Making plans

A CHANGE OF HEART

Kris can’t believe that it’s been an entire week since he had met Lay for the first time; the week had gone in a haze. One second he was freezing his off in the middle of the street watching Lay walk away with his friends and the next thing he know, he was laying on his king size bed, after a long and hot shower. Even though Kris’s day has been one of the most exhausting days, he couldn’t sleep and rest, instead he kept playing this night’s event over and over in his head. He had spent the most night staring at his ceiling remembering those charming eyes and thinking how much he had fell for an absolute stranger from the first sight.

Kris wasn’t the kind that believes in love at first sight; in fact he never did believe in love; let along love at first sight, thus what he felt toward Lay cannot possibly be consider love, he liked Lay and that was all for the moment. A lot of people confuse love with lust although those two feeling are nothing alike. Pure lust is based solely on physical attraction and fantasy, you see what you hope someone will be or need them to be rather than seeing the real person, flaws and all, and lust often dissipates when the “real person” surfaces, it’s the stage of wearing rose colored glasses when he "can do no wrong" .Being in love doesn't exclude lust. In fact, lust can lead to love. However, real love, not based on idealization or projection, requires time to get to know each other. And even though Kris never fell in love, he can tell the difference. People who aren’t really familiar with him would call him a player, but that was far away from the truth. At 27 years old, Kris, the only heir of the Wu’s empire and the CEO of one of the most successful international cooperation, had never found the time to maintain any kind of romantic relationship.

Kris never wanted in his life to take after his father, he had his own dreams and never for a second had been anyone but his own person. He used to despise his father’s job, he still does, although he loved and worshiped his father. Yet life always takes us places we never thought off. After Kris graduated high school, he chose not to go to college directly, instead he wanted to travel all over the world in order to try finding himself and decide the way he wanted his life to be, his best friend at that time called it a spiritual search. His parents didn’t approve at first. His mother was worried that he may get hurt, while his father wanted him to go to college and start working a part time job at their company to gain some experience, but once Kris put his mind on something, he make sure that he’ll have it whatever it took, so he talked to his father and told him that he could never work his entire life caged behind a desk, it’s simply wasn’t meant for him and even though he could do it to make him happy, he knew that all his parents cared about was his happiness so they wouldn’t force him to do something his heart wasn’t in it, at the end he got his parents approval and the morning after that he left. Couple months later, and while he was in Morocco heading to Europe, he got the call that would change his life forever. His father’s plane had crashed while he was heading to a meeting in Singapore and no one had survived. In his entire life, Kris had never lost a beloved, not even a death of a friend or a relative, so he didn’t know how he should feel, his father was his family rock, he was the one that everyone counted on, he was loyal and a hard worker and he was the one that Kris looked up to growing up. And at that moment, when he knew that the most important person in his life was gone for good, Kris felt lost and all he thought about was the look of disappointment and betrayal his father has when his only son walked away from his own family, so he took the first plane back home, attended the funeral, enrolled in college and took a job at the firm at the same time. He did exactly what his father wanted him to do in the first place. And now 8 years later, and at such a young age he made the Wu’s empire much bigger than his father could ever had dreamt of. But all work leave no time to have a serious relationship or maybe he just never had met the person who’ll capture his attention first then his heart. So his love life, till this moment, was close to nonexistent. He had dated few times but only because his mother or his friends kept nagging at him, and had set him up in a bunch of blind dates. Being rich, handsome and charming has his appeal, but he was never really interested in any of those people.

 Yet all that changed the moment Lay walked in his life. He can’t explain it even if he tries, it was just something that he felt and had no control over. Which made him so confused, it wasn’t in his nature to feel so charmed with someone in such a short time, I mean come on, Lay was a perfect stranger when he had first laid eyes on him and he started calling him his angel, for Christ sake who do that?!! Crazy people do that, and he was completely crazy and smitten about Lay, he truly liked the guy.

So when Kris was lying in his bed, one hour after Lay left him, and before he fell asleep, he had sent Lay a text at 1am, just because he felt like it. “Good night Lay and sweet dreams, glad I got to meet and talk to u, it was really fun. Maybe next time we’ll have more time to get to know each other. Can’t wait to see u again” he sent the text before he deleted it once more and start writing it all over again, he was that nervous, like a teenager girl with her first crush, it seem like each second he spent with Lay or thinking about him made him more stupid. But 5 minutes later, and not that he was counting, he received a reply and he couldn’t stop the stupid smile on his face even if his life depend on it. “Yeah, it was fun for me too. I googled about the word Zahir when I got home, I found few interesting stuffs I think u like to know. Can’t wait to see u and tell u what I’ve found.  Night Kris

