Chapter Two: Being Friendly and Helpful is a Charm Point

Winnin' Her Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One Recap:

 

“Anyway it’s nice to meet you, chingu-ya!” she said as she hold my hands.

 

I could feel my cheeks burning so hard that it actually feels hot, and I’m sure that I must have looked real red. My palm is getting sweaty too from the nervousness I’ve gotten. My heart is also thumping really hard, and to tell you the truth, even the nervousness is no joke compared to the first time I stood on stage with Mong hyung.

 

I wonder…

 

Is this sparks that I’m feeling what you called as ‘Love at first sight’?

 

Chapter Two: Being Friendly and Helpful is a Charm Point

 

“Because that you were there that I’m still hanging on…”

 

HanBin’s PoV

 

November 30th, 2012

121-886 서울시 마포구 합정동 397-5 5층

Seoul, Mapo-gu, Hapjeong-dong, 397-5, YG Entertainment

 

After sorting out the songs from the playlist that I made, we both stayed there for a long time, listening to each song to find if there’s really a song that would match my group or not. We spent a long time sorting it out that it’s almost 11PM out there.

 

Staying up until 11PM is actually a normal schedule of mine, since we, trainees, need to practice a lot, especially if we made a mistake during the last evaluation. Actually, we’re not required to stay and practice until midnight, but it’s ourselves that choose to do that. But since there’s SooAh today in the building accompanying me, my members has also went home, and it’s already almost midnight, I thought that I should hurry up and finish picking out the song that my group has to do on the next evaluation.

 

“Actually, I’ve sorted out all of the songs that I have for our new members, and that new sorted out playlist is the one you’re looking at. As for the song that Bobby hyung, JinHwan hyung and I’ve chosen is divided into three songs. First is Far East Movement’s Rocketeer, Second is Ne-Yo’s single, and last is B.O.B’s Nothing on You. But we couldn’t decide on which song does we want to do next month,” I said as I try to hurrying on picking on the song.

 

“Oh! B.o.B’s Nothing on You is nice! You should really really do that song! It suits you guys so much, not to mention that the new kid’s voice might suit the song really well!” She said excitedly.

 

“Then should we do ‘Nothing on You’?” I said, smiling to her, agreeing on opinion.

 

“Yea! You should totally do it! I’ll be waiting for the result!” She said excitedly as she clasped her hand in excitement.

 

“Then I’ll send you our mid-month evaluation video?”

 

“Eyy, rather than sending me your mid-month evaluation video, can I meet Kim DongHyuk? Can I? Can I? Can I?” she asked excitedly.

 

Among all of the artists under YG Entertainment, FOODWAR has been always the friendliest, especially SooAh since they’re the maknae of company artists. Although that it has been almost three years since FOODWAR’s debut, they always visit the trainee’s basement at least once a week. Out of the seven members of FOODWAR, SooAh has been the friendliest among them. Every time there’s a new trainee, she would always ask me to introduce her to them and the new trainees would all be swoon by her in no time she introduce herself to them. I can still remember how friendly she is the first time we met, and how she also helped me during my first ever evaluation here.

 

September 12th, 2009

121-886 서울시 마포구 합정동 397-5 5층

Seoul, Mapo-gu, Hapjeong-dong, 397-5, YG Entertainment

04.15 PM

 

“So… Did Yang sajangnim told you already? About you will be living with us?” Asked SooAh as walked down towards the YG Cafeteria.

 

“Yang sajangnim didn’t told me, but Jiyong hyung told me already. So, I hope I won’t be a bother to you guys,” I said to her and WooChan as we both followed Jiyong hyung and their bandmates, ehem, my future housemate, to YG cafeteria.

 

“Geez, stop the formal talk! We’re friends now! After your first evaluation, you’ll practice with us until the next new trainee come, so you better get used to us!” WooChan who hit my shoulder jokingly.

 

“Ah, anyway, we haven’t been told when exactly you’re going to move in. You know, we have to tidy up your room and things like that too before you move in into our dorm,” SooAh said.

 

“Well, I think it would be after my evaluation day..”

 

“Evaluation day..?” SooAh asked as she then looked at me with slightly tilted head.

 

“Yeah, evaluation day”

 

“…. WHAT?!”

I flinched as I heard the shocking shouting by the twins, slightly covering my ears since they were both walking beside me.

 

“.. Yeah, my evaluation day. What’s wrong with it?” I asked.

 

“Aren’t you nervous about it?”

 

“Have you prepared anything for it?”

