Closer

Closer

1) She cries like there's no tomorrow, tears of agony and heartbreak cut the bleeding heart open with a fine swift. To see her best friend smiles sadly for the last time, with an unspoken confession and invisible heartache, causes her to feel nothing but regrets and a wish for redemption.


"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she chants in between her sobs, but both of them know that it is a bit too late. Soon there will be no them, only two old friends with one soul and a fading memory, walking on countless paths that lead to different possibilities and chances in the near future.


2) "I feel like counting stars," her best friend recites, a pair of outstretched hands pretend to cup the constellation in the black void up there. The white that her breaths make dissolve into thin air. "One in a million shines brighter than the other, don't you remember?"


"But I have two," she whispers inaudibly. Traces of a faint smile can be seen beside her.


"For me, there's this star, the brightest of all. In the entire universe, through the sky. Forever is this promise."


"How does it feel to keep trying to catch the shooting star, when you know that it will never be in your grasp?"


"It doesn't really matter," comes the reply with a comforting warmth. "It's the effort that counts."


3) "So, same time next week?"


Those simple words start to sink in her mind, and before she knows it hopes and excitement slowly seep in her beating heart.


"Okay," she doesn't stop smiling. "I'll be waiting."


4) "So how did it go?" A smile greets her as soon as she steps into the dim light of the room.


"Well I--" And then she stops abruptly. Her friend studies her expression, but at this very moment, she doubts anyone can see through her facade. It doesn't hurt to play for a little longer, does it?


"It was fun," she cracks a smile. She tries, and fails miserably, at ignoring the way her best friend stops grinning. "We talked about many things, you know, we both like music and stories and journeys--"


The silence stops ringing four days after their last conversation.


5) There is this recurring nightmare where places and images and present are pitch black, trapped between the gray line of reality. She quickly learns that the nightmare doesn't really matter since the vivid figure of that person embraces her as soon as she opens her black orbs. Life is just too perfect.


6) They've known each other for years, maybe a bit longer than that. No one really knows since all of them have lost count long before they meet each other. Still, after these years they spend as friends -- kindred spirits -- she can't really define why she is more than friendly towards the elder. What are meant to be casual touches and occasional hugs actually manage to linger in her senses.


"What are we?" She utters.


"Um. Humans?" Her friend shrugs, uncertain. Their foggy breaths create layers between the blinking stars.


"I hate you," she hits her friend playfully. The latter winces.


7) Strings of profanities repeat itself at the back of her skull as she takes a glance at that person who happens to stand at the corner of the room, back leaning against the hard surface of the yellow-painted wall. It is a breathtaking view, indeed, to see streaks of orange engulf the figure, long fingers tap irregularly on the concrete blocks. She peers at her object of affection, and yes, hidden in her heart is the answer of the eternal longing. That person notices her stare, a friendly smile accompanies an equally friendly wave.


She smiles back, shyly, nervously. Her beating heart just won't shut the hell up.


Her world stills at the moment they hold hands.


8) "I love you," the two of them say.


Both with different meanings.


She can't help but feel guilty, and confused.


9) She nuzzles against the crook of her friend's neck, familiar heartbeat sounds so quiet in the midst of the noon. Warm hand her hair softly, an unspoken way to reassure her. She is nothing but an insecure child, really.


"I start seeing this person."


"Elaborate."


"It's just... The connection. I think this feels wonderful."


"Good for you."


She arches her eyebrows.


"That's it? No 'don't go, I need you' or something?"


"What are you expecting?" A sigh.


"I don't know," she says honestly. "I still like you both after all. It's the effort that counts, isn't it? Just like you said."


Her friend pats her head gently, an affectionate gesture that is only meant for her. Her eyes twinkle brightly in return.


"You're right."


10) Separation pierces into her for the second time, but with sheer luck, she avoids her tears from spilling like a cascade. That person plasters a forced smile, but the bond they share for the last two years tells her that it isn't okay for them to let each other go.


"I've done something worse," her soothing voice tells that person. "I've left something important in the past. I broke someone. I really, really, hope that I won't screw things up this time."


That person frowns. Disappointment lurks.


"The pain of losing a certain someone is unbearable, I know. I just hope that this story isn't too late to go back to square one. At least it can be continued."


That person comes closer.


"Our times aren't for nothing, right?"


A hug awaits.


*************************************