Chapter 17

False Identity

Charmaine and Raymond were inside a lightly lit cafe sipping their drinks awaiting the arrival of Bosco and Sharon.

Raymond took a little box out of his coat pocket and slid it across the table to Charmaine.

"What is this?" she asked as she picked up the gift wrapped box.

Raymond smiled. "Open it and you'll see."

Charmaine teared the wrapping paper and opened the lid of the box. Inside the box was a beautiful silver heart-shaped pendant dangling on a silver chain. Inside the heart was a small ruby also in the shape of a heart. Charmaine took the necklace out and ran her fingers lightly on the pendant.

"Do you like it?" Raymond asked anxiously.

Charmaine looked up from the pendant to meet his eyes. "I love it," she whispered. Tears welled in her eyes and she quickly dabbed at them with her fingers.

Seeing her cry, Raymond quickly grab hold of her hand. "I bought this gift for you to see you smile, not cry."

"I'm crying because I really love this pendant." She squeezed his hand. "But you're not working now. You should save your money. I don't need gifts to be happy. You're my best gift."

Touched by her words Raymond felt his heart tighten. "The necklace wasn't that expensive," he said uneasily. "Come on.. let me put this on you." Raymond removed the necklace from her hand and with care placed it around her neck. When done, he sat back in his chair to admire the pendant on the woman that he loves more than anything.

Charmaine looked at Raymond, her fingers automatically going up to touch the pendant. "Thank you."

Raymond took her hand into his and kissed her knuckles. "No need to thank me. Its a gift for my love one."

Charmaine smiled at his words. "I love you too."

They both stared at each other intensely and that's how Bosco and Sharon found them.

"You guys! You see each other every day. This open display of affection is disgusting." Bosco complained as he sat down next to Sharon and place an arm around her shoulders. He leaned onto Sharon and whispered softly, "Honey, what can i get for you to drink?"

Sharon pushed his arms away, "No public display of affection. If you could say that about them, then it applies to us too."

The four of them laughed. Suddenly a commotion by the entrance caught their attention.

"They're over there!" Someone yelled. A dozen men started charging for their table.