 

“When will it be held?”

 

“Since when sajangnim told yo-“

 

The question they were throwing to me wasn’t ending, and I’m already feeling a headache over it as they were both asking me non-stop with them both practically standing right next to me, and their shocked states made them talk louder, and it’s also starting to hurt my ears. Before I could feel my head ripping into two from the headache, I stopped them.

 

“Wait wait, stop it. I’m confused here, and I can’t remember all of the question you guys were throwing to me. What was you guys asking about again?”

 

“Well…” WooChan then looked at me with somewhat a little bit uneasy over the topic we’re talking about.

“First, do you know what the evaluation day is?” asked SooAh in attempt to continue what WooChan was going to say.

 

“Yeah, I know. It’s the day where your talent is being evaluated by Yang sajangnim, right?” I said with a little bit uneasiness, a little bit bothered by how WooChan is reacting on the word of ‘Evaluation Day’ itself.

 

“Yeah. It literally means that, and yeah, it is the only meaning of the evaluation day. But.. On that day, you’re being evaluated by Yang sajangnim himself, and truthfully, Yang sajangnim isn’t the best person out there during the evaluation. Out of the other trainer, vocal trainer, rap trainer, dance trainer, and the others who will be judging you, Yang sajangnim is the bluntest one out there. He doesn’t really care if his word hurt your pride or not, but what he says concerning his judging on your talent is quiet true. If he says that you’re bad at it, then you’re bad at it and you need to improve by the time of the next evaluation day; which is usually the end of the next month. If you’re don’t improve, then you’re out of the company,” explained SooAh.

 

“Well then.. I just have to improve, right?”

 

“Simply, yes, you only have to improve. But the thing is that, if you feel like you’ve improved, but sajangnim doesn’t feel like you’ve improved, then your one month hardwork is meaningless. So, not only that you have to improve, you have to make an unforgettable performance and show him a remarkable improvement by each time you’re having an evaluation day. So.. Basically, the evaluation day is a very important day…” said SooAh.

 

“So, you mean, it’s the end for me if I don’t appeal that much in his eyes?” I gulped, feeling nervous as I just realize that the fact that I’m having my first evaluation day might change my fate forever.

 

“… WHY ARE YOU PUTTING IT THAT WAY. What do you mean by ‘appeal’, it sounded kinda gross….” Said SooAh with a red face.

 

I blushed hard as I realize what I was saying to her. Well.. Note to myself; never use the word ‘Appeal’ when you’re talking something concerning an old man evaluating you. It kinda gross me out to think that I have to look ‘appealing’ in the wrong way for Yang sajangnim. Kinda feeling the creeps now.

 

“HAHA. Looking ‘appealing’ in front of Yang ahjussi! HAHAHA”

I shifted my eyes, and looked at WooChan; who is laughing hard over the wrong word I was using. My face became hotter, embarrassed from how WooChan is repeating the mistake that I did.

 

“Shoosh! WooChan, stop it!,” said SooAh as she slapped WooChan’s back jokingly. After getting hit, WooChan then complained a little bit, sulked, and walked with the others, leaving me and SooAh with just the two of us.

 

“Anyway, back to the topic.. Have you prepared anything for it?” asked SooAh again.

 

I sighed hard, remembering that I haven’t even chose a song to do in the evaluation day.

 

“Nope… Not at all. Yang sajangnim just told me earlier today and I only have one week to prepare, so I thought maybe I should do a cover,” I looked down, feeling uneasy.

 

“Well, if it’s one week to prepare maybe doing a cover would be the best. If you have a little more time, we might be able to work it out a little bit by making a song for you,” she said.

 

Hm? Making a song?

 

An idea popped out from me, and my hopes rises up as I came up with an idea. As I was thinking about my new plan for the evaluation day, I stopped walking unconsciously, and SooAh; who realize I wasn’t walking beside her anymore, then stopped walking and turned back as called for me.

 

“Hanbin, what are you doing there? Come on, let’s go to the cafeteria,” tugged the end of my shirt.

 

“Yeah. Okay,” I grinned, relieved that now I have found the perfect plan for the evaluation day.

 

 

September 12th, 2009

121-886 서울시 마포구 합정동 397-5 5층

Seoul, Mapo-gu, Hapjeong-dong, 397-5, YG Entertainment

06.23 PM

 

3rd Person’s PoV

 

“Ah.. It’s 6PM already,” Hanbin said as he looked at his watch.

“Hm.. Is it 6PM already? Whoa, time flies so fast!” said SooAh; who is still munching the dessert she just took from the cafeteria.

