Fluff!

It All Started With a French Fry

It was 9pm and the café was nearly empty. You were sipping a chai latte as you gazed out onto the busy streets of Seoul. Your hair was put into a messy bun and you had sipped on whatever was closest to you as you rushed out the door of your apartment. You didn’t care much for your appearance at the moment, you just needed to get away from that damned place. And a warm drink in an indie café was the first idea that popped into your head, so there you went.

    The day had been…interesting. It started out fine, waking up tangled in the sheets with your boyfriend, Key. He had made you breakfast (pancakes and bacon, your favorite) and you two shared flirtatious remarks along with the bottle of maple syrup. He had gone to rehearsal and you went to your day job, promising to meet up for lunch. Since both of your breaks were short, you decided to meet up at the local fast food joint. And that was where it all occurred. The one remark that sent you running out of the restaurant.

    “Honey, if you keep on eating like this you’re never going to achieve that body you keep tellin’ me about.” Key had stated, popping a french fry into his mouth. He said it so casually, not even thinking of how you may react. “I mean, a large meal with extra fries? I know you love this kind of stuff, but seriously. It wouldn’t hurt you to opt for the tuna wrap. I hear they’re really good!”

    You put your burger down, looking at your boyfriend with amusement and disbelief. How could he say such a thing? Sure, it might be true, but you don’t say those types of things to a girl, much less a girlfriend! Leaning back in your chair, you looked across at him.

    “Oh really Key? Do you think I’m fat, then?”

    “…no, dear. I’m sorry. Let’s pretend I never said anything. I’m sorry, sugar.” he replied, reaching for your hand. You pulled your hand away and shook your head.

    “Key, you know how sensitive I am about my body. We’ve been dating for over a year and half.”

    “I know, I said I’m sorry! Eat your burger, it’s not like you’re losing pounds anytime soon!” he exclaimed, only to immediately cover his mouth once the words left. His eyes went wide and began apologizing profusely for the final comment. He had always been brutally honest, and sometimes it got the best of him. For example, like right now.

    “Kim Kibum! How ing dare you!” you got up and stormed out of the restaurant, returning to work early. Your cell hone was receiving text messages from Key constantly, however you just turned your iPhone off after the twentieth message. When it was time for you to leave, you went to your friend’s house and stayed there so Key couldn’t find you. You needed time alone. His words hurt more than he thought they did because you never did have a thigh gap, nor a perfectly sculpted stomach. After a while, you decided that even though food seemed to be your enemy at the moment, a cup of warm tea would do more help than damage. So here you are, watching speeding cars pass the café.

    You look down into your warm cup, dipping your finger lightly in the foam and it off your finger. Just as you went to take a sip, you heard the door jingle open. You lifted your head to see Key entering, his appearance a complete and utter mess. You doubted that it was because of you-he probably just finished rehearsal and hasn’t showered yet. Although the more dramatic side of you hoped that it was because of you. You just couldn’t help it.

    He didn’t notice you upon his entrance; he was currently staring at the menu above the barista. You put up your hood and turned the other direction, pulling your cell phone out and plugging in your headphones. You didn’t play any music though, you just wanted to seem like a regular customer. You heard him make his order, a medium decaf with extra cream. He paid for his drink and turned your way, walking towards a table a few feet away from you. As he sat down, he took a sip of his decaf and put his head down on the table. You could’ve sworn that you heard him mumble I’m so ing stupid to himself a few times.

    Out of the corner of your eye, you were able to catch a glimpse of his face. You say that his eyes were slightly red and his lips were beyond chapped. He pulled a slip of paper out of his coat pocket and read it to himself, his voice deep and quiet.

    “Hours, I count the hours since I’ve heard your voice/I am on the side of the wrong, my words were incorrect/My words burned you like flames/Your tears washed over me like novacaine/And now I’m left to sit and reflect” he sang, his voice falling slightly short on the final note. He sighed and took out a pencil and scribbled something else on the slip of paper. You bit your lip and whimpered, masking the sound by coughing quietly. Key lifted his head slightly at you then returned to writing.

    You two sat at the café until it was close to closing time. Suddenly, one of the baristas called from over the counter for you two to repare yourselves to leave. You nodded in acknowledgment and Key looked over in your direction. You still had your headphones in your ears and your hood up, so you hoped it was a fair enough disguise. To your disappointment, it was not.

    Key rushed over to you and hugged you tightly, whimpering into your hood. You squeezed your eyes shut, not quite prepared to speak to him yet. But you felt your icy outer shell melt away at the warmth of his embrace. You eventually gave up attempting to resist and wrapped your arms loosely around his torso.

    He pulled away from you to cup your cheek softly and look into your eyes, biting his lips before he began to speak, his voice shaking and unsteady.

    “Baby, words can’t describe how sorry I am. I was insensitive and baby, you are god damn beautiful to me. I love you like this. I love the way we share spaghetti kisses and have whipped cream wars. I’d rather have you than any woman in the world, no matter what shape or size. I love you, baby girl.”

    You were caught in a wave of emotions. His earlier lyrics combined with these words caused you to throw all your anger at him to the wind. You crashed your lips into his, holding him as if you were to never let go. He returned the kiss with fervour with passion, his tongue circling with yours. He nipped at your lips and you gave him entrance, your tongues moving in sync with one another. You kissed until you heard the same barista clear their throat at you two. You separated and noticed that his cheeks contained a dusting of pink and giggled. Key returned his gaze to you and smiled softly, whispering into your ear.

    “Hey babe, do you want to go home and let me show you how much I love your body?” You nodded eagerly and took his hand in yours, interlocking your fingers. You both left and hailed a cab, ready for a night full of make-up .