Prologue: It Starts Now

Just Meant to Be

Staring at himself in the mirror, Jongwoon wanted to make sure that everything was perfect. After ruffling his hair a little and straightening his tie, he quickly grabbed his coat and took one last glimpse at himself. I hope I get to meet my destined one today, he thought, smiling slightly. A sudden shout interrupted his thoughts

“Yah, rabid dog! You’re going to be late if you keep up this turtle pace!” his brother Heechul yelled as he paced around the hallway, his eyes focused intently on the wall clock. It was already 7:25 pm…

Running out of his bedroom, Jongwoon looked up at his brother, “Ddangkoma is quite insulted. Turtles aren’t that slow you know.”

Heechul just rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Yeah, and I have a six pack like my friend Siwon. Now get going. You only have five minutes. Shoo. Scram. I have my own date,” he said as literally shoved Jongwoon out the door.

“Okay, okay! I get it, bye hyung!”

 Heechul nodded as he bid his brother goodbye.

 Closing the door, Jongwoon touched the gold inlaid apartment number 413 once for luck before racing down the stairs to the garage parking lot below.

Soon, he was out on the streets, humming happily as he drove towards the restaurant where he would meet his date for dinner. “I can’t wait!” he exclaimed to himself, “I really hope that that dating site worked. He seemed so nice and friendly…” He pondered, trying to imagine what his date would look like and wondering if his personality would be different from how he seemed on the dating site. Lost in thought, he reached a busy intersection.  Barely noting the light change from red to green, he was speeding up when the collision came.

The other car was driving approximately 10 miles above the speed limit when it hit Jongwoon’s, probably trying to get past the light before traffic started going through the other way. Unfortunately, Jongwoon had sped up as well and the result was a perfectly perpendicular crash.

Jongwoon felt a sharp pain as his head hit the window with enough force to crack it and his body jerked hard against the seatbelt. The sounds of glass breaking filled the air and smoke poured from the front of his vehicle, which now resembled nothing so much as a crushed tin can. With hazy eyes, Jongwoon vaguely registered the silhouettes of people. Someone appeared in the opening of the window, shouting at him to hold on, and that help was coming. But it hurt and the darkness was coming. Between the waves of pain, it enveloped Jongwoon and he was gone.