 

“Yeah.. Time does flies so fast. I never thought that I would spend my YG tour with only loitering your practice room and hogging the foods in the cafeteria,” Hanbin snorted as he picking on a slice of cake.

 

“Well, you gotta blame it on WooChan; who basically just can’t leave the cafeteria until he’s full, and it’s just that he never feel full. And geez, the cafeteria ahjumma is all spoiling him”

 

“Says the girl who’s on her third serving of cake. Yah, the ahjumma is also spoiling you. If you’re not their favorite, you won’t have a third cake serving anyway.”

 

“Geez, HanBin, you’re getting annoying now, how could you be so much comfortable with us with only spending about three hours with us.”

 

“Well, you were the one who said to just drop all of the formalities,” Hanbin grinned.

 

“OUCH!” Hanbin shouted, feeling the stinging pain on his cheek as SooAh pinched his cheek.

 

SooAh who’s still pinching HanBin’s cheek then said, “Getting cheeky aren’t you?”

 

As Hanbin rubbed his bruised cheek, he then said, “Haha.. Anyway.. I guess it’s time for me to go home. I did said that I wouldn’t go home later than 7PM..”

 

“It’s only 6PM though. Oh well, there’s nothing we can do if you have curfew for today,” said WooChan.

 

“Yeah.. I’m sorry hyung, sorry guys”

 

“No, it’s fine, we did have a great time with you today! We’ll be waiting for you moving in to our dorm!” said SooAh.

 

“Yeah.. And also, you can come to our practice room anytime, especially during the one week period you’ll be preparing for your evaluation day,” said MinKyo.

 

“You can ask us for help too! Here, let’s exchange contact, shall we?” said SooAh as she reached out her hand, giving Hanbin her phone.

 

Hanbin then smiled, exchanging his phone with her to exchange his number with her.

 

“Here, I’m putting my number under the name ‘Shin SooAh’, okay?” said SooAh as she gave Hanbin his phone back.

 

“My number is also under the name ‘Kim HanBin’, okay?”

 

“Hey hey! Let me exchange number with you too! Here, my phone!” said WooChan as he took HanBin’s phone from his palm and exchanged it with his phone.

 

“Yah yah WooChan, no need for the rush, okay?” said Jin.

 

After all of the kids exchanging number, Jiyong then stood up from his seat and then said,

“Okay then kids, let’s wrap up today and let’s go home, okay?”

 

The kids then agreed in unison and then stood up and left the cafeteria with Jiyong towards the practice room again to get their belongings before going back to their place.

 

After getting their belongings, they all stood in front of YG building and said goodbyes.

 

“We had fun today with you today, HanBin. Are you sure you don’t wanna go back with us? I mean, we can always drop you off to your house,” asked SooAh.

 

“Ah.. No, really, you shouldn’t. But thank you for the offer though,” said HanBin.

 

“Well then.. If you insist.. Anyway, hopefully, your evaluation can go smoothly without any problems. Remember, you can always ask us to help you! And be careful on your way home too!” said SooAh.

 

“Yeah, thank you guys, I had fun too today. I’ll contact you guys soon if I have problems with the preparation. Be careful on your way back!” said Hanbin as he wave his hand to the FOODWAR members who are entering their group van.

 

Hanbin was waiting in front of the YG building until the van disappeared of his sight. After seeing the FOODWAR van has went far from YG, he then turned back and bowed to Jiyong.

 

“Ah hyung, thank you for today. I really really enjoy it. I’m sorry that I have to go back quiet early. Anyway, thank you again for today. I should get home now, so pleased to meet you Jiyong-hyung,” said Hanbin.

Jiyong was smiling from seeing how Hanbin act. Then after bowing to Jiyong, Hanbin turned back to go home, but then he was stopped by Jiyong as he called his name.

 

“Wait, Hanbinnie! Where do you think you’re going?”

 

Hanbin tilted his head in confusion, “Uhm.. Home?”

 

 “You should come with me. I’m taking you home. I can’t let kids go home alone after them being my responsibility for a day, can I?” Jiyong grinned as he played around with his car keys.

 

HanBin then chuckled, and then followed Jiyong to his car.

 

September 14th, 2009

121-886 서울시 마포구 합정동 397-5 5층

Seoul, Mapo-gu, Hapjeong-dong, 397-5, YG Entertainment

05.25 PM

 

HanBin’s PoV

 

Well.. I never thought that I would be standing here in the near time. But, I only have nine days left, ten including today to be honest. And ten day isn’t exactly long either. If you spend time working hard then ten days is actually short. Since that I’ve got an idea what I’m going to do in the evaluation day, I’m coming here to get an opinion, and to get help for the other preparation too.

