[1/1]

His Question to all Answers

  One . Two .

  For the very first time in his life of 22 boring years, Baekhyun is having a hard time conducting the movements of the paintbrush in his hands.

  “Yixing.”

  His best friend’s face pops out from behind Baekhyun’s canvas. “Yeah?”

  “I can’t do this.”

  Yixing’s face disappears, but a second later he stands up from his stool, as the backs of their painting stools were put together, and walks over to stand by his side. Baekhyun thinks Yixing looks really good in his casual outfit: A T-shirt saying ‘Unicorns EXIST I tell you’, a paint-stained apron over his denim jeans, boots, and his light brown hair messy but in a handsome way which matches his warm smile and dimples. He thinks he looks so… natural.

  “Okay,” Yixing says, wiping his hands on his apron and studying the painting in front of him. “You drew… the outlines of an ear?”

  “A nose,” Baekhyun corrects him. “It’s an unfinished nose.”

  “Of the person who captures your whole attention whenever they appear, right? Like how the teacher assigned this project?”

  He nods. “Who are you drawing, Yixing?”

  “My mom.”

  Baekhyun gives him a look. “Your mom.”

  “Yeah.” Yixing’s dimples appear again. “I love my mom the best; she shines in my eyes. Who are you trying to paint, Baek?”

  Baekhyun stares at the unfinished nose, frowning. “I’m not sure.”

 

 

 

 

 

  The vending machine outside Baekhyun’s dorm seems to be out of order.

  “Oh, come on!” He kicks it in frustration. “I need my coffee before class!”

  The machine doesn’t even grumble.

  “Screw it,” he curses with a last shove. “Screw coffee, screw morning classes, screw college, screw even trying to paint Ki – “

  Suddenly, a thud erupts in the machine, and then his can of coffee rolls out the slot. He blinks.

  “So,” a voice full of amusement says behind him, “a kick and a shove can do to fix this vending machine? I’ll keep that in mind.”

  Baekhyun freezes, recognizing the voice. It’s the same voice that seems to drip honey, the same voice that he has been hearing in his dreams ever since he bumped into him at the cafeteria last week, the voice that belongs to –

  He doesn’t turn around when he hears the shuffle of footsteps approach him. A hand, tanner than his, reaches out to take the can of coffee from the slot, and hands it to him. “Hey,” the rich-voice boy continues. “Your coffee.”

  Baekhyun finally musters up his courage to lift his head, and immediately finds himself staring into a pair of smoldering, mesmerizing brown pools, stealing his breath. A smile appears on the boy’s face, his sharp jawlines winking at him. Baekhyun snatches the can from him in a quick movement and looks everywhere but the boy’s face.

  “It’s Kim Jongin. And you’re welcome.”

  Usually, Baekhyun would snort into the faces of people who seem so… witty, like his other best friend, Oh Sehun. But the only thing that happens is the leap of his heart because how the boy says his name is just so beautiful.

  “B-Byun Baekhyun.” He hides his shaking hands.

  Jongin flashes another smile at Baekhyun, before giving the vending machine a pat and walking away. “Hope you have a nice morning, Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

  Tik. Tok. Tik. Tok. Tik –

  A frown finds its way onto Baekhyun’s face. He has been counting down the seconds of how much longer until the bell rings, indicating the end of the class he hates the most – Literature, but when he’s on the number one hundred and eighty-four, the clock’s hand stops moving. In desperation and unbelief, he suppresses the urge to groan out loud. He also needs to go to the restroom, immediately.

  “Psst.”

  Great. Now he’s even hallucinating and hearing the melodic sound of freeing his bladder of its uncomfortable pressure.

  “Hey. Wonder Legs.”

  Baekhyun lifts his head up from his hands. That was surely not a hallucination. Nobody hears voices that sounds just as rich as Kim Jongin’s calling him ‘Wonder Legs’, right? He widens his eyes to see if he can spot Kim Jongin in his peripheral vision and fails, but another ‘Psst’ causes him to spin around in his chair.

  And almost fall out of it.

  A silent laugh colors Jongin’s face, and Baekhyun thinks he’s seeing rainbows. “Turn around, Baekhyun, or the professor would see you’re not paying attention!” Jongin whisper-laughs.

  Without any hesitation whatsoever, Baekhyun obeys. He doesn’t know why he does, and he most definitely doesn’t know why a sudden heat is blooming in the pit of his stomach when the thought ‘Kim Jongin is sitting right behind me’ sinks into his brain and causes a mini (gigantic) chaos in there. He’s still trying to make the pace of his breathing and heartbeat get back on their regular track when the bell rings, and in a cluster of movements, he grabs his books and backpack and dashes out the door.

  Relieving his hollering bladder feels so good to Baekhyun, and after washing his hands and splashing some water onto his face, he stares at his reflection in the mirror and has that feeling that he can take down anything in the world again –

  Until he sees Kim Jongin leaning casually on the wall outside the exit of the men’s room, looking so perfect like he’s just walked out of a fashion magazine.

