Chapter One

On top of the world

'We are all gathered here to announce our team for the next winter games in Sochi.' Leeteuk spoke to the press. He was used to these kinds of conferences. The room was packed with national but also international cameras. Most of them were here for their famous ice hockey team. Those boys had won everything the past year and were expected to bring home at least a medal.

'I will end your suspense. Please welcome the Red Monkeys!' Leeteuk stretched his arm out towards the door. 'Here come Lee Hyukjae and his team!'

Hyukjae jumped onto the small podium, his arms in the air as the room cheered. His teammates followed him, all with big grins. Hyuk grabbed the microphone. 'Hey folks, you all know who we are!' He looked at his friends and as one they raised a fist. 'Ooh ooh ooh!' It sounded all through the room. After several chest and fist bumps the hockey players finally calmed down.

Leeteuk got a hold of the mic again. 'Next up...' He continued to introduce the members of the South Korean Olympic team.

Donghae was standing in the backroom, waiting for his name to be called out by Teukie hyung. He absentmindedly ran his hand through his strawberry blond hair. He didn't want to be there but he was promised the most exciting trip in a life time. His hunger for the snow, for the perfect run raced through his blood. He cared nothing about medals nor honour. He just wanted to feel the wind through his bangs. He just wanted to feel free. He smiled at the thought.

The press room was getting restless as they waited for an unknown boy to enter. 'Lee Donghae!' Leeteuk repeated as he stared at the door.

Donghae woke up from his daydream and stumbled in to the room.

Suddenly all went quiet. Hae just bowed and kept his gaze down, he didn't like crowds and he especially disliked to be the center of attention.

'Weirdoooooo' Shindong whispered quite loudly. His teammates started laughing.

'Is that a guy or a girl?' Junsu said confused.

Hyukjae just stared at the newbie. He shivered at the weird aura.

'I wonder what discipline he excels in.' Kyuhyun grumbled.

Leeteuk approached the shy boy and wrapped an arm lovingly over his shoulders.

Hyukjae frowned. Teuk was one hell of a tough professional. He knew the man for at least 3 years and never ever had he seen that softened expression in his eyes.

Donghae unconsciously leaned a bit against the elder.

'Tell them what you qualified for.' Teuk said gently before he held the mic in front of the flustered boy.'

Hae bowed again. 'Hi everyone, I'm L-Lee Donghae and I love snowboarding.' He said in a soft voice.

Heechul, the figure skater, jumped up, trying not to squeal. He applauded loudly. Heechul glared at the snorting rude bunch of hockey players.

Hyuk saw Leeteuk guiding the timid boy towards the rest of them. He noticed the gentle pats on the boy's well developed buns. His frown deepened as he saw Kangin, the usually stoic skier, embrace the strawberry blond enthusiastically.

'Are you okay? Hyuk?' Kyu elbowed his captain.

'Huh?' Hyuk diverted his gaze in favour of his friend.

'You look frozen.' Kyu said.

'I'm fine.' Hyuk mumbled.

'The boys are going to have a field day with that poor boy.' Kyu snickered.

Hyuk shrugged, his thoughts drifting away again. Something about the strange boy irked him. It messed with his mind. He was getting irritated.

 

'GD! My man!' Top yelled through the plane.

GD smiled and welcomed the tall, loud hockey player.

'Can we sit together?' Top asked, puppy eyeing his friend?

GD sighed and nodded. 'But you aren't going to talk my head off, right?'

'Right!' Top said.

After some small talk Top finally reached his goal. 'Hyung?'

'Hmmm?' GD  asked.

'Do you know that weird kid?'

'Which one?'

'Lee Donghae.'

GD stared at his friend. 'Why?' He asked, suspicious.

A playful grin appeared on Top's handsome face.

GD sighed. 'No, Top, don't mess with the kid.'

The grin faded into a pout. 'Why not?' He whined.

'Leeteuk hyung is very protective of the boy.'

'Is he at least any good?'

'At snowboarding?'

'What else?' Top rolled his eyes.

'I don't know, I never saw him perform.'

Top frowned. 'How is that even possible? How could he have qualified then?'

'I missed one tournament late December.' GD stated.He must have qualified then.'

 

Teuk smiled indulgently as he felt a small hand clutch his shirt.

'Hae, it's going to be fine.'

'I never flew before, hyung.' Hae mumbled.

'But you love to fly, Hae. You do it every time you snowboard.' Teuk said calmly.

'Can you sit with me?' Hae asked after a short silence.

'With pleasure. All will be fine, Hae. Trust me!.'

 

'Don't you want the window seat?' Kyu asked flabbergasted as Hyuk pulled him passed him towards the said seat.

'Nah.'

You always want that seat.' Kyu said.

Hyuk didn't listen, his eyes were fixated on the strawberry blond head that was leaning on Leeteuk's shoulder.

Kyu followed the gaze, an eyebrow cocked up and a smirk slowly appeared on his face.