 

Yesterday night, I messaged the FOODWAR members if they could help me, and they said to just come to the practice room after school. So here I am, standing in front of YG building again.

 

Some worker in the YG building seems to have known me though I haven’t become the official trainee yet. But they let me inside of YG without asking my ID, so I guess somehow they must have known that I’ve been accepted by Yang sajangnim by himself in private. I sighed hard, feeling somehow uneasy from entering YG building by myself. But for the sake of evaluation day, I’ll go there.

 

As soon as I entered YG building, I headed out to the cafeteria since SooAh said that I can find them either loitering the cafeteria or in their practice room. But I couldn’t find someone familiar to me. Sure, there are some people there, but there isn’t anyone that I know. There is only some of the worker there and some trainees I think. Finding that there was no one in the cafeteria, I immediately went to FOODWAR’s practice room.

 

When I reached their practice room, it sounds like there’s no one in there. I peeked through the glass door and I couldn’t find anyone in the room. The room isn’t locked though, so I went inside the room and tried calling them,

 

“SooAh-yah? WooChan-ah? Minkyo hyung? Yoru hyung? Jin hyung? Dae hyung? TaeChan noona?”

 

The room was silent and now I’m sure that no one is in there. Then I went to the small recording room in their practice room, I peeked through the glass door again and I couldn’t find anyone, not even their bag. Just when I was about to head out, a pair of hands covered my eyes.

 

“Guess who!” said a cheerful voice.

 

“Well.. It’s kinda obvious that you’re a girl, and somehow I think Tae noona wouldn’t do something like this.. So… It’s must be SooAh” I said as I touched the hands that covered my eyes.

 

I pulled it down to uncover my eyes, and turned back, only to see that the one who was covering my eyes was..

 

WOOCHAN

 

“YOU FELL FOR IT” Woochan shouted as he then laughed so hard, rolling on the floor with his hand on his stomach.

 

I could see the other members laughing so hard too. All of the boys were rolling on the floor, laughing madly like Hyenas while the girls just stood there, without rolling on the floor, laughing well.. Not so softly, but not giggling like silly over feminine little girls.

 

I saw SooAh; who was still laughing over it, and she looked so happy over the prank that WooChan did to me. Seeing her laughing over it makes me blush hard, and I bet my face is a total red, just like a ripe apple. Now I’m embarrassed for mistaking WooChan for her, and I think I think of SooAh a little bit too much for a mere crush at first sight.

 

“You look so red, you should take a look at yourself!” said SooAh as she came to me, still laughing softly.

 

“Nah, I know just how red my face is since I could feel the heat on my cheeks.. Anyway, sorry for mistaking WooChan for you..” I said, rubbing the back of my neck, feeling flustered.

 

“It’s okay! People tend to mistook us a lot, and WooChan likes to prank people a lot. It’s his special talent, you know, imitating my voice? It’s a useless special talent, but people are always amused by his imitation. And we couldn’t blame how soft his hands are. It’s just soo unlike guys’ hands where usually guys’ hands are rough and big” she said while looking at her bandmates who were still laughing over the prank.

 

“Well.. We’re still kids, so after a while, after we become older, he might not be able to prank people anymore like that”

 

“I doubt that, since he still have more feminine traits than regular boys,” mocked SooAh. Thankfully, WooChan didn’t seem to hear that.

 

“Anyway,” she continued “, When did you arrive? Did you wait too long for us?”

 

“Nah, it wasn’t that long. I guess just around 15minutes?”

 

“Huft, then I’m glad we weren’t late”

 

“No, it’s fine, since I was the one who was asking for help,” I said.

 

We then chatted a little bit as we all sat down on the floor. It wasn’t long until we moved on to the topic of evaluation day again. And as soon as we reached that topic, the FOODWAR members divided on what they’re going to help me at.

 

“So, in the evaluation day, there would be vocal assessment, rap assessment, dance assessment and other than that, it’s mostly some special talent that you have, like impersonation or playing some musical instrument or other language. But the special talent assessment isn’t that important, it’s fine if you don’t have any special talent. Now for the three main assessment. First up is usually either vocal, or rap. Since YG is heavily influenced by western music, even more, influenced by Hip Hop music, being able to rap is a plus point. If you have swag, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter