stubborn

stubborn

Sungmin had always loved trains. He adored travelling and exploring unknown places, looking through the window of the train to see colourful patches of the earth or blue and white gentleness of the sky in the horizon. And so at his young age he already travelled through most of Europe and Asia, his memory storages full of photos, thoughts full spectrum of feelings and jet-lags. However as he came back to Seoul he realized just how much he missed his country.. His luggage still unpacked he bought a new ticket to KTX Gyeongbu line 1st class, thinking about new but this time more relaxing travel.

- Good day,sir. Would you like anything to order? – the train had started moving fifteen minutes ago or so, Sungmin lost in his thoughts enjoying the view through the window when he heard a deep voice. Once he turned his head to see a man in uniform he found himself believing into all those sappy stories about first love and how the time stops and it’s hard to breath and oh his heart… - Nothing? – calm eyes were fixed on him as he opened his mouth a few times. – Very well then. Have a nice trip. If something’s wrong you may always call. – the man turned to go, but Sungmin finally found his voice.
- Tea. I would like a cup of tea. Black. – conductor then nodded making some tea. “Enjoy” was his last word before he turned to go. Conductor came back only when Sungmin finished his tea, collecting it, but the customer didn’t wanted to release him. Not yet.. His interest in view behind the window was lost as he only wanted to see the worker. So he ordered the tea once again. And then once again. The 4th time conductor, wearing the same soft-poker smile, eyes calm and uninterested said:
- Sir. If your wish does consist something other than the tea, please don’t seek it. Customers always stay customers. – And so Sungmin was left with nothing more but to try harder. He came back to Seoul with the same train, trying desperately to fight the others attention and name. He came back with nothing. So he bought another ticket to the same train.

The second time on Gyeongbu line weren’t so lucky. He saw the same conductor while boarding but it wasn’t the same voice taking his order.
- Were’s the… - he found himself asking young woman only realizing of not knowing how. - ..the other.. You know, he works here but.. hm.. This tall man with short hair.. messily waved, I think.. And a.. straight nose.. big eyes… – he waved his hands trying to explain. The woman blinked until she seemed to get it.
- You probably mean Kyuhyun? He works in a different wagon this time. - Sugmin was disappointed, as he tapped his fingers on his lap. - So.. Are you going to order something?
- No. Nothing. –The woman turned to leave when she was stopped. – On the other hand.. Where’s the next longer stop?
- Dongdaegu.
- Tell him to meet me at “The Cofee Bean”. – Ok fine. Now he felt stupid and embarrassed for doing so.. But some situations need awkward solutions, huh? Never the less, his plan was unsuccessful. Or no, not just that.. It was.. tragical.

- Good day,sir. Would you like anything to order? – Sungmin glared at the other.
- Last time I had to take another train to come back straight to Seoul.
- Last time? - conductor calmly collected empty cups never looking at Sungmin
- You never came! – that made Kyuhyun freeze, his eyes still stubbornly not meeting customers. He left not saying a word. Sungmin frowned crossing his arms. – What was that? Not feeling even slightly sorry? This heartless cretin..!
However not a long time after Sungmin turned his head to see the named cretin once again with a cup of tea and a piece of chocolate cake.
- It’s on the house. – conductor left him stunned. “So you’re not brave enough to say ‘sorry’ to my face?” he wanted to feel angry, but as he looked down at the cake, smile soon formed on the lips. After all, it was the others own sort of apology.

Kyuhyun never gave in, always using 존댓말 합쇼체(Jondaesmal Habsyoche), silently pouring down the tea and never answering questions about himself. However he did listened to Sungmins stories about his travels and interests and it looked like his eyes betrayed him showing interest in customers every word.

- Take a seat next to me. Please… - Sungmin asked once, thunder roaring behind the window. When conductor looked at him surprised he added sheepishly. – I’m scared of the thunder. - he really did had a scared look in his eyes and Kyuhyun felt slightly torn.
- You’re not the only customer on the train…
- Shouldn’t you bring satisfying service to the clients? Sit. – conductor did as he was told. Sungmin anxiously bit his lip looking around through the windows. – Nothing’s going to happen to the train, right? – Kyuhyun shook his head.
- Nothing had, nothing will. – he kept silent for a while before adding - I think.. You shouldn’t look through the windows if that makes you scared, though. So.. Try to look just at me. – Sungmin nodded blushing as he watched Kyuhyuns handsome face. Thunder could be heard so close the sky dark.. He saw the sudden light reflect on conductors face as the thunder roared wildly. Sungmin jumped slightly grabbing at the hem of the others uniform, Kyuhyuns eyes showing concern, slight frown between his brows. He put his one arm around the shoulders of scared one, comforting him and sat there until the end of the storm.

Sungmin was on the bench at Dongdaegu station. There was something troubling him. Or rather, someone. “Is Kyuhyun working in a different wagon again?” he asked earlier the new conductor only to hear “He quit his job”. He still knew nothing about the man except for his name while the other knew all his dreams and worries and listened to all his stories. How on Earth is it possible to find Kyuhyun now? He went to board on the train dragging his feet unhappily. Sungmin looked at the train almost hating it now. Such a misfortune. 
- Sungmin! – now he was hallucinating? Oh how great. He shook his head ready to go in only to hear the same voice once again, this time closer. – Sungmin! – he looked to see the person he was missing so much forgetting about the train. “Sir, are you getting on the train or not?” was heard somewhere in the background but the meaning wasn’t quite registered in his head as Sungmin found himself running to the man who called him. – This time you were the one who made me wait for such a long time. – Kyuhyun whined slightly pouting. – You know you’re undeniably annoying but... – He could hear the train starting to move but couldn’t tear his eyes off of Kyuhyuns smile. Looks like he’s going to be left at the same train station but this time it looks like he wasn’t going to be alone. - ..but I undeniably missed you.