06 - Settling in

magic back hook spin

At lunch time, Myungsoo appears in the theatre, camera slung around his neck. He waves shyly when he catches Dongwoo's eyes. Sohee and Zin whistle obnoxiously. Dongwoo just rolls his eyes, makes his excuses in moments, and drags Myungsoo away for lunch.


Later, when they're sitting on uncomfortable chairs in the foyer, sharing gamja dogs and dakkochi, Myungsoo clears his throat and says apropos of nothing, "I brought my toothbrush."

Dongwoo freezes, a chicken skewer half-way to his mouth. He searches Myungsoo's face. The boy goes on, while tugging at the cuffs of his hoodie,
"I couldn't decide what else to bring, so that's all I brought."

Dongwoo pulls him into a hug. The dakkochi falls to the floor and neither boy minds at all.

"I wrote her a letter. I said I won't come back unless she takes her meds." Myungsoo's voice is catching in his throat. Dongwoo pulls away only enough to wipe a tear from the corner of his eye.

"My place is small," Dongwoo says, tears in his own eyes but giddiness bubbling up as well, "I hope it's OK. The whole flat is pretty much the size of your bedroom."

Roughly wiping his eyes with his sleeve, Myungsoo coughs out a laugh,
"It's fine. I plan to cuddle."

Dongwoo hauls him in for another bone-crushing hug.

 

 

 

When Woohyun and Kibum get wind of Myungsoo's moving in, they give Dongwoo no end of nudge-nudge and wink-wink and double entendres that even Dongwoo can't make sense of. Worse than that though, Woohyun tells Sunggyu, who upon hearing the news fires off a string of texts about how 'kids these days move so fast' and how isn't Dongwoo 'barred from ing before a show? Or is that just boxers?' and how 'if the er doesn't want to use protection, you punch him in the groin. You punch him hard, Dongwoo-yah!!!'. Since Woohyun's told Sunggyu, clearly Kibum must tell Jonghyun. Jonghyun lets on to Lee Minwoo, the Ethnomusicology professor - Because we share the class! Jonghyun squawks, as if that were a perfectly valid reason. Mysteriously, Hyungdon - the kind hyung who runs the student union bar - finds out (Sunggyu's fault) and he tells Lee Jungyeop, the Dean of the School of Music. Jungyeop happens to be renowned throughout campus for his loose mouth. By the time Dongwoo and Myungsoo are returning home after having bought Myungsoo some clothes and essentials, approximately 90% of the university knows that they're moving in together and assumes what they'll be getting up to tonight. It makes Dongwoo want to slap his forehead in frustration. (Or Woohyun and Kibum's foreheads. That would work as well).

It's awkward now - and Dongwoo has no way to explain to everyone why. He can hardly say that they're moving slowly because his boyfriend (are they already boyfriends?) is an abuse victim.

And Dongwoo happens to know because he protected him.

All in the course of his secondary job of fighting on the side of a small army of lap-dancers against a dark force of ersion and hate.

Oh yes, r being his primary job.

Yeah, that would go down just swell.

 

They're staring at something boring on the TV. Side by side on the mat they sit, backs against Dongwoo's hideous, purple couch, arms touching but nothing more. Myungsoo's wearing a pair of Dongwoo's pyjamas because they forgot to buy those during their shopping trip. They're red with a bright green leaf pattern and a t-shirt to match. Myungsoo is visibly uncomfortable in the vibrant colours (although Dongwoo thinks he looks adorable). Dongwoo has a Keroppi cushion in his lap that he's playing with while he contemplates. It's late and he wants to suggest bed - Dongwoo needs to rest well before tomorrow. It's just that his friends and their damn assumptions have him second guessing himself.

 

"I should see the counsellor," Myungsoo comments suddenly during an ad break. Dongwoo turns to look at him, taking in Myungsoo's impassive expression. He agrees it'd be a good idea. A lost look passes over Myungsoo's features.
"I don't know if I'm ready. I don't think I am."

Dongwoo decides to stop being a fool. He wraps his arms around Myungsoo the way he's wanted to all evening.

"That's OK too. I'll help you when you're ready."

