WHAT JUST HAPPENED OVER THERE?

DAZED AND CONFUSED

It is finally D-day.  Luckily I have not gained a pound, I even think that I lost some. (I know…isn’t that shocking?)  I have also exfoliated, waxed, washed, cleaned, combed, flossed, polished, and did everything a girl needs to do before going to a party filled with the most beautiful people in the world.
I hated every minute of this torture only girls had to go through.
Why cant I just be hairy and disheveled sometimes?

Let’s go back to the story.

I put my hair up in a messy chignon, put on my earrings, and grabbed my keys.  When I went outside to get my car, I saw a huge limosine.
The windows started to roll down and then a familiar face popped out saying, “Noona! We came to pick you up!”
“What?  You guys are going to the party too?”
“Of course! We got invited by Char.  Jiyong’s uncle is going to be there too.” Shouted Daesung.
“Oh. Right. Okay then.”
I hopped into the car and I became aware that everyone was looking at me.  Even epic man.
“Amelie.  You look amazing.” Top cooed.
“Thank you. You’re too kind.” And then I blushed crimson red.
But of course, Jiyong snickers in the back.
Alert.
Before I could think, I blurted, “Well…you look marvelous Jiyong.  Like a 12 year old in his father’s suit.”
“OMG noona! That was sooo funny.” Seungri started to tear up because he was laughing so hard.


What was I thinking? Epic man looked amazing.  He was wearing a white suit with an electric blue tie and a black pocket square.  Boy has amazing fashion sense.  Too bad his attitude didn’t fit to par.  And here I was drooling over how wonderful he looked and being immature at the same time.  I just said he looked like a 12 year old!  What is wrong with me?

“We’re here.” Exclaimed Taeyang.
Well…here goes nothing.


The party was fabulous.  It was just like Visible magazine, only bigger, brighter, and life-sized.  Everywhere you stepped you landed in front of someone famous or someone note-worthy.  There was even a red carpet for all of the celebrities.  Of course, Big Bang went on it and got attacked by the photographers.
I took the back door.  I was staff.  Not someone noteworthy.

“Amelie.  There you are.”  Char grabbed my shoulder and swung me around.
Char definitely had quite a few drinks.
“You look fabulous Amelie.  I should give Alexander a pay raise.  Did you lose weight?  You look thinner.  Still a little heifer, but thinner.” Slurred Char.
“You’re always too kind Char.  Is there anything you want me to help out with?”
“No, just enjoy yourself.  You did enough for this party already.  However, if anyone asks where I am…tell them….i’m….busy…or I went home early.  I don’t want them seeing me canoodling with Peter.”
Peter was the rich financier uncle of epic man and fiancé of Char.
“Right. Of course. “
“Goodbye.  Peter where are you?”
And she walked off…or more like stumbled off to find her fiancé.
She is a marvelous creature.

