I

Vindicated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. It could not be any truer when it comes to Kpop idols who are caught on dating scandals with their fellow artists. But if you are referring to idols like 2NE1’s Sandara Park and Bigbang’s leader GDragon, then their picture combined is worth a million bucks, or even more than that.

Photos of the gorgeous 2ne1 member locking lips with GD outside Club NB had sparked rumors about the two possiby dating. The said photo was more of a paparazzi shot, taken discreetly and meters away from where the two were spotted. The picture,although quite blurry was taken hurriedly under a dim light that it captured at the exact moment the two kissed. It may not be a very clear photo but one could conclude that it was Sandara Park. With her petite frame, pointed nose and clothes (which she was seen wearing in one of the pictures posted on her Instagram account the same day she was seen with GDragon)-she cannot be mistaken other than someone else. And if one could take  a good look (and perhaps zoom it out) at the picture and based the guy’s lanky frame, blonde locks partially covered with a cap, one cannot be mistaken that it was indeed the Bigbang leader, Kwon Jiyong.

There had been no confirmation from both artists and their management regarding the photo scandal. There was no denial either as no statement had been made yet. And it left people wondering what the real score was between the two. The photo stirred speculation that the two were already in a long-term relationship and had been keeping it under wraps especially from the media and plan to keep it that way. But it was not until the photo of the two became viral and hit the social networking sites. Even when no confirmation had been made, netizens believed that the two were already a couple. But what confirmation was needed when it was Dispatch media outlet (notoriously known for exposing celebrity scandals) who published the photo and ran an article regarding the rumored couple, now branded as DaraGon.

With the rumors spreading like a wild fire, people were eager to hear a word from the two and catch them together in public. Fans and netizens had gone crazier- may it be posting congratulatory messages online or making harsh remarks about the two. Others were rejoicing about their coming-out as a couple. Some believed that the two of them have long been dating even before they became Korea’s top earning artists. And then there are some who could not seem to accept about the two of them dating and they invaded social networking sites expressing their rants and disappointment.

“DaraGon” had been the most searched term on different search engines and it had trended worldwide. Their photos were everywhere-from magazines, newspapers to Internet and television programs. It seemed that the Kpop world (if not South Korea) was shaken,if not thrilled with the news regarding the alleged relationship of Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong

 

Considered as the biggest Korean pop idol of their generation, BigBang made name not only on domestic grounds but more specifically on International market. They were one of the few Korean boy groups who made a successful foray on the International music scene. Fans from all over the world flocked to their sold out concerts and bought copies of their chart topping albums.

Even after a decade, the group remained to be on the upper strata if Idol hierarchy, which according to media analysts-is a spot they shared with their juniors and fellow label mates, WINNER. Right after BigBang’s 10th year anniversary, the management and the members themselves decided to pursue an individual career. They were quick to note that BigBang was not going to diband but rather will be taking a hiatus. Each member thought that it was about time to take a break for a while, work separately and discover things outside from their comfort zone. There was no specific date promised as to when they would be back to performing as a group again but they assured the fans that they will be back and perform again.

And so Kwon Jiyong went on to be one of WINNER’s producer, composer and mentor.

 

*

 

 

2NE1 had also taken the same route as BigBang. Eight years of being the top ranking girl group idols, they have decided it was time to pass the torch to the new generation of girl groups. The group would not disband but will temporarily be making solo projects. However, it would take quite a long time before they could be back as 2NE1 again.

And so Sandara Park was made as the head of YGE’s Public Relation (PR) Department. On some occasion, she accepted drama projects.

 

*

Dara glared at her computer screen as tons of messages flooded her e-mail. There were over a hundred of unread messages, waiting to be read and answered. All of it contained the same inquiry- if she and Kwon Jiyong was an item. His and her face had been plastered all over the Internet, all showing the now infamous photo evidence of them. It had become a big issue on the entertainment circle.

As a PR Head, it was her job to make a press release every time their artists were involved in controversies. It was her responsibility to keep their artists’ lives “private”. It was her who knew their secrets hence it was her job to clean (or at least conceal) their dirt-do damage control to say the least.

But how can she fulfill those responsibilities when it was her who was at the center of the controversy, it was her who was on the eye of the storm. How can she clean the mess when the evidence was there all along? What was there left to do when the damage had been done and no amount of damage control could fix it?

What’s worse was that Kwon Jiyong had stepped in to make the issue more controversial by releasing a statement regarding his stance on the issue. He went on to make a comment without even informing her. It surprised her when she came across to read an article in a reliable entertainment portal site which said that “Sandara Park and GDragon could have been in a decade-long relationship”. It went on saying that “…when Kwon Jiyong was reached to make a comment about the issue, he only has these words to say “My life had been an open book but there are chapters I wish to keep to myself””

She did not know what to feel or react when she read those statements. She knew it did come from GD, he was sure about that.

Without a thought, she stood up and stormed outside her office. She marched towards the east wing of the company building and proceeded with determination towards GD’s studio. She was fuming with anger and was like a time bomb ready to blow up.

Once inside the studio, the sight of Jiyong, with his headphone on both ears, a pen on one hand and fingers strumming on the other-welcomed her. She shut the door with full force for him to be aware of her presence. Upon hearing the loud noise the door created, he glanced back only to see Dara’s angry face.

“What the fck is your problem Ji? What did you just do?” she asked very infuriated.

“Wait. Wait. What the hell are you talking about?” he asked begrudgingly.

“Don’t act like an innocent party here, saying you don’t know what I’m talking about.”

“I don’t know what you are saying”

“Spare me the bullsht, Ji. I’m serious. I’m furious. Fck Ji. Don’t play games with me. I’ve read the article and the writer just quote you.”

“So? I don’t think there’s a problem with that. And besides, that doesn’t even count as a statement. Damn. What can people get from what I’ve said anyway? Nothing right?”

“You do not go to the press saying something like that. You do not just release your own statement without my consent. Heck, I am working on the PR Department and everything undergoes with me. Why the hell did you just blurted those words? Aren’t you concern that people  might take it the wrong way?”

“Then so be it. I don’t care. I don’t fckng care”

“You don’t care? Wow. Really huh? You don’t care that the issue will just get bigger. You knew that the issue had been taken out of proportion. You knew. You knew but still decided to make that comment. Haven’t you learn your lesson, Ji? What were you thinking? Come on. Tell me. What the fck were you thinking?”

“What was I thinking? What?

Wow! You’re asking me that? Really? Yes, what the fck was I thinking?

What? Am I just gonna sit here and shut up when my name is being dragged in this fckng scandal? Don’t expect me to do nothing. Don’t expect me to make things more difficult because you know I can do worst that that.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter