Awake

A.U.

 

I woke up in a sweat. And with one startling, unflinching goal in mind.

 

I was in a large, warm hut that smelled of trees and broth. I must have gasped as I rose, because Sungyeol glanced over at me from where he was cooking and smirked.

 

“You look terrible.”

 

I frowned at him. My first thought should have been a question. Was this his house? Why was I here? What happened? How long had I been out?

 

But reflexively, I instead thought, What a rude thing to say!! I opened my mouth, forming an insult in retort. But then he shot me a lop-sided smile, and something about it made me relax and even chuckle. It was nice to see his face when he wasn't so stern and angry. First impressions aside, maybe he's not a bad guy. Just like his brother.

 

Speaking of his brother...

 

“I feel terrible,” I finally replied.

 

“...Is that all you feel?”

 

I glanced longways at him. “Yes?” I answered slowly. Was there something he meant to imply?

 

“You know, no one-- and I mean no one-- other than myself, my kid brother, and every Chieftain since the birth of our village has ever set foot in that cave I found you in last night.” He paused, stirring at the soup he was making. “Imagine my surprise when, not only do I find you and Sungjong in there, unconscious, but I also notice blood all over my brother's mouth, and a gaping hole in your left forearm.”

 

The memories raced through my mind and I immediately checked my arm. But there was nothing there. I held my arm up to the nearest light and could just almost make out the smallest outline of a scar, jagged and somewhat oblong, about the size of a large bite. But otherwise, I was completely healed.

 

“Where...where's Sungjong?”

 

“Out. No doubt feeling terrible after what he did to you.” Sungyeol lifted the pot and poured some into a small bowl. He arranged a tray and carried it over to my bed. “Here. Eat. It'll make you feel better.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“It's supposed to be tree root soup. I'll admit, all of my mother's cooking abilities actually went to Sungjong instead of me, so...”

 

I took a sip. It tasted like thick liquid ginger. I resisted the urge to spit it out, nearly choking as it slid down my throat. “Mm,” I lied. “Delicious.”

 

“Yah. Don't be ridiculous.”

 

We chuckled together. In actuality, the goupy muck did start making me feel better. Perhaps a Village remedy? I made a mental note to ask Sungjong about it later.

 

I caught Sungyeol's eye and he quickly looked away. I smirked. “You know, you were very different the first time I saw you. During that trial. Even the way you spoke was different.”

 

“Oh, all the formality? Yeah, well.” He pointed at himself. “Chief-in-training.”

 

“It's honestly kind of nice to talk with you outside of your role. It reminds me that you're still a young person after all.”

 

He chuckled. “Well. It's actually kind of nice to talk normally too. Not having to be looked up to and depended on. Not being a Chief, not being a hyung, just being Sungyeol. All that stuff weighs on you sometimes, you know?... Well, you probably don't. Unless you're a Chief of something yourself!” He laughed loudly at himself. Like Sungjong, his personality was animated and his happiness was contagious. It made me smile.

 

“Sorry,” he said eventually. “I didn't mean to unload everything on you like that.”

 

“It's really okay.”

 

“But, anyways, speaking of Chieftain and roles...” He shifted in his seat. “Have you heard of the Oracle of our Village?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“And... well... are you able to piece two and two together?”

 

“Of course. It's Sungjong.”

 

He sighed. “It really is something that I would like to keep secret... So! I propose a bargain.”

 

I cocked an eyebrow. “It's really no trouble, I don't need something in return--”

 

“Hush. Of course you do.”

 

“Really, I don't--”

 

“Minji.” I almost flinched at the seriousness in his voice and expression. “Do you know how many friends my kid brother has? None. No one ever comes through the forest, and when they do, they're looking to capture the famous Oracle! And after the village found out about the Oracle was him...” He sighed. “Mian. What is it about you that makes me want to just talk about all my troubles? Well, actually, I might have an inkling. But anyways, just this once...” He stared deep into my eyes. “Can you let me be a good hyung and thank you for befriending Sungjong?”

 

I blinked. Was that really all that this was about? It was kind of touching. “Of course.”

 

He winked at me in thanks, and then cleared his throat and squared his shoulders. I giggled at his 'Chieftain' act. “You drive a hard bargain, Minji. So here is my final offer. I would like you not to tell anyone-- anyone-- about finding our Village Oracle. In return, I am prepared to aid you in your quest.”

 

I frowned. My quest? Of finding out who I am and how I ended up in this world? How could he possibly help? He sighed again, this time in impatience.

 

“Think, Minji. Dig deep. Isn't there something calling to you right now? Something that you are compelled to do?”

 

And then, as if on cue, my startling and unflinching goal resurfaced. I really need to find Sunggyu.

 

“Yes, but... how?”

 

Sungyeol glanced meaningfully at the soup. And at the glass of water on the tray beside it. Could it be?... “The cave water?” I asked.

 

He nodded slowly. “It is prized for it's ability to heal, and beyond that, to hone our innate talents. Skills or whatever else you outsiders call them.”

 

“But I don't have any Skills.”

 

“Then why do you feel the urge to find Kim Sunggyu?”

 

I frowned. “How do you know that?”

 

“You're quite clear when you talk in your sleep. Based on what you were saying, and what Sungjong told me of his Oracle, I do believe that your Skill may be tracking. And with that, well, there's only one way to test its strength.”

 

“You think I should go and find him??”

 

“Why not?”

 

“But... what if I can't? What if I fail, and as for tracking, I don't even know the first thing about tracking--”

 

“That's where I can help you. By giving you a supply of the cave water.” He reached into his vest and retracted a hidden canteen, soft, supple, and obviously already filled. I accepted it with two hands, but then he halted, staring deep into my eyes.

 

“Only use this when your gift falters or fails you. Do not share it with others. And if you ever find your supply running low, know that you can always return and I will refill it.”

 

“Kumowoyo,” I answered. Carefully, I wrapped the sling around my neck and tucked the canteen into my tunic.

 

He placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. “Rest for now. Then, when you are ready, begin your journey. I will think good thoughts and hope that, one day, you will return.”

 

“But... what about you?”

 

“Truthfully, I don't have much in terms of a Skill. I live off the graces of that cave water. And it is good enough. Perhaps the best advantage it gives me is longevity. So.” He winked at me. “As long as you survive all this... I'll be here when you come back.”

 

*******

 

Perhaps it was Sungyeol's doing, but breaking the news of what happened in the cave went smoother than I thought it would. Sungyeol waited until my strength fully returned, and then walked with me to the large open-air dining room, where Namu and Hoya were sitting, heads down in their breakfast bowls. With everything that went on, I almost forgot that it all happened in the course of a night. These two probably didn't even know I ever left my room.

 

I glanced at Sungyeol. He flashed me a quick, one-sided smile, cueing me to walk over to them and take a seat.

 

“Good morning,” I said quietly. They looked up.

 

“Minji. Did you sleep well?” Hoya asked.

 

Try not to think about it, I thought reflexively. I know Namu heard it because he narrowed his eyes at me.

 

“Yes. Just fine. And you?” I lied. Perhaps it was the quietness and slight tilt in my voice, but Hoya's keen sense picked up on it too.

 

“Oh no. What happened?!”

 

I took a deep breath, wondering just how I would begin to relay my story. But just then, Sungjong entered the room, eyes puffy and red. We all turned to look at him and watched as he whispered quickly with Sungyeol, eyes never once leaving our trio. Then, he walked cautiously up to us.

 

“Minji?” he said quietly. He took a deep breath, hiccuped mid-way through, and then broke into a fresh round of tears. “Minji! I'm so sorry! I didn't know that that part of me would come out like that! Please forgive me... it was never my intention! I just wanted to show you something cool! I'm so sorry. If you never want to see me again, I understand. I can't imagine how you must think of me-- like some sort of monster--”

 

“Yah! Sungjong! It's okay!” I said, standing and grabbing hold of his arms. He was being hysterical.

 

“No, Minji, it's not! I wish I could control that side of me, but I seriously can't! And look, now you've been hurt by it, I can't believe I attacked you and--”

 

“You attacked her?!” Hoya stood, immediately defensive and dangerous.

 

“YAH! Warrior! Leave them be!” Sungyeol had stood too and marched over to the group, placing himself between Hoya and us. It was getting bad. Hurriedly, I lifted my arm.

 

“No! Sungjong! Look! There's nothing there! I don't know what healing or whatever Sungyeol did, but look!” I held my wrist up to him, nearly pushing it in his face so he would see. “All good!” I tried to smile reassuringly. “Nothing to worry about. I promise.”

 

Sungjong stared at me, wide-eyed. Then, he pulled me into a tight and warm embrace, crying hard into my shoulder. I comforted him, and I couldn't help but smile at him. “Honestly, Sungjong. You are too much. But I'm glad that you're my friend. I truly mean that.”

 

We hugged for a moment, letting the tense atmosphere around us disintegrate. When all was through, we released each other, shared another warm smile, and then looked about the group.

 

Namu was wide-eyed with understanding and dread. Sungyeol was staring at him and shaking his head, no doubt disappointed that his treasured secret was out. And Hoya was glaring at all of us, dumbfounded and barely containing his anger about it.

 

“Will... will someone tell me what the heck is going on?!”

 

---

 

Bit of a filler. It'll be funner next chapter.