Chapter Two

On top of the world

They were mid flight and Hyuk still was very distracted by the strange boy. Kyu had seen his friend's unease but had decided to wait it out in favour of playing with his PSP.

Donghae really needed to go to the bathroom but Teukie hyung was fast asleep. Hae had calmed down and was actually enjoying the fluffy clouds outside his window. He bit his lip as he turned away once more and looked at the slightly snoring hyung.  He made a decision and unbuckled. He placed his hand on the headrest behind Teuk and calculated the rotation and jump.

Hyuk eyes widened as he saw the strawberry blond move. The boy lifted himself completely over Leeteuk's head and landed neatly on the pathway along the chairs. The action didn't go unnoticed and many gaped. Hae wasn't even aware of all the attention, he just started to walk towards the toilet. Right before he passed Hyukjae, Hae suddenly fell onto his knees, his hand reached out and grabbed the first thing available. Hyuk frowned until he saw Top retracting his leg quickly. He had tripped the boy.

'Man you were awesome!' Kyu yelled into Hyuk's ear towards Donghae.

Hae felt clumsy, he looked up and met piercing almond eyes. This went on for mere seconds. Kyu's eyes went from the boy towards his friend and back. Then he noticed Donghae's hand on Hyuk's thigh and his eyes widened.

'Hae, honey, are you okay?' Heechul's voice woke the boys from their trance.

'S-sure hyung, I just tripped.' Hae said while looking down again. He suddenly became aware of the position of his hand and started to blush furiously. 'S-s-sorry!' He stuttered as he retracted his hand, hastely got up and ran towards the toilet.

'Aish! I wanted to talk to that kid.' Heechul whined as he just arrived at Hyuk's seat, he puffed his cheeks out and turned back around.

'That boy...' Hyuk said softly.

'Yes?' Kyu leaned in, surprised his captain was speaking up.

'There is something about that boy.'

'You mean he's...attractive?' Kyu tried.

Hyuk turned his head and stared into his friend's eyes. 'What? What kind of non sense are you babbling on about?' Hyuk spit out.

Kyu sighed. 'Nevermind.' He went back to playing as Hyuk seemed to return to his own little world.

Something about that kid freaks me out.

 

'Hey monkey, we are bunking together right?' Kyuhyun yells at his friend as he tried to make his luggage go his way.

Hyuk just shrugged in response.

'Why can't I sleep with you?' He heard that soft voice again and secretively looked a bit to his right. He saw Donghae looking down at the ground, in front of a helpless Teuk.

'Because I'm the only one that can handle Heechul.' Leeteuk tried to explain, his heart aching at the sight of that small pout.

'Don't worry, we'll share a room.' Hae froze as he felt a hand on his shoulder. He slowly looked up.

'I'm Lee Sungmin, by the way, nice to meet you.' The guy smiled sweetly at Donghae.

Hae bowed politely. 'Lee Donghae. Please take care of me well, hyung.'

Sungmin's smile reached his eyes. 'I like you already, come on, let's go!' He hooked his arm into Donghae's and dragged him towards the elevator after grabbing their key from Leeteuk.

 

'Kangin will carry the flag.' Leeteuk said as he viewed his notes. They had all gathered before dinner into a small conference room at the hotel. 'The opening ceremony is tomorrow and I expect you all to be there. Please don't make me remind you that we are guests here in Russia, so behave!' He glared at the ice hockey team who were bored and had no issue showing that. 'Condoms have been stocked in every room. Use them! Top, I swear to God, if you are going to ask me how, I'll give your entire team a curfew!' Teuk snarled. Top quickly put his hand down. The rest of them were snickering.

Hae was staring out the window, fascinated by the foreign landscape. He suddenly raised his hand.

'Yes, Hae?' Teuk said gently.

Hyuk frowned at the nickname and the tone.

'Can I go for a practice run instead of dinner?'

'I'll eat his portion!' Changmin and Shindong yelled out at the same time.

'No.' Leeteuk said sternly then he turned back to Donghae. 'Hae, no skipping meals, I'll hand you your schedule in the morning after breakfast.'

The spark didn't leave Donghae's eyes. 'Okay, hyung!' He quickly looked out of the window again, dreaming of tomorrow.

 

Hae had just changed when his hotelroom door was pushed open.

'Hey! You have to knock!' Sungmin said shocked at the intruder.

Kyu quickly looked into the room, turned his head and yelled. 'No fun people here, Hyuk! Just that ski jumper and the weird snowboard kid!' He slammed the door back shut.

Sungmin looked at Hae and decided to approach him. 'Don't mind them, they are just rude!' He tried to comfort.

Hae smiled weakly. 'It's okay, I know I'm weird.'

Sungmin stared at him for a bit and then shook his head. 'Nope, I have the feeling you are really special and I would love to get to know you!'

Hae was surprised at the nice words that were directed to him. He looked at Sungmin's outstretched hand.

'Friends?' The ski jumper asked.

Hae shyly nodded. Min quickly grabbed his hand and shook them together before hugging the boy.

Hae closed his eyes as he felt warm. Distant memories overwhelmed him. Warm was good for as long as it lasted. He willed any ill feelings away and tried to enjoy the moment.