There wasn’t anyone here in particular that I knew so I just went over to the bar and had a few cosmos.  Let me tell you, cosmopolitans are the best ever.  EVER. Try it.   And I also had a few martinis (FYI: I know that I am under aged, but that really doesn’t matter anymore).  So by the time the party was almost over…and all the noteworthy and famous people had left…I was a little tipsy.
Then I thought I was completely drunk when I see Crap er.  Claire.
“O MY GOD!  Amelie?  Is that you?  You look marvelous!  But still can’t lay off the donuts? Sweetie…you have to look good to get the boys.”
.
“Claire?  It is so good to see you.  You are beautiful as always.”
Plastic fantastic.
“So what are you doing here Amelie?  I know you are not famous.  Nor noteworthy… Hm….did you sneak in?”
This girl is stupider than the stupidest.  I have completely lost in this battle of stupidity.
“No…I work as an intern in Visible Magazine and I’m a temporary representative of Char.”
“Oh really?  My…that is a fabulous job.  Anyway…did I tell you?  I dumped Jacob.  You know the guy that I came here to America with?  The awfully rich and gorgeous man? Well…I dumped him because I got bored.”
As a side note, not that any of you guys care about Claire’s life, she somehow graduated from high school and went to Korea and lived there until about a year ago where she hooked up with a man named Jacob.  And this guy’s is apparently gorgeous and rich.  He’s 45.
Try to think about not slapping her.  Stop your hand.  I think it’s twitching.  Think of a happy place.  Warm comfy bed, chocolate fondue, warm baked cookies, red velvet cake, cranberry scones, hot chocolate, and cupcakes….
“So anyway…I heard that Big Bang was here so I came.  I dated the leader, Jiyong, before.  Did you know? But I dumped him too of course.  He was so clingy.  I hate clingy men.”
three thousand here.  And on the loose if I might add.
When is she leaving?  Maybe I should make the first move.
“Amelie…remember that one time you went on stage and sang a song in front of the whole school?”
“You mean…the time you forced me to go up on stage?”
“Yes!  You remembered!  Well I thought we should reenact it for old time’s sake, so I told the band you were going to be singing.”
“No thank you.  I don’t like singing.”
“I heard fat people sing well.”
“I really don’t think so.  Maybe next time.”

But of course Claire doesn’t listen to me.  She never does.  She was born to make my life a miserable hell.  She spends half of the day screwing men and half of the day making me feel like a piece of fat lumpy .

She goes on the stage, taps the mic a couple of times, and goes…
“Hello everyone.  My name is C.S. and my friend, Amelie wants to sing a number to us.  She is a bit fat so please give her a round of applause…or maybe just a pizza.” And she left the stage snickering.

I hate this woman.
I climb up the stage.  Everyone being dead silent except for the few rude comments about how I was about to break the stage with my lumpy .  .  I do not know what to sing.  I do not want to be here.  I think my hands are getting clammy and I’m working up a sweat just standing under all of these lights.
“Good evening.  I’m sorry to have bothered you…but apparently my friend thinks its funny to embarrass her high school friend.  Well…you can just leave if my singing deafens you.  I will be singing Listen by Beyonce. “

.  I see everyone from up here.  Char, Peter, some random other people I don’t know, Big Bang, and epic man, Jiyong.
Jiyong seemed amused that I was up here.  But he didn’t make any rude comments.  He just watched intently.

I gave the signal to the band to start.  And then I sang.  I sang my heart out.  Quiet and shy at first, afraid of letting too much out and then softening into the song and finally belting out my soul for the whole world to feel.
The song ended and I was left breathless.  I was in my own little world for a good 3 minutes.  When I realized what I have done, I ran down off the stage and reached for the exit.  I ran up the stairs and onto the roof to get my breathing back in order.
I sang in front of…at least…100 people.  I am a complete idiot.  And I hate Crap er for doing this to me.  I hate Char for making me come to this party.  I hate Alexander for making me this dress.  I hate Jiyong and his attitude.  And most of all…I hated myself for hating.
As I reached the roof, I tried to get myself together instead of having this anxiety attack.  I felt queasy.  I felt dizzy.  I didn’t want to go back down.  I wanted to disappear.  How was I going to face everyone from the magazine tomorrow?
I stood numb and looked out towards the scene off the balcony. Despite the worry for tomorrow, the scenery was absolutely stunning.  You can see the classic Hollywood sign and the street lights and racing lights dancing under the moon.  It was breath-taking.

“You were amazing.”
Who said that?  I turned around and I saw Jiyong.  All there with his high and mighty self.
“What do you want?  Please just leave me alone.”
“Why are you ashamed?  That was a standing ovation you just got.  I never knew you could sing like that.”
“I can’t sing.  I just made a laughing stock out of myself.  That was completely embarrassing.  And it was all because of that stupid skinny bimbo.”
Why was I even telling all of this to this guy?  We barely talk…except to say mean things to each other.  And here I was…telling him how I felt at that very moment.
“You can sing.  Hell, you have a beautiful voice.  Amazing.  I got goose bumps just listening to you.  And I am a pretty hard critic.  And you shouldn’t care about Claire.  After all, she is just a skinny bimbo.  And if it makes you feel any better…after you sang like that, she stormed out of the room…she is probably calling her Jacob to pick her up.”