  Baekhyun lets out a small squeak and flees back into the restroom, his arms wide and palms on the wall next to the sinks, but not before Jongin sees him. “Oh my god,” Baekhyun gasps, his back to the cold wall. “Dear lord, why – “

  “Baekhyun?” A face appears inches in front of him, causing him to shriek in a very feminine way – right in Jongin’s face. Jongin blinks, taking in the other male’s wide eyes and eagle-spread posture, and chuckles before taking two steps back. “Are you alright?” He asks. “I saw you run back in here and… are you hiding from someone?”

  YOU, Baekhyun wants to screech, but instead, he coughs out an awkward "H-how?"

  “How do I know you’re in here?” Jongin chuckles again, his melodious voice echoing around. “You were squirming really bad in class, so I guessed. Are you sure you’re fine? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

  Baekhyun decides to play it cool, even though his legs are feeling wobbly because Holy Mother of Jesus Kim Jongin looks like an angel this close. “I-I’m fine. Why were you outside?”

  “Waiting for you.”

  Startled by his bluntness, he tries to suppress the unwanted blush creeping up his neck. “Why would you wait for… me?”

  “Because I want to talk to you.”

  “T-there’s nothing for us to talk about.”

  Jongin chuckles. “I doubt that.”

  “Why did you call me ‘Wonder Legs’?”

  “The vending machine revived after receiving a kick from you.”

  “Why did you call me in class? When have you ever been in the same class as I? Why are you talking to me? How – “

  “Man, you are a bucket full of questions,” Jongin laughs. “I was observing you in class, okay, because when I’m bored, I observe interesting things. It’s just a habit of mine. And I only transferred to Mr. Wu’s Literature class today. And…” he tilts his head, “I’m talking to you because I want to. Is that not okay with you?”

  So many thoughts swarm in Baekhyun’s little mind, threatening to make it explode from the inside. Are you insane? Of course it’s not okay! Do you know you make me feel so weird when you’re around? Do you know how the air around me feels so little and my breathing seems so big when you’re looking at me?

  Do you know you just called me ‘interesting’?

  Do you know that you’re the question to all my answers?

  The bell for the next class rings, but both of them don’t move. Baekhyun is still gaping at Jongin, and Jongin still has his hands in his pockets, his nose inches away from Baekhyun’s, watching him with amusement glittering in his eyes. Baekhyun wants to be freed from this position, but at the same time he doesn’t want either of them to move. He’s in the state where one tiny move can lead to heaven or destruction, but all he can think of is damn why is Jongin so dashingly handsome.

  But then someone barges into the restroom, and before Baekhyun can conjure up a rifle and shoot it at that person, he realizes it’s Yixing.

  “Baek! I thought you had diarrhea again!” Yixing exclaims, oblivious to the position the two boys are in.

  Baekhyun stares at him in shock, but then Jongin leans up straight in a quite casual manner and says with a small smile, “Hey, Yixing.”

  Yixing blinks, finally noticing him. “Jongin!” He looks genuinely surprised. “It’s so… weird, seeing you at school rather than the dancing center.” He flashes his dimples.

  Jongin nods a friendly nod. “It seems I should be going,” he then says, turning back to wink at a confused and wide-eyed-like-a-choking-frog Baekhyun, who had been looking at Yixing and Jongin back and forth as if watching a tennis match. “Wouldn’t want to miss a lesson on fixing machines.”

  An image of Jongin kicking vending machines and still looking as fab as ever instantly pops up in Baekhyun’s mind, and he’s not sure if he wants to cry or laugh.

  Jongin walks to the door and gives him one last smile before walking out. “See you soon, Wonder Legs.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

  As Baekhyun and Yixing enter the classroom for Art class and set up their stands, silently thanking God that the teacher hasn’t arrived yet, Yixing asks, “Baek? You still not sure who you’re gonna paint?”

  Firmly, Baekhyun shakes his head because oh no, he has exactly in mind who he’s about to paint.

 


[Author's spam note] /inhales deeply/ I just... wow. My first ever. Given to Kaibaek. Actually this isn't my only drabble of them but it's the first one I've posted, and I was contemplating whether to post it in my oneshots or put it as a new one, and then I thought that since it's my first ever, I should make it as an independant one like giving it a memorial or something LOOOL.

BUT STILL OMG WORGM3OIVGOECNRGEORGBORNOWRIGNWROJNGOWRNGOWRINBOWRNBOWRNUWOHMCWUCEHMFOWIJ I'm sorry if it's too short though...

I'm not sure if this means I'm officially back from my hiatus yet, because I've been having and writing small pieces of four totally different ideas that have been in my head ever since I finished Stargazer (AND OMG I CAN'T BELEIVE IT HAS ALMOST 100 SUBS YOU GUYS ARE LEGIT I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH) AND I might put up a small love story before my other new action one(s) OTL. But it's all a maybe. Not writing for two months really can make my writing not as good as before omg. And school's sarting again soon /le cries/

ANYWAY, if you've just read all my ranting down to this, I sincerely THANK YOU, and also for supporting me and reading this KaiBaek oneshot!!! It's really impossible to hate this shining-with-love couple!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING, SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING!!!