He feels Myungsoo smile against his collarbone and can't help but smile with him. When Myungsoo pulls back, Dongwoo automatically wants him close again. His thought processes are halted by Myungsoo's soft hand on his cheek. It's timid at first, slowly more certain. His fingers in Dongwoo's hair. His hand on Dongwoo's nape. Their faces so close.

"Your highlights are fading. Will you dye them again?"

Myungsoo's low voice makes Dongwoo's stomach tremble. Then he blushes because he's doomed if he's reacting so strongly to a run-of-the-mill question. He manages to squeak out an answer that might have been "I think so" or might have been "hngh. Either way, it's enough to make Myungsoo's smile widen.

"I like you so much, Hyung."

Before Dongwoo can process that those words really did spill from Myungsoo's pretty lips, those lips are on his. It's firm and gentle and so warm Dongwoo can hardly stand it. He gasps when his back hits the floor. Myungsoo's teeth drag over his bottom lip. Electricity crackles in Dongwoo's veins. He counts his breaths as he tries to calm down. One, two, in - their legs tangled together, the weight of Myungsoo's arm on his chest. One, two, out - 'I like you too. I like you a lot,' and Myungsoo's breathy chuckle in Dongwoo's hair.

"Let's go to bed," Myungsoo proposes without budging from his position, "You need to sleep before the big day, don't you?"

Dongwoo laughs softly, thinking how he's even stupider than his friends.

 

 

The audience for these shows are a mix of friends who've been dragged along, faculty who couldn't think of anything better to do and - for the Seoulites - a smattering of family members. Peeking out front, Dongwoo spots Sunggyu guiding Dongwoo's mum and noona to a good seat near the front. (Dongwoo makes a mental note to find out if Sunggyu was flirting with Kkotip-noona and, if so, punch him accordingly). Nearby, there are Woohyun, Jinki, Dongwoo's high school friends Minseok and Amy, Daeryong's twin brother and Sohee's scary fellow-Busanite boyfriend. That's more than a good turnout. It's also a bit nerve-wracking.

As Dongwoo's observing the audience, he notices a few familiar, middle-aged faces near the back of the hall. With a smile, he realises that a whole trio of his regulars have come and are looking painfully awkward in their suits, straight from work. Just as Dongwoo's about to duck back in to check his make-up, a door opens and a door opens and Sera, Hyunah, Kyungri and one more tall, elegant girl stride in. Even in casual clothes they command attention. Apparently oblivious to the effect they're having on so many amongst the audience, they settle into their front row seats, chatting animatedly amongst themselves. At the side, Dongwoo spots a figure dressed in the black hoodie Dongwoo bought him just last night. Anticipation bubbles in his stomach.

Well, Dongwoo thinks, If I was nervous before then I'm diesel now.

 

 

His routine is drawing to a close. There's a series of tumbles. He dips into a splits.

He draws himself back up with

a spin

and then

"Who the are you? And why are you dressed like that?"

Blinking in confusion, Dongwoo scans his surroundings. The kitchen is dark and cramped, but spotless. There's burned food in the sink and the acrid smell of smoke in the air. A petite woman with greying hair is against the wall. One black eye. Her husband's hand is crushing .

Dongwoo could swear he didn't use his Magnum. As he crescent kicks the husband in the neck, Dongwoo makes a mental note to have serious words with Erin - or, at the very least, Sem - at the next available opportunity.

 

 

Myungsoo has crept forward. Crouching in the aisle by the front row, he snaps off picture after picture, temporarily blinding Dongwoo and several of his course mates.

Dongwoo takes a bow, accompanied by polite applause and a few (less polite, but extremely good-hearted) whoops and hollers.

That night, he checks his PayPal account to see that that trio of regulars showed their appreciation as well as someone called SemRin. Dongwoo uses some of the appreciation to take Myungsoo for the most expensive coffee on campus. He appreciates it all the more that night, through mocha-flavoured kisses under their duvet.

 

 

XXX

 

It's over~ This was so completely not what I thought it would be when I started. I just wanted to write some silly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer style scenario and it turned into this D: Actually, if anyone's interested, the inspiration for this.... thing was a bit Kampfer, a bit Buffy and a bit Undercover  plus youtubing some really awesome male pole dancers. 

Anyway, hope my fellow LDong shippers enjoyed it! (and the rushed ending. It ttly feels rushed, doesn't it? lol). Comments are appreciated <3