Wow. For a guy that didn’t talk the last couple of days we saw each other, he just said a whole speech.  Good for him.  He can talk.  And if I may add, his little monologue made me feel a tad better.

But I couldn’t let this go, so…I said,
“Aren’t you in love with Claire?”

He looked a little taken aback.  As if I shot him.  I knew it.  All men love beautiful girls, even if they are a bunch of sorry es.
But then he threw his head back and laughed out loud.
“You thought I was in love? With her?”
“Yes. You seemed pretty moody the first day I met you.”
“Well…yes I was moody, but it wasn’t because of her.  I have my ups and downs sometimes.”
“But Seungri said…”
“Seungri likes to make up stories about me because I never tell him anything personal about my life.”
“So you do like America?”
“I love America.”
“Good.”
“….”
“Why aren’t you in love with Claire?”
“I was with her because I was young.  And I didn’t know any better.  I thought it was all about physical appearance, but sooner or later appearance gets a little boring.”
“I see.”
I looked over to the view again and I smiled…just a tiny bit.  Not because epic man isn’t the I thought he was, nor was it the fact that not all men liked Claire, but I felt so …satisfied and happy being up there with the scene just the way I am.
“ I forgot to mention, but you look beautiful tonight.”
“WHAT!?”
“Do you always shout when people compliment you?”
“oh..thank you.  I normally don’t receive compliments.  I get more fat jokes than compliments.  But that’s what I get working in the fashion world.”
“I love fashion, but I’m not fond of skinny girls.  There is nothing to love.”
“That’s what I’m saying.  Fashion should be for every single girl out there.  Instead of obsessing over how big our butts are, we should be thankful that we have feet to walk with and hands to touch.”
“Exactly.”
“Exactly.”  Then he looked into my eyes, and he sparkled.  He gave me a slightly crooked grin that made me give him a little smile back.
That night, we talked and talked until the sun came up.  We talked about everything.  We talked about politics, philosophy, clothes, music, cars, sports, nature, animals, you name it.  We probably talked about everything and anything you could possibly think of.
Jiyong was actually this very down to earth guy.  He laughed easily and was shy at times, but he was definitely genuine.  He was even quite animated at times.  He was more than I bargained for.  He was more than I ever dreamed of.
He was perfect.

“Arent you cold?”
“What?”
“You haven’t asked me if you could borrow my jacket…or haven’t commented on how cold it is.”
“Girls only do that to get attention from guys.  If the girl is really cold, she would go inside where it’s warm.  Besides, I like the cold weather.  Something about the cold crisp air that makes me want to breath it all in.”
“you’re a special one aren’t you?”
“Of course.  You should be honored to be in my presence.”
“You do know that I’m the celebrity right?”
“Yeah. Whatever.  You want to go now?  I’m pretty sure everyone’s looking for you…Oh mighty celebrity.”
We came down the roof and I was wondering if we should call a taxi or wait for the bus, but there was already a limo waiting outside.
“Did you have that here this whole time?”
“Well…I couldn’t let a lady go walking home all by herself.”
“Are you always this slick?”
“It’s what I do everyday.”

God.  This man is HOT.  I’m glad I nicknamed him Epic man.  He is beyond EPIC.
We finally made it to my apartment and I was just about to say goodbye when…
He squeezed my hand gave me those smoldering-I’m-going-to-put-you-on-fire looks before he whispers, “Good Morning.  I’ll see you in about 5 hours.”
“Where are we going?”
“You were planning to show us Hollywood remember? At around 1 in the afternoon today?”
. Totally forgot that I was tour guide Amelie.
“right.  I’ll see you soon.  Thank you for…everything.”
And I left with a dizzy head, burning chest, and a melting hand.


What just happened over there?