The Basement

A Love Triangle Among the Undead {discontinued}

  ​

It all started on a Monday. If you thought regular Mondays , then you’re probably correct, but this particular Monday was literally the worst Monday ever. It was the day the living dead walked the streets bringing terror and many deaths. This Monday hell itself seemed to rise.

 

“AHHHH!”

 

“RUN!”

 

“FORGET ABOUT HER!”

 

“IT’S TOO LATE!”

 

“HURRY!” Shrieks, screams, and shouts were all that could be heard as the rotten corpses ate us all alive. I was in there too, except instead of screaming and running away I was in my basement. Alone. Where are mom and dad? Where’s little Soyeon? And Taehyun oppa? What is going to happen to me?, were all questions that dart through my mind as my shaking hands search around in the darkness. Grabbing the T.V remote, I switch the flat screen to the news station.

 

“THIS IS NOT A DRILL. PEOPLE OF SEOUL, A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK HAS BEGUN, I REPEAT, A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK HAS BEGUN. IF ANYONE IS WATCHING, GET FOOD, WATER, AND MEDICINE. GATHER YOUR RESOURCES, AND DON’T FORG-" The announcer was cut off when a rogue zombie stumbled into the studio.

 

“KILL IT! STAB IT IN THE BRAIN!” a voice called from behind the camera. But the announcer was frozen in place because of fear. It was already too late. Everybody had run out screaming. The camera was lying on the ground still recording. All that could be heard now were his screams of terror. What am I gonna do? I can’t just stay here doing nothing while half the world is going to die, I thought as I shut off the T.V because I couldn’t take the horror. I layed down on the couch and after thinking about the horrible things that could be happening to my family and friends I soon could feel hot tears stain the cushion my head rest upon. As I fell asleep I thought of better times. Times when I could wake up in my soft bed to the smell of my parent’s supreme breakfast as they called it, times where I would tease my little shrimp of a sister Soyeon about liking a boy in her class, times where I would scream at my oppa Taehyun about stealing the last ice cream scoop, times where my family and I were safe and together.

 

Instead, I woke up to an empty stomach and a strong headache. I knew I had to get food somehow or I would end up starving to death in a murky basement.

 

I carefully opened the door to the kitchen an inch. It squeaked softly. I quieted down my breathing and tried to listen for grunts and groans from the undead. As I opened the door a bit wider I heard slow footsteps heading my way. , I thought as I swiftly shut the door. I then realised that I didn’t have a weapon. Cursing again, I looked around the basement in search for a blunt object or axe. I couldn’t see in the dark, muskiness of the old basement, but I knew I had to find something- and fast.

 

I searched around for a good few minutes and found a small flashlight and a pitifully dull pocket knife. I put my ear against the door once more and could hear hushed whispers.

 

“Do you think anyone’s in here?” a voice whispered.

 

“Of course not! Listen,” there was a short pause as the two people, I presumed as men, listened for unusual sounds. “See? Not a soul.” Another pause, but this one was slightly longer.

 

“Okay…” the other male replied. The footsteps seemed to separate, one seeming subtly farther than the other. It was when the door I was pressed up against opened and I was on top of another human being that I realised that one of them was getting closer and closer to me.

 

I opened my mouth to scream, but the male had covered my mouth with his hand.

 

“O-okay, we didn’t know you were here, p-please do not scream.” he stuttered quietly. I nodded my head and he slowly released his hand from my mouth. As soon as he did I opened my mouth to scream for help again. This time he didn’t cover my mouth. I would have stabbed the guy too, but I heard someone else coming

 

“! Sehun, what the was that?” the other male came running into the kitchen and once he saw me he cursed again. “Okay, grab food, water, and meds and get down there!” he pointed to the door leading to the basement while searching around my kitchen.

 

“What? Why?” I was beyond confused at this point.

 

“I dunno, probably because you just caught the attention of every zombie in the ing neighborhood and we could get locked in, smart one.” he replied sarcastically as he continued his search. “Sehun” was also helping him.

 

“Canned food is in the third cabinet and meds are in the bathroom to your left, I’ll get our emergency water supply.” I finally spoke after a bit of watching them fumble with draws awkwardly. I ran to the pantry and found the three jugs of water we kept and ran back over to the basement to put them in. When I got there the two boys were already there with all our canned food and a box of different pills, first aid kits, and rubbing alcohol. I didn’t have to be reminded to lock the basement because I could hear the low grunts of the zombies.

 

“...What are you guys doing here?” I asked, breaking the silence.

 

The tanner boy sighed, “Trying to scavenge supplies, I guess. By the way you knew where everything was, I assume that you live here?” I nodded my head.

 

“Do you have a family?” Sehun finally spoke.

I hesitated, “Well, yesterday, when the zombies broke out, I woke up a bit later than everyone else and I assume they left me behind. I’m not going to be mad or anything, I just hope they’re safe.” I tried my best to hold back the tears that were about to spill. “I really hope my little sister, Soyeon, is okay.” I said in a shaky breath.

 

“Ah! You’ve never told us your name.” the tanner one exclaimed suddenly.

 

“O-oh, my name is Kwon Eun Ae.”

 

“I’m Kim Jongin, and that pale, wimp over there is Oh Sehun. I was sleeping over at his house when this all went down. I really wish for my family to be okay too.” tan guy explained.

 

“I’m not a wimp!’ Sehun exclaimed.

 

“You kind of are. You can’t even handle a little bit of blood!”

 

“Shut up! You had to go to the bathroom with your mom in the women’s restroom until you were 12!”

 

“I thought we weren’t gonna talk about that anymore!”

 

“Yeah, bu-” Sehun and Jongin stopped bickering once they heard the loud rumbles and groans from outside of the door.

 

“Are we just gonna stay down here until we run out of resources or what? We gotta get out there and fight!” I half yelled half whispered.

 

“Are you ing insane? We can’t just go out there all willy-nilly. Just wait it out for about a day and the zombies will be gone by morning.” Jongin explained while opening a bag of pretzels and making himself at home.

 

“I really have to spend a whole night with you guys? I don’t even know you two! YOU GUYS COULD ME!”

 

“Babe, if we wanted to you, we already would have by now.” I looked at him with disgust and horror, but he just shrugged his remark off and snacked on more pretzels. I looked away from him and my eyes landed on that Sehun guy on the red loveseat.

 

He ran his hand through his (obviously dyed) blond hair and sighed. He looked extremely distressed. Now that I thought about it, Jongin was being a little too casual. Why wasn’t he scared out of his wits and looking for his family? Why wasn’t I? Oh, wait, because there are millions of dead corpses just roaming around the country. I wanted to cry again, but I didn’t want these two nitwits to think I was some prissy girl or something so I tried to keep it in. Jongin probably noticed how sad and depressed I looked because he gave me a smirk that said something along the lines of, “She’s just a scared little girl after all.” and I hated it. So much that I threw the hardest pillow within my reach that I could find at this face. That sure wiped his stupid smirk off.