Prolog

가을 남자 (Autumn Man)

Busan, October 15th, 2009

 

“Leo!!! No!!! Please!!!”

Leo just gave his cold back and walked into his black Porsche. Pretended that he didn’t hear anything. But a feckless groan of a young girl shoveled into his ears. He steps stopped on a crumbly tiny little tree branch, and loosened a hum throughout his throat. “Mwoya?” (What?)

Yoon Mi ran her shaky cold hands on Leo’s steady feet, and squeezed his maroon leather ankle boots. “Jebal, n-nal tteo najima…” (Please, d’don’t leave me…) A small crystal tears formed on her pale cheeks. She would do anything he wants, but not things like this. Leaving a 16 years old girl in a cold rainy night alone, who was surviving with the strong autumn wind without any coat.

Leo slightly gazed a little pair of hands on his feet then shook his feet, removed those cold hands away. A cold expression that he always put up now started to form a light carved line on his lips. “Sorry.”

“Leo!!!”

The smoke from his Porsche blew away the raindrops at the tip of his car. Yoon Mi squeezed her body with her arms, fighting with the killing wind which blew her to the bones.

“Anyone, please help me. Please…”

Yoon Mi started to feel some of her body parts went rigid. That black circumstance around her became a blurry grey one. The beats inside her were getting slower. And she closed her eyes.

 

***

 

He reached the soaked plaid shirt sleeve of a girl that he found on the little alley. His small petroleum lamp didn’t help him to identify who was she or maybe what was it. But it told that it was a girl and she was dying of cold.

He took a cloth and wiped the raindrops all over that cold body. Then he took one of a shirt that he had on the wardrobe and put it on the body. He covered that body with the thickest and the warmest blanket he had. Hoped it would decrease the cold on that body.

Who was this girl?

Why did she was here?

Would her be alright?

He turned his focus on the pot with a boiling porridge in it. He took a deep breath and continued to stir the porridge.

 

***

 

He smiled to the girl. She started to move her tiny hands a little, grabbing the tip of the thick blanket. He quickly helped the girl to lean on his old comfy bed, which was released a groan from her shaky voice and went up to take the porridge that he had prepared when that girl woke up.

He came back with a tray of a bowl of warm porridge and a mug of a warm honey tea. He sat by the side of the bed, and put the tray on his lap. But that girl quickly took the bowl away and ate the porridge greedily while that boy was just smiling and studying things that featured on that girl’s face.

She had a pair of black and sharp eyes. Her long tangled dark brown hair covered a half part of her pretty face, but it didn’t hide of any charms that she had. Her pale cheeks slowly were getting reddened. He handed her the mug and soon got a cute gaze and some blinks from that girl. He patted that girl’s head while she was drinking the honey tea. She ate up the food and drink that was served.

That boy smiled, gathered the bowl, spoon and the mug back to the tray. That girl was just paid attention to all of what he did, his gestures and face. Who is he?

Jeogiyo…” (Excuse me…) Yoon Mi grabbed the tip of the thick coat of that boy who was gathering the stuffs. “Neon nuguingayo?” (Who are you?)

That boy looked into her eyes, stared her with his clear black eyes. A light curve carved on his thick lips. He took something on the small table beside the bed and wrote something, then gave it to her.

 

‘I’m Jung Dae Hyun, just call me Dae Hyun. You’re sick. Take a pretty well rest. Good night.’

 

He stood up, walked to the door and turned the knob by his right hand. Slowly his back was hid by the night’s darkness.

Yoon Mi leaned her back onto the bed again.

‘So, his name is Dae Hyun. But, who is- oh no, it should be what is him? An angel? Am I already dead?’ Thousands thoughts crawled in her mind. But the warmth of the blanket and the bed were driving her way too comfortable and led her into a deep, a far away dreamland.