Chapter 1

It Was You

It was a cold december, probably the coldest it has been in years. You stood alone in the school yard while all the other kids played together building snowmen or having snowball fights. You sighed to yourself.

'Why can't I be cool like them...' you thought to yourself.

You were in the 2nd grade in elementary school. You were pretty much a loner with no friends.

You laid in the snow and made yourself a snow angel, you couldn't build a snowman alone it just wouldn't feel right. Unlike all the other kids you went to school with you loved to be out in the snow for long periods of time, you wouldn't even get cold. As you sat there alone you looked at the snow, you imagined a snowman and all of a sudden one had appeared in front of you out of the snow. You jumped back not knowing what had just happened.

You kicked it down and stared at the pile of snow. You looked around to see if anyone was watching, no one was, and you pointed to it. You did a little wave of your finger and the snowman was recreated again. You blinked in surprise and held your hands out in front of you.

'D-Did I just.... Am i-'

You decided that this was most likely just coincidence. But against your better judgement you wanted to test this theory further. You decided to try something that you seen characters do in the cartoons and tried to create an orb of some sort. Not long after you put your mind to it a glowing icy blue orb appeared between your palms. You decided to flick it at the  ground to see what it would do. From the spot the orb hit a big icicle had emerged. 

You gasped and touched it to see if it was real. It was.  You looked around and was thankful that no one really paid attention to you. 

"Come inside class!" Your teacher called pulling your attention away from what you had just discovered. 

You quickly ran into the classroom so no one would see what you had done. You were shocked, scared, and amazed all at the same time. You sat at your desk towards the back of the classroom at a desk all by yourself. As the teacher began to speak you could not pay attention. You just stared at your hands in your lap the whole time. 

"Sunmi?" Your teacher called.

You were so engulfed in your own thoughts that you didn't even hear her call your name. 

"Sunmi? Are you paying attention?" The teacher called again this time approaching your desk.

Still you didn't answer.

"Sunmi."

You jumped at the booming voice and placed your hands together, a ball of coldness forming in your hands. You were scared the teacher would find out about your powers. 

"Sunmi, what is in your hands?"

"N-Nothing..."

"Show me."

"I-I don't have anything."

"Then open your hands."

You shook your head and looked down.

"I will have to call your parents if you don't listen."

Even more terrified about what your parents would think you opened your hands. The small orb that had formed in your hands shot up to the ceiling of the classroom and snow started to fall all over the classroom, the class gasped as well as the teacher. All were shocked by what happened. 

"I-I... It was an accident I didn't mean for this to happen~" you said standing up and backing away from the icicle. 

"Sunmi?" The teacher stepped closer. 

"Don't come closer!" You screamed out in surprise and another jolt of coldness flew from your hands making an icicle on the ground. 

The teacher quickly cleared everyone out of the classroom and made a call to your parents. You were terrified about what was going to happen and made a little snow cave in the corner of the classroom to hide in. 

Your parents arrived as fast as they could and stepped into the classroom. 

"Sunmi-ah~" 

You could hear your mothers soft gentle voice. You hid further into your barrier of protection.

"Don't worry sweetie, we're not mad."

You blinked as you listened to the words of your mother. 

"Please come out and we'll take you home."

With that you uncovered yourself and looked around to see where your mother was. You saw her standing at the door, you instantly ran to her and hugged her tightly.

"Eomma~ I-I... What's wrong with me?" you started to cry.

She hugged you close and told you everything was going to be alright. You nodded and followed her to the car. The school buzzed with gossip about what had happened. There was mention of some monster that made giant icicles appear. There was also the other stories of how this person must have been straight out of the Avatar: Last Airbender Cartoon. 

___

After about a 20 minute drive you and your mother arrived at home. She quickly took you up to your room and sat you on your bed. She knew you had so many questions about what was happening. So she explained to you. She told you how you were born with this wonderful gift and was able to make it snow or control ice and snow. She also told you that this extreme gift also had given you those icy sapphire blue eyes. But the biggest thing that hit you out of this whole conversation was the fact that they found you sitting on their doorstep in a basket. You were completely shocked about everything and did not know it was possible for anything like this to happen. You weren't even sure if you were the only one that had powers or if there were others like you out there.

Your mother had left you to sit in your room while she had a talk with your father, you could hear their voices through the walls.

"What happened?"

"She finally discovered her powers today..."

"I know that but what happened?"

"She made it snow in the classroom and icicles appeared from the floors and ceiling."

"I knew this would happen. I told you we shouldn't have put her in school."

"She needed to have a social life and learn!"

"SHE NEEDED TO BE KEPT A SECRET AND BE HOME-SCHOOLED!" 

You jumped at the sudden booming voice of your father. You curled up and hugged your knees as you sat there on the bed. You knew they were arguing over what happened in school. You looked around the room and thought about what would make you feel better in that moment. 

Snow.

You smiled and just as you did in the class room, you formed a little small orb, then motioned  it up to the ceiling which caused light snow to fall down. You watched the unique snowflakes fall from the ceiling, it comforted you a little and made you feel a bit better. You walked over to your window and opened it to let some cold air inside as well. You smiled as the frost bitten air hit your face.

"We must never let anyone know of her powers. She should stay inside and never leave the house. Never to be seen by the public. Maybe she can control her powers this way..."

You heard your father's words through the walls.

 'She should stay inside and never leave the house...' Those words ran through your mind.

You slumped to the floor by your window and felt tears stream down. If you could never go outside, it meant you could never make any friends now. You knew you were definitely not normal and maybe even a monster.