さん (San: Three)

Memoirs of a Visitor

It didn't take long for the partners to learn much about Terada Takuya. He was an ambassador for his company, but unlike many others, he was quite young and unexperienced. Lantern Industries was mostly filled with men who had, at this point, passed thirty five. However, Takuya was at the young age of twenty three, making him a year younger than Chanyeol, and two younger than Baekhyun. Takuya had been called a child prodigy, and at the age of fifteen, he found himself graduating from the most prestigious college in all of Japan. Buzzing social skills coupled with a fierce mind had easily sent him to work as the newest employee at an infamously grand company. He had only been reduced to a simple ambassador for the time being, as his seniors had all agreed that one of the best ways to win over their Korean counterparts would be to have a relatable tour guide. Baekhyun and Chanyeol instantly noticed that Takuya had mastered the art of conversation as they took their seats inside the plane, Takuya bubbling with smiles and laughter as he chatted with the few business men that had arrived along side him. Takuya honestly would've began to do the same with the men he should be impressing, but every one knew that his Korean was too slow and accented, while Chanyeol's Japanese could only order him food, and Baekhyun didn't speak a of the language.

From across his seat, Baekhyun's ears caught sound of a high pitched giggle. He raised his head to see a young woman in an, apparently, hilarious conversation with the young ambassador. She wore a harshly bright neon green kimono that was freckled with tiny pink waves, or maybe they were flowers, for Baekhyun wasn't sure. Her hair was tightly pulled into a bun unlike one Baekhyun had ever seen, as there seemed to be multiple bumps and twists that created an apple or peach-like shape. Most notably, however, was her face. Despite the fact that she was already an adorable young woman, her face and neck were caked neatly in a ghostly white paint. Splotches of red and black lined her eyes, and the lower lip that smiled at Takuya's every joke was painted a matte red.

Baekhyun awkwardly motioned with his chin. "Takuya... who is this woman?" Takuya hesitated for a moment, as he knew his job of translating was to begin when the mentioned woman opened her lips before him.

"Oh, forgive me!" The girl blushed with a gasp while she put on a charming grin. "I am called Kyary."

"Baekhyun-sama, this young woman is a maiko, an apprentice geisha. My seniors suggested that I bring her," Takuya chuckled, gesturing to the elder colleagues.

"I wanted to come along though," Kyary added. "We only had an hour to sight-see, but Masanobu-kun and I absolutely loved Seoul!" Kyary exclaimed with delight as she politely pointed to the middle aged man sitting on her other side. "He's my brother, by the way."

"Geisha?" Chanyeol suddenly blurted out, quirking his eyebrows.

"You'll learn soon, Chanyeol-sama, and you as well Baekhyun-sama. All in good time." Takuya smiled warmly.

"May I ask though, what really is a geisha?" The shorter Korean male asked.

"All in good time," Takuya repeated, his grin growing wider as his eyes curved closed.


As Takuya would later explain as they were driven in a small carriage to a meeting, Baekhyun and Chanyeol would be told that a geisha is an entertainer. "Entertainer?" Baekhyun guffawed, his jaw dropped as he instantly thought of something not entirely classy. Takuya nervously shook his hands back and forth as Chanyeol just buried his head in his palm. By entertainer, they learned that geisha were literally entertainers. They danced, they sung, they usually played multiple instruments, and their whole purpose were to be moving works of art, or so Takuya put it.

"So that young woman on the plane, Kyary, was a geisha?" Baekhyun squinted his eyes, his hand clutched to the arm rest beside him as the carriage shook against the stone roads.

Takuya shook his finger. "Not quite. She's a maiko, remember? An apprentice." He leaned back into his seat and sighed. "Wah... and to think that she's not even the best, for there's better yet. Just you wait gentlemen, as a welcoming to Japan, I've arranged a small party of my closest friends and associates, as well as some geisha."

In a little under ten minutes, Baekhyun found himself glued closely next to his taller friend as they were lead down a hall by a thin boy with heavy, grey bags under his eyes, his skeletal body draped with a simple gunmetal colored kimono. The sliding shoji screen doors that lined the walls were glowing with bright golden lights contrasting to the relaxing brown wood that surrounded them, and each room seemed to contain a party of it's own, guests filling each and every room. The boy contorted his legs to tuck underneath his thighs as he sat to open the door at the end of the hallway, his head low and back bent as he bowed in the humble way a servant should. Takuya shook his head with excitement as he gazed into the chatter filled room, and he turned slightly to gesture that his guests should follow as he enter.

