gonna do tomorrow? When you see him,” he asks. Sehun slumps from his position, and lies down next to Lu Han, his back still facing him.

    “I don’t know, Lu Han. I really don’t,” he says softly. Nothing more is said after that, the both of them falling asleep.

---

    Jongin paces him room, trying to figure out how he’s going to face Sehun tomorrow. They kissed. Jongin actually kissed him. It was more than he thought would’ve happened. He would have been satisfied with just sitting together, foreheads pressed together like he had them, and staying like that. Sehun moved closer though. He brushed their lips together. Jongin just did what his body wanted him to, but he isn’t sure it was the right move to make. Sehun didn’t pull back right away, and that acts a comfort to Jongin current mental state.

    He doesn’t think he’ll be getting over today’s events any time soon. They actually talked to each other. They argued. They had a few laughs. Sehun helped him when he injured himself. Stayed with him, even after his self-imposed duties were finished. It was a giant leap in their relationship, and then the kissing happened. Jongin sits down, his heart racing at the pressure he still feels on his lips. A few knocks at his door pull him from his reverie.

    “Come in,” Jongin says after a few breaths. The door opens and in walks Heechul. The older man gives him a short smile, which already puts Jongin on edge. Heechul usually greets him obnoxiously to embarrass him. Jongin puts it down to no one else being around to show off the humiliation to.

    “Hey, kid.” Heechul easily moves to Jongin’s bed and takes a seat. He pats the space beside him, and Jongin joins him, sliding suspicious glances at the man.

    “Hi,” Jongin greets carefully, “What’s going on? Why do you look so upset?” Heechul gives a weak laugh, then looks up at the royal.

    “You had a good day? With Sehun?” Heechul asks gently.

    “Yes?”

    “Quite the little argument you had,” he says, holding a finger up when Jongin starts to interject. How did he know about that? Kyuhyun wouldn’t have told him. As far as Jongin is aware, the two don’t even talk to each other. “And then the trip to Kyuhyun. Good job trying to lie to him. Very smart move.” He looks up at the ceiling, and Jongin sees how tired he actually is. He has never noticed the dark circles, or the thin wrinkles making themselves at home in the man’s skin.

    “How do you know all that?” Jongin asks quickly before Heechul can silence him again.

    “How was kissing him? I know you’ve wanted to do that since you found out what kissing was.” Jongin stands up and stares down at the man. “Give me a sec, kid, I’ll get to your questions.”

    “Get to them now.”

    “You know the answer to one of them already. How I know all of this.” Jongin takes a step back, then lunges forward, pulling Heechul’s tunic open to reveal his bare shoulder. He had no Mark. All sealed civilians had a unique mark left on their bodies from the process. Heechul had shown him his when he was a child. A large geometric rose, but it was gone now.

    “How,” Jongin breathes out, “how do you not---”

    “I never had one.” Heechul pulls Jongin’s hand off of his shoulder. “Ever. Now sit down and shut up, so I can explain something to you. It’s about you and Sehun.” Jongin snaps his mouth shut and sits down next to Heechul again. He has more questions, but if the clairvoyant wants to get something about Sehun out, Jongin can wait. “First off,” Heechul starts, “I’ve been having visions about you since I was younger than you. I never knew who you were until I started working here. Second, none of what I’m about to tell you changes how much I care about you or Sehun. They’re visions, and they’re unbiased as all the hells in existence. Third, you need to remember that knowing what I’m going to tell does not mean you can change it.

    “The things I see are fixed. Nothing changes them. The way they happen changes, but the result is always the same.” He takes a deep breath, and Jongin feels nothing but dread forming in his gut. He doesn’t want to know what Heechul wants to tell him. “You and Sehun are meant to be together.” He puts a finger to Jongin lips to keep him from interrupting, “Let me finish. You two are meant to be together, but it doesn’t last.” Jongin waits for him to finish, surely that wasn’t the end of what Heechul wanted to say.

    “Why doesn’t it last?” Jongin finally asks. Heechul looks up at him, tears his eyes.

    “Because you’re going to kill him.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You're not allowed to hate me.

MAHWAHAAHHAHaHAahAHAaahaHAhaHAhaahA