And now exactly a week after, Kris can’t believe that he actually has a date schedule this weekend with Lay. He tried each time he talked to Lay at the phone or texted him, to set a date as soon as possible so they could go out together, but every time he asked him, Lay would have something else planed and so he couldn’t meet with him. Still they had talked at least once each day for the past week, so Kris got the chance to know few things bout Lay. It turned out that Lay is a college student as well as a dance teacher as a part time job, he loved to dance since the moment he start walking as a baby, that was his words, dance was his passion, the only thing besides his crazy friends that bring him the most joy. He had no parents or a family to speak of, his parents had died a year after they had moved to Korea when he was 10 years old, all he has is his two best friends who he had known for seven years now and who he live with, go to school with and work with as well, they were very close, after all they were each other family. Kris had hoped after hearing those words, that maybe one day he could be Lay’s family.

They had agreed, both Lay and Kris, to meet tomorrow night at 6pm, Kris was suppose to pick Lay up from his apartment and then they could do whatever Kris has planned for them, it was Kris idea. The problem was that Kris had no clue where he should take Lay for their first date; he wanted their date to be special; a date that Lay would enjoy, be at ease and mostly have fun, that’s what he had promised Lay. Yet, while sitting at his office at the company, he couldn’t come up with a single idea for their date. Which mean he needed help as soon as possible, so he did what anyone at his shoes would do, he called his best friend. It rang twice before Chanyeol answered him.

“Kris?”

“Yeah it’s me, why so surprised?”

“Man, you never call me, eveeeeer, and especially when you’re at work. So what give?”

“What make you think I’m at work?”

“It’s Thursday morning, where else would you be? Are you okay? I’m getting little worried and confused over here”

Kris had to hold a smile, he’s such a prick for not calling his friend as much as he should, he’ll fix that in the future.

“I’m great, don’t worry. I just need to ask you a favor”

“Okeeey!!! The great Kris need a favor, and from who? Me. What the world had come to?!! Are you gone crazy or something?”

“Hehe, very funny. Would you please shut up and listen, stop being a jerk”

“Fine, I’m all ears, so shoot”

“You remember the guy I met the last weekend, when you dragged me all over Seoul, at Zahir?”

“Yeah how could I forgot? You kept talking about him all the way back home. Get to the point, Kris, I don’t have all morning. What about him?”

“I have a date with him tomorrow night, and I… “

“Wait a second, a date, you mean like a real date, with someone you actually like and whom you’re not forced to go out with”

“Yeah, a real date, if it wasn’t, would I be calling you?”

“Guess not. So what’s the problem? You obviously like this guy, what’s his name again?”

“Lay”

“Like I said, you obviously like this Lay, why so nervous? It’s just a date”

“The problem is that I like him a lot. God Chanyeol, you should have seen him, he’s so beautiful and smart and funny, and I felt like I’m on the top of the world while talking to him. I want our first date to be special, something he could never forget. But I have no clue what should I do. And I’m supposed to be picking him up at 6pm tomorrow”

“Jesus, you really are whipped if you’re so upset about a simple date”

“ you Chanyeol. You know what, never mind, I’ll figure it out by myself”

“Easy tiger, just teasing you a little. Come on, how many chance will I get to see you all flustered for a simple date?”

“But it’s not just a simple date”

Kris didn’t mean to sound like whining but that’s how his voice was like. Could he get more ridiculous?

“Sorry man, didn’t know it was this important. You want it to be special you said, right?”

“Yeah, what should I do?”

“First of all, you need flowers”

“What?”

“Send him a bouquet of flowers tomorrow, couple hours before your date start, with a note that say you’re excited for your date and that you miss him, something like that”

“Are you sure? Wouldn’t he be mad? He’s a guy you know”

“So, you can give a man flowers. I would know, I have to give Baekhyun flowers each time I go to see him or else he’ll be pissed and then he’ll make my life a walking hell. He says that when I send him flowers in the middle of the day and just from the blue he feel loved. I wouldn’t know what he’s talking about, but if it get him happy and smiling then I’ll build him his own garden with all kind of flowers in it. Trust my word you need flowers”

“Ok, Flowers, got it. What next?”

“What does he like?”

“Dancing, he says it’s his passion”

“Oh man, you have it easy, why were you so nervous I don’t understand… You can take him to a club after dinner, you’ll get to be close to him and dance with him a little”

“Haven’t you forgotten something really important?”

“What did I forget?”

 “I can’t dance you moron”

“Oh !! Yeah you can’t, and if you want to see more of this guy then you need to avoid letting him see you dance till you’re one hundred percent sure that he’s in love with you or else he’ll run for the hills “

“So what should I do?”

“Don’t worry Kris, we’ll figure it out. Did you know that I had to take Baekhyun to dozens of first dates just so he would allow me to introduce him as my boyfriend? And still he wasn’t satisfied.”

