Lost

Just Meant to Be

“W-w-what is going on here? Just what the heck are you?”

Scratching his head, the young man shrugged in response. “Honestly… I don’t know.”

<>

Kyuhyun gaped as the young man nonchalantly pulled himself to his feet and out of the door.

“What do you mean? Who are you?” Kyuhyun managed to ask, but the young man just stared at him blankly.

“Really, if I knew then I would have told you. However, by the looks of it… I think I’m dead,” he said, glancing down at himself before experimentally ing his arm through the door again.

“No duh,” Kyuhyun retorted automatically, trying not to stare at the place where the arm went through the door.

“But, what’s weird is that I don’t remember anything from my life… my family, my friends… whether or not I had a lover…” Pausing, he turned to Kyuhyun with wide, pleading eyes. “Before I leave this world, do you mind helping me recover my memories? Please. No one else can see me… and it would mean a lot.”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to refuse; he had his own problems to deal with after all. Then he stopped. A thought ran through his mind, quick as a hare. Maybe if I help him… I’ll be able to get my mind off her. Well, it’s worth a shot. “Alright, I’ll help you. Besides, you’d probably haunt me to death if I said no.”

The ghost’s face lit up with joy and he ran towards Kyuhyun, about to hug the living daylights out of him. Then he remembered that he was not human and could not touch him; this thought stopped him in his tracks.

 Kyuhyun made his way back into the living room. Grabbing a notepad and pencil, he eased himself onto the sofa to begin his ‘interrogation.’

“How did you get here? What were you doing in my apartment?”

“Umm… It felt familiar here? I’m not too sure, sorry. I woke up somewhere around here a while ago and started to wander around, but then I realized that no one could see me so I became very anxious. Eventually since I didn’t know what to do I came back to the place where I first awoke and it felt very peaceful and I ended up on the balcony enjoying the view… Sorry…” He finished with a puzzled face, as if he couldn’t figure out how to continue.

Kyuhyun sighed and jotted this down. “Ok next. This should be an easy one. What’s your name?”

The ghost thought for a second before stuttering through an answer. “Uh… I think… my name is Jae- no that’s not it… um, oh! Yesung. Yup, my name’s Yesung.”

Kyuhyun scribbled the name onto the piece of paper. “Well, that took you a while.”

“YAH! I said that I forgot ok?” Yesung exclaimed with a pout.

Glancing at his face, Kyuhyun began to laugh uncontrollably, “HAHA! You look like a fish!”

“I do not! Wait… fish… I think I remember something about fish,” Yesung said, his face lighting up.

“What, were you a fisherman or a merman when you were alive?” Kyuhyun jested and immediately received a glare from Yesung.

“No I was not. I’m pretty sure about that. But I think one of my friends was called fish… or something along those lines.”

“That’s a weird name to have. But ok... anything else?” he asked.

One word surfaced in Yesung’s mind. “Turtles.”

“What is with you and sea creatures?” Kyuhyun’s tone was exasperatedly amused.

“I don’t know! But I feel like turtles are something important.”

Yesung paused. Kyuhyun wrote “turtles” down and underlined it twice. Yesung appeared to be deep in thought so Kyuhyun began to sketch a turtle, giving up when it began to resemble nothing more than a balloon with forks attached.

“Anymore Yesung?”

Yesung shook his head slowly. “No…”

Kyuhyun sighed and placed his pencil gently down onto the table.

“Let me get this straight, all the leads that I have to help you are your name, fishes and turtles. How helpful,” Kyuhyun said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Hey! I don’t remember!” Yesung snapped back.

“Alright, alright chill! Let’s just sleep on this one. Here, I’ll make some space on the couch for you.”

“Wait… I don’t need sleep. Um… also… I didn’t catch your name.”

Kyuhyun looked at Yesung, confused. “Oh. Right. I forgot. I’m Kyuhyun. Please take care of me. Um, I’m going to sleep then. Good night!” With that he dashed off towards his room, closing the door behind him.

Slightly stunned by the lightning quick introduction Yesung stood immobile and alone in the room. As the moon rose bright in the night sky he stared down at his small hands. Sticking his hand through the glass door for the third time that day, he murmured to himself quietly, “This is really happening. I’m really dead.”

<>

It was almost midnight. Yesung was wandering around Kyuhyun’s apartment, going though wall after wall with nothing to do.

“I’M SO BORED! I want something to do,” Yesung whined. It seemed to him like he had been walking in circles for ages. Going through a wall for the thousandth time, Yesung found himself in front of Kyuhyun’s bed. Asleep, Kyuhyun seemed so peaceful and calm. Feeling awkward, Yesung was about to exit through another wall when Kyuhyun began to toss and turn.

“No… don’t leave… I… loved… you. DON’T GO!” Jumbled, incoherent phrases poured from Kyuhyun’s mouth. Yesung froze in surprise before realizing that Kyuhyun was still asleep. Taking a closer look, he saw that Kyuhyun was sweating bullets, soaking the sheets twisted around him. Worried, Yesung tried reach out to him but then stopped abruptly. I’m dead… I can’t touch him.

Yesung paced frantically around the room. Should he try to wake Kyuhyun? Coming up with an idea, he crouched near Kyuhyun and began to hum a soft melody. Eventually Kyuhyun’s labored breathing slowed, regaining the deep and even pace of sleep. I hope his nightmare is gone… Yesung thought to himself. Suddenly, he was distracted by the sight of Kyuhyun’s philtrum. So vulnerable… 

“Why am I staring at that?” Yesung asked himself quietly, his hands twitching. Without thinking, he raised a finger to Kyuhyun’s philtrum, about to it. Realizing this, he quickly pulled his hand back.

“WHAT THE…? Why do I feel like his philtrum?” Yesung shouted, disconcerted. His shout jolted Kyuhyun from his bed to the floor, a rude awakening. Immediately Yesung covered his mouth with his hands to keep from yelling anything else.

“YAH, WHAT WAS THAT FOR?” Kyuhyun demanded as he sat up stiffly, his back in pain.

“S-sorry Kyuhyun… it’s just that my hands have this weird urge to go pet your philtrum,” Yesung muttered, looking profoundly embarrassed.

Kyuhyun laughed and he stood up and sat back down on the bed. “That’s funny.”

“Why?” Yesung asked as he sat down next to him, still a bit flustered.

“I mean… maybe it’s a habit that you had. Your body retains muscle memory so maybe even though you are a ghost it is the same thing and that’s why.”

“I must have been one weird person…” Yesung said with a surprised expression.

“You’re still weird Yesung. Even if I met you only a few hours ago, you give off this weird vibe.”

“HEY!”

“I was just kidding! Geez, you take things way too seriously,” he said smirking.

However, Yesung soon treaded over towards the window looking out to the city. “Anyway, you sure seem to know a lot about that Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun nodded as he slipped back into his bed.

“Yeah… well, my friend Ryeowook is becoming a therapist so he rants to me about these things.” Kyuhyun explained as he settled into a comfortable sleeping position. “Now, if you’ll excuse me… I have some Z’s to catch… it’s almost one.”

“Sorry for waking you up…” Yesung said guiltily.

“Whatever, it’s fine.” And within a minute, Kyuhyun was out.

After staring at the sleeping figure, Yesung turned around and decided to leave through the wall. From outside he could hear the same rustling and grumbling of words coming through the door. Another nightmare? I seriously hope he’s okay. Maybe I’ll ask him tomorrow. Feeling bored once more, Yesung drifted to the roof of the apartment building, watching the city lights, waiting for the sun to rise and a new day to come.