Chapter 3

A Night of Reflections

I had spent the rest of the evening with my nose buried in a book, studying, looking up articles on current affairs - all in a futile attempt to bar the image of you from my mind. The room was cloaked in darkness save for the little light from my laptop screen, the table lamp on my desk and the blinking red numbers, 23:00, glaring from my alarm clock perched on my bedside table, when I chose to close the article I was staring at. I had decided, after I found myself trying to make sense of the headline after the tenth time I read it, that this problem needed addressing.

There could have been a variety of possibilities that explained what had occurred this afternoon. You could have been smirking at your friends, who happened to be present in the particular sector of the canteen I was at. There is no guarantee that you had even acknowledged my presence – but, despite myself, I couldn't help feel reluctant to accept that theory. I was just so sure...

Nonetheless, it was with this mind-set that I had decided to go into college the next day and just pretend like the exchange never took place. However, when I woke to check my phone for messages the next morning a certain email sent from a certain goose had me contemplating jumping back into bed and putting on a performance portraying the black plague if necessary to avoid attending college that day. 

Dear Students,

It is vital for you to attend today's tutorial as I will be giving out necessary information and important notices. Furthermore, we will be doing progress reviews with everyone so I shall give you your appointment time when you come today....

"Vital for you to attend today," Chaelin roared with laughter as we walked up to the entrance. I had turned to the one person who, from my experience, had all the answers. The one person, who I could trust in my time of need. That one person had now doubled over at the gates to recover from the amusement my predicament seemed to provide for her. "So much for avoiding him at all costs."

"You have got to help me. I don't know what to do," I pleaded as Chaelin fell into another fit of giggles. "Be serious!"

"Sorry dude," she said as she straightened up. To bend back over resuming her torment.

"That's it, I'm leaving you here." A bus had just stopped in front of the gates, opening its doors to release a sudden surge of students pushing past us to get to their respective classes in a hurry - the constant bumps against my bag had started to build up into irritancy.

"No, no, wait! I'll be serious."

"I really need your help." A group of boys had landed onto the pavement and started to make their way towards our direction, a scowl sketched onto my face from the unnecessary raise in volume originating from them.

"I know, I know. Explain to me why you just didn't skip today then."

It was quiet, suddenly. The scowl had fallen into a small frown. As tempting as skipping today was for me, home and its current inhabitants were not welcoming at the moment. Home. It had been a while since I had thought of it more than a place to eat sleep and study. A current form of accommodation and nothing further than that. No form of attachment, I had promised myself, should reside between me and that house since the environment had become more-

"Difficult." I looked up to Chaelin's face as I was presented with a small smile while she patted my head. "No worries."

"Right, well since you know, we have a current unresolved issue."

"To be honest, I don't understand why you're turning this into a big deal. Unless you are infatuated with this guy."

"NO! How many times have I told you?"

"No. You're right. You must simply just care a lot about him."

"Where the hell did you get that idea from?"

"Well since you watch him and all. What's this guy’s name? Sing something?"

"His name is Song Minho, and I could care less about him!" I shrieked in annoyance. With that, movement around us had seemed to halt. At the time, I had brushed it off as a mere assumption that it was almost time for lesson, and I was in no hurry to get to class. The longer I could delay the inevitable, the better. Not to mention, the sight of two girls bickering outside college gates was strange so I had presumed everyone had simply decided to go around. They were fairly plausible reasons to provide a solution to the sudden stillness surrounding us. Nothing, however, prepared me for the next series of events that began with a small cough.

My hands immediately became clammy, my stomach began performing a familiar routine and I was drenched with a feeling of dread long before I had turned around to see it’s source. To see you. Standing there, awkwardly playing with your snapback, waiting for us to step aside. 

Perhaps if I had paid any attention to your sniggering friends behind you, and took notice of any of their gestures, it would have struck me that we were heard. I would have immediately apologised and begun a chain of unsatisfactory explanations as to why I had declared my, what is easily misinterpreted as dislike, for you. Because I definitely did not dislike you. 

I was too preoccupied, however, with deciphering your movements, to gouge a reaction from you. I could not help but just decode the way you muttered a small thank you to Chaelin as she apologised, pushing me away, to allow enough space for you to walk in between; interpret the manner in which you walked past us through the gates. 

I had been rendered speechless. What struck me was the lack of eye-contact and lack of reaction. Perhaps you had found it offensive. The fact that I had made a point to ignore you for no apparent reason and the mishap that had occurred now would be enough to anger me. You had finally drawn the line and enough was enough. 

That may not be the only case, however. Perhaps you did not even care. Perhaps I had misunderstood the extent with which you regarded me. What should an opinion of one insignificant girl matter compared to your wide plethora of contacts? The pang of disappointment that resonated through me was louder than expected.

"Well then, you should have no worries." Chaelin had a small smirk plastered on her face as I stared at your retreating figure before it was engulfed into the sea of students.  

.