Kris was losing his mind, how could he be stupid enough to call Chanyeol for help, he’ll drive him crazy before helping, if he help him at all.

“Well Baekhyun is just crazy and out of his mind”

“You’re asking for my help and at the same time insulting the love of my life. I would be mad but you’re right, he’s nuts”

“Back to my own date please”

“Yeah yeah. What about a dance show?”

“What about it?”

“Focus Kris, would he like going to a dance show?”

“Oh, yeah, he’ll love that. But what show?”

“There is this performance that Baekhyun was nagging at me to take him to. You could take him and I’m sure you’ll booth enjoy it. But it’s hard to get tickets this late, yet again; you’re the mighty great Wu Yifan. I’ll tell you what performance if you promise to get me tickets for my baekhyun?”

“Fine, but it will be for next week. I like to save Lay from running into the both of you”

“Whatever. It’s a dance performance at 63 ArtHall. If you said he love to dance then this show is a must”

“A dance show, I like this idea. And after the show is over?”

“Dinner, man!! Chose a nice and cozy restaurant, one that close to his apartment”

 “Why close?”

“So you could park your car at the restaurant and after dinner you could walk him home, you know, being a gentleman and all…”

“That’s an awesome thought. But don’t you think a first date is too early to take him somewhere romantic?”

“No, it’s a good idea. Anywhere particular in mind?

Kris thought for a moment. “Maybe Icaria’s? The atmosphere’s great: candles, Italian food….I think he’ll like it”

 

“Yeah, it’s a nice place to have a romantic dinner…. Ah, before I forget, don’t try to kiss him or seem like you just wanna get laid if you really like him and want your relationship with him to last, unless of course he offer”

“He’s not that kind, and I really want to know him more so it will be just a normal date with no involved. But why can’t I kiss him goodnight?”

“I didn’t say you can’t; just make sure he won’t took it the wrong way before you do. Like I already told you, if you’re serious about him, then you should wait, as long as it took.  Did I tell you what happened between me and baekhyun at our first date?”

“No, what did you do?”

“What make you think I did anything?

“Just a guess, what happened?”

“Well, let’s see, it was a warm evening and everything was going better than great. I was walking him home and he was babbling like usual, and I didn’t know what got into me, but I kind of just hold him and start kissing him, first he kissed me back and then he pushed me of him and slapped me and start screaming at me how he’s not a one night stand and how I was planning to use him from the beginning and how stupid was he to think I was different, and then he just disappear. It was a disaster; it took me two months to convince him that it wasn’t like that, and that I really care about him. It was also humiliating to get slapped at the middle of the street while people watching you like some ert. Are you laughing at me?”

Kris couldn’t stop laughing while picturing Chanyeol’s face after getting slapped, it must have hurt as hell; an angry Baekhyun was a power to be recognized. Kris was amazed about how much Chanyeol talked about his boyfriend every chance he get, and he didn’t even seem to realize he was doing it, it was like Baekhyun has become a part of him that can never be separated.

“Hahaha, you’re two are the most crazy I’ve ever met”

“Yeah, that is way we belong to each other”

“True, and Baekhyun is very lucky to have you. Thanks for helping me Changyeol, you didn’t have to, and I’m really sorry for not calling or hanging out with you as much as I should”

“What for? You’re busy, I understand. Plus Baekhyun leave me no time to breath let along hang out with you… What do you say I meet you at your place after your date tomorrow so you can tell me how it did go?”

“I would love that, tomorrow then”

“It’s a date”

“Oh no, no more dates for me, one is more than enough”

‘’it’s just the beginning, you have no idea, but I’m happy for you it will go great, don’t worry”

‘’let’s hope. Thanks again, say hey to baekhyun for me. I’ll send you the tickets the moment I get them. Bye”

“Thanks Kris, take care’’

With that they hang up, and Kris felt at ease for the first time since he woke up this morning. Chanyeol was a good friend; one of the few Kris can call a true friend. They had been neighbors since they’ve been born and friends since they can remember. Chanyeol never give up on Kris, he was there for him after his dad’s death, he tried to help him even though Kris had told him in more than one occasion that he didn’t need him, he acted cold toward him and said hatful things to him but Chanyeol just gave  him a sad smile and told him that one day he’ll move on, he’ll realize there was nothing he could have done to prevent his father’s death, and when that day will come he’ll be happy to know that he never lost his friend the same way he had lost his father, how much he tried to get rid of him, and Kris had tried to stop being his friend but to no avail, Chanyeol stood by his side all those years and Kris couldn’t be more grateful for him.

 Kris sighed and remembered to start preparing for his date, now all he has to do is page his assistant, tell her to order the flowers, buy the tickets and make the reservations, nothing is better than having people do your job for you.