Pictures

Strong Enough

I was staying home, because I was sick and had a tone of work to do. Swimming through a sea of tissues, nose drops and pills, I was typing away on Ji's laptop, working on a major project. I didn't notice that Ji had left his mail open until somebody started spamming him. At first I wanted to just ignore it, but after at least 10 beeps of constant messages I finally lost it and went to log off his account. But when I went to the blinking window I saw a series of pictures being sent to Ji. Without even trying to see what was happening on the picture, I saw the whole Nuthang crew, Ji in the middle, his arms wrapped around a pretty redhead.

Okey, maybe she is just...a friend. I thought to myself, my eyes now glued to the screen. But the second picture shattered it all. On the second picture, everything was the same, but now the boys of the crew were grinning while Ji was making out with the redhead.

Okey, definitely not just friends. I thought, tears spilling out.

Under the pictures, the girl who sent them said:

'Baby, missing you. Look how we pretty we looked last night. XO'

I remembered that Ji came home last night really late and a surge of pain flashed through me, almost like lightning struck me.

I hurt on so many levels. Ji was cheating on me, and to make it worse, the Nuthang crew, who I considered family, knew about it. It was not like I expected them to tell me, they were his friends, but today when they saw me they acted like yesterday's events never happened. They acted like Ji wasn't cheating on me.

And the last thing that hurt the most was that I told Ji. I told him at the start of our relationship not to cheat on me.

„Tell me if you are bored, and we will stay friends, okey babe? Please just don't cheat on me...I can't bare another man doing that to me again...“

To that he kissed me and told me that he would stay with me, that there will never be other women. Well last time I checked the redhead looked pretty damn close to a female, I thought angrily.

After I finally managed to breathe, and stop sobbing I called my best friend, Allie.

Immediately after she answered the phone, she knew that something was wrong.

„Tam, what's wrong? You sound like you have been crying.“

„Allie...Ji is cheating on me. I saw pictures. He doesn't know that I know. Do you mind if I stay at your place until I find my own?“

„Of course not babe, but are you sure you want to move out already?“

„Yeah...I can't...I-I“ I started sobbing again.

„Sssshhhh, Tam, love, it will be alright. You can stay at my place as long as you want to.“

We finished our conversation soon after, and I went packing. For right now I just took the things I needed the most. 2 suitcases after I called a taxi, and went to Allie's place.

The moment she opened the doors, she pulled me into a tight hug. Like a penguin I wobbled into the apartment with my two suitcases. Closing the doors behind me, I fell on the floor, pulling her with me, and cried.

„I-I don't know how to do it, how to brake it off. And you should have seen the girl. She was so beautiful...so much more than me...“ I kept sobbing into her shoulders.

Allie patiently listened to me, until my sobs became more controlled, than she looked sternly in my eyes.

„You will dress up, look like a bombshell, and tell him that it is over. You won't lose your cool, and you will make him regret for ever sniffing around another woman's .“ To that I had to laugh. Allie always had a way with her words.

I nodded, and let her pull me up from the floor. She ushered me into the shower, and when I emerged, she went to work. First she did my hair, which was now falling straight, a little past my shoulders. Then she put my makeup on, making my big eyes extra cat like and my lips look plump and kissable (her words, not mine). With all that pampering going around, I didn't even think that much about what had actually happened this day. Sure the pain was still here, but with Allie making me laugh, I didn't think too much about ending my year and a half long relationship.

„Finally, the clothes. I want you to look extra chic, but at the same time hot.“ She muttered to herself, rummaging through her closet. Finally she emerged with a pencil skirt and a white tank top. After she put them on me she nodded with satisfaction and added jewelry. Finally she gave me sky high heels.

„Allie...are you sure about this? The heels and everything? I look like I'm going for a job interview.“ I sad, whining, when in fact I really liked the way I looked.

„Nonsense, you look hot. I would do you.“

I rolled my eyes, but wore the heels. After slipping a black coat on, Allie looked at me sternly, again.

„Tam, you can do this. Show him what he lost. Show him your true self, don't let him win, and for God’s sake don't give in. For once in this relationship of yours stand up for yourself. He is a great guy, well sort of, but you never told him of. It is time for you to do it now.“

I nodded and hugged her again, her hug giving me strength.

The taxi ride back home, I mean, Ji's home was short. Entering the apartment I noticed nothing had changed. The pictures were still on the screen, and the apartment was in complete dark, just the way I left it. So Ji wasn't home yet. I sat in front of the laptop, sent him a quick message telling him to hurry back home, and kept working like nothing had happened.

Not long after, I heard the keys in the lock and heard multiple male voices. So the Nuthang crew was here too. Good.

They came in and noticed my attire, and boy was Allie right. They all looked at me like I was meat, Ji biting his lips slightly.

„Babe, I don't remember having a date night.“ He said trying to approach me.

„We are not having a date night, I'm leaving, Ji.”

At first he didn't realize what my words actually meant.

„Where are you leaving?“

„Not where, who. I'm leaving you.“ I said, managing to keep my voice steady.

Before Ji could start speaking, I heard one of the boys behind him say:

„I guess we are going to leave now.“

„No, stay. If you have any respect for me, stay.“ I said, still managing to sound cool. Damn, if I knew I was this good of an actress I would have gone into the movie business.

„Why are you leaving me, Tam?“ Ji said, disbelief all on his face.

„Well, you were dumb enough to leave you mail open. The pretty redhead from last night sent you some pictures. I'm tired Ji. I'm tired of lying to myself, I'm tired of making excuses for you. I'm tired of sitting in this house like a damn princess! And my prince is never around! I'm done...“ I finished and looked at him straight into his eyes.

„Guys, leave.“ Ji said to the rest of the crew and they were out of the apartment in a flash. I went to leave to, but Ji stopped me, lightly grabbing my wrist. I gasped at the closeness of his body. Even after all this time he could still make me tremble by just touching me.

„Let me leave Ji, I told you everything I wanted to tell you.“

„No.“ His reply was short and immediate. I loved him, oh how I loved him, but I couldn't go on like this. He was a wonderful person and the best boyfriend, but I guess I just wasn't enough for him.

„Ji, it is your choice if you want this breakup to be nice, or you want it to turn ugly. I guess if you need to write a song...“ I trailed off, sarcasm dripping from my voice.

„Neither, we are not braking up.“ He said, slamming his fist on the table, startling me.

„I'm sorry, but that is not your choice anymore. I'm done with letting you dominate me. For the first time, I'm standing up for myself. Goodbye Ji.“

With one last glance I turned around and walked out of the apartment. Finally outside, I managed to take 10 steps before I started crying. As my vision got blurry from the tears I realized that I just broke up with the love of my life.