Chapter 1

Precious

LEE JI EUN POV

*2 years ago*

It was summer and I was going on grocery shopping alone like I always do because my parents are always busy working and I rarely have any friends from my neighborhood. I was heading my way towards the tea section when a guy grabbed my hand.

He was taller than me by around 2 inches, he had messy brown hair and had a cute smile. He looked like he was around my age.

“Excuse me”, he said

“Umm”

“Can we please hold hands for a while? I just saw my ex-girlfriend walking in the store with her new boyfriend, so yeah.”

I nodded awkwardly and we intertwined our fingers. His hand was a little sweaty but our hands fit each other perfectly.

Only after a few minutes I realized that there was no one else in the store except for the workers and this elderly couple. He realized that I realized and walked away leaving me dumbfounded. He turned back and winked before walking out of the store.

 

*1 year ago*

I’m so pissed at my parents. They made me go to this stupid New Year party with them and left me alone. And the dress I was wearing was so tight I could hardly breathe.

There was a lot of teens around my age though, looking like they were enjoying themselves. I felt awkward and decided to just sit down at the sofa at the corner of the room. This is not how you’re supposed to celebrate your New Year’s Eve, I thought.

10 minutes passed and then 40, I scrolled my contact list for the third time but there’s no one I could talk to. I am such a loser. Right then, a guy sat beside me and handed me a glass of sparkling juice.

I looked up, and it’s him!

I remembered his face like it was yesterday.

“Hey”, he smiled. I knew he remembered me too.

“No friends?” “No friends”, I confirmed, “you?”

“Same, wanna dance?”

We joined the others dancing on the floor. We danced for a bit before the countdown for the New Year’s started.

He pulled my hand and led me to the veranda. All of us shouted the countdown together and it was quite fun.

5,4,3,2, 1.. He grabbed my waist and kissed me. And I kissed him back. We pulled back, everyone was going back inside and everyone was pushing each other.

After all the pushing, I realized I lost him.I don’t even know what his name is. 

“Damn it”, I muttered

I tried searching for him but I couldn’t find him anywhere. I received a call from my mom and she told me we were going back now so I headed outside of the building.