The Big Day

Even if You Know You’ll Get Hurt, Keep Going Straight.

Today is their big day. Yong Hwa and Shin Hye are holding each other’s hands as they sat beside each other whilst listening to the dean’s speech. Once they hear the greeting, “Congratulations, graduates!” All the students stood up and threw their graduation caps in the air. A sign that they are finally done with this chapter of their life and tomorrow marks a new episode. However, the story of Shin Hye and Yong Hwa would be far from that smooth road to success.

They just didn’t know it yet.

As their names were called, the graduates walked up the stage to receive their diploma. Only Yong Hwa’s mom was present because they couldn’t afford to buy another train ticket for his father who had to take care of the farm. Still, Yong Hwa managed to put the happiest face he could ever wear as he got his certificate and his medal of distinction, with his proud mother wearing it on him and giving him the tightest hug to make him feel how she was so happy for his achievement.

“Park Shin Hye. Valedictorian.”

Shin Hye was the last to be called, only because she was the top of her batch. Yong Hwa brought his mother to her seat before rushing to Shin Hye’s side to accept her merits as well. She was taking baby steps as she approached the stage, trying her best not to have a breakdown because none of her parents were there to be with her on one of the most important days of her life.

She feels embarrassed and was about to walk away when she felt a hand gripping hers, a warm squeeze that was enough to bring her back to the moment.

That toothy smile.

She would be a liar if she says it was enough of a reassurance and comfort to make up for all the frustrations she had with herself and her family, despite having the highest marks one could ever achieve in college.

 Shin Hye looked at him, and Yong Hwa’s heart cringed seeing her eyes glimmering with tears that are surely not ones because of joy. He gave her hand another squeeze and he didn’t let himself to get the sadness affect him too. He knew he had to be strong. He had to be the one to bring the both of them up.

“Come on! Your shining medal is waiting for you.”

Yong Hwa tugged on her hand. Yes, his smile wasn’t enough, but the fact that she knew he was trying his very best to lift her spirits up was more than enough reason to brush off the disappointment and walk up the stage and be recognized. If her parents weren’t there then it would be a shame to them, not hers.

Hand in hand, they walked together as Shin Hye reached for her diploma and medal. Yong Hwa gladly wore it on her and stole a chaste kiss on her lips which caused a bit of an uproar from the students, especially their classmates who had witnessed their chemistry since first day.

Later on, Shin Hye headed to the rostrum to deliver her valedictory address. Beads of cold sweat were evidently forming on her forehead and Yong Hwa suddenly became worried as he feels that something was wrong.

“Are you okay?”

Shin Hye just gave him a weak smile in return. She must be only nervous. That was what he thought. But as soon as she held the mic, adjusting it according to her height but he noticed that she was holding to it too tightly, like she was clinging to it with her life. Before he could think of what’s going to happen next, he heard a loud thud and in a split second he was beside her as she lay unconscious.

“Shin! Shin!” She shook her body but there was no response. She looks pale and her lips were turning a bit blue.

***

The dean, together with their professors and Yong Hwa’s mom were waiting outside the room. Yong Hwa, on the other hand, had his fidgeting fingers laced on hers, feeling tensed as Shin Hye wasn’t waking up still. He pressed a soft kiss on the back of her hand, silently wishing for her to be fine.

Slowly, Shin Hye opened her eyes, being awakened by the fact that she feels hungry. Her eyes slowly adjust to the light and as soon as she sees clearly, her gaze dropped to the person who was sitting next to him.

“Yong Hwa…” She pushes her body upward so she can sit on the bed, with her back resting on the headboard.

“Thank god you’re okay.” He stood up and carefully wrapped his arms around her to give her a hug and she could only blink in surprise.

“Why am I here?”

Like the expert heard her inquiry, the doctor came in with a clipboard in her hand. Yong Hwa let go of the hug and faced the doctor who gave them a serious look.

“Where are your parents, Ms. Park?”

“They’re not here, obviously.” Shin Hye shrugged at the question. The answer was so apparent that she knew something is going on and from there she started to feel uncomfortable.

The doctor’s expression gave nothing. She then turned to face Yong Hwa.

“Are you her husband?”

“No. But I’m her boyfriend.”

Yong Hwa felt his throat getting dry that he had to gulp a lump. There was a tinge of pain when he spoke earlier. The doctor pursed her lips and breathed deeply. She wasn’t sure if she had picked the right words in her head. The couple looked pretty young for this.

“…You are six weeks pregnant.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: HEADS UP FOR AN UPDATE! ^o^ LONG TIME NO SEE MY DEAR READERS. THIS UPDATE IS SHORT BUT I'LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU IN THE NEXT CHAPTERS. I PROMISE.

Btw, I'm officially a college graduate already! OuO And now looking for a job OTL So yeah, I'll try to update as fast as I can from now on. But right now, I'm a research assisant in the office where my parents work ewe;; They don't want me to be idle so they get me a temporary job  :3

Have a nice day everyone <3 Thank you to all those who read, subscribed and commented ^_____^