"Ah! Good ol' Takuya-san!" A tall man shouted as he raised a small cup of sake, his mind obviously being clouded by the alcohol as the legs that were supposed to be under him slipped to his side.

"Good evening, Doctor!" Takuya greeted back just as enthusiastically as he bowed to the older. "I've brought my Korean friends."

"It's about time! I need to practice my Korean," The doctor said, tilting his head, along with the other men, to watch as Baekhyun and Chanyeol filed in silently, thankful smiles on their faces as they copied Takuya's actions and bowed to each and every other person in the room. Baekhyun found himself so in the habit, that he almost bowed to Chanyeol.

Takuya took a seat at one corner of the table, and he patted the now empty seats next to him, a little simper on his lips.

"It's very nice to meet all of you," Baekhyun said graciously as he sat in between the ambassador and his friend.

"Yes, my feelings are the same as my partner's. We are humbled to have been invited to this gathering." Chanyeol stiffly yet happily said.

"Ah, boys boys, don't be so formal! The business starts tomorrow, you know!" Takuya burst out, causing laughter to spread like a virus among the guests. "Here, allow me to introduce you all." Takuya began by nodding his head towards the man who had spoke loudly first. "This is Doctor Kita Heisuke."

"I doubt you'll be seeing the last of me!" Heiske smirked. "With the adventurous Mister Terada here, you'll find yourself playing so many games that you'll break a leg and end up in my office!" His Korean was nearly perfect, with no Japanese accent being present, which surprised Baekhyun greatly, especially since the man was down right drunk.

"You're scarring these two poor souls!" Takuya flourished his hand. "Anyway, this is the Baron, Watanabe Keito."

Now Watanabe Keito, Baekhyun would always say, was quite the intriguing man, as well as Heisuke. Heisuke had, unpopular at the time, long flowing black hair which he always tied in a tail with a red silk ribbon, and in a bun with a white strip of gauze when he was at work in the hospital. His smile was wide, being endearing and gorgeous at some times, but also creepy and intimidating when he wanted. Intimidating, though, took human form in Keito. He was mostly known for his thick and terrifying eyebrows paired with a burning scowl. When most people heard his name, their feelings conflicted. Watanabe was professional and classic, while Keito was childish and cute. The actual person himself turned out to be neither. Even during an operation and under a white coat, Heisuke always wore bright crimson. Crimson patterned kimono, rouge colored shoes, cardinal tinted pants, he was never seen without the blood color. Keito preferred the western style business suits, having hated kimono since he was young.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. I hope an agreement does come between the two companies, I'll admit, I've lately become a fan of your work." Keito shrugged as he carefully sipped tea from his cup.

Chanyeol's eyes bugged from their skull. "You? A fan of our work? My oh, Mr. Watanabe, you must be mistaken. Such an aristocrat like you-"

"You're quite wrong though. I like outside world things, you could say that it's my hobby. I was practicing my Korean by reading a newspaper that my cousin had gotten while he was in Seoul, and not too long after I discovered an article on you two. Well, to say the least, I began some research, and you're both fantastic in what you do." Keito raised his eyebrows for a moment as his voice continued to keep in a strict monotone.

"It's such an honor to be known by an aristocrat like you, Mr. Watanabe," Chanyeol bowed towards the giant-like baron.

"Just call the guy, Keito-san. He's not too monstrous once you get to know him!" Heisuke belted out, downing another shot glass of sake.

"Continuing on though," Takuya made his voice present again when he cleared his throat. "We also have Ando Masanobu, the head of Lantern Industries, who you've already met." Takuya clapped his slender fingers with a tilt of his head. "And Yamaguchi Kappei, a best friend of mine and a kabuki actor here in Kyoto."

"I've known Takuya-san since he was a mere grade schooler. We were both ten, right?" Kappei chuckled.

When the screen doors slid open once more, the conversation immediately drowned out of Baekhyun's ears as his eyes and attention were directed to the two women standing in the doorway. The shorter of the two stood behind one, and Baekhyun recognized her as a maiko. Her dark black hair was styled up and coated in waxy gell, as well as being adorned with several pins and combs covered in cherry blossoms and autumn leaves. Her kimono was a bright copper, scarlet pearl shaped bells being painted on the hem of the fabric. The thick belt, an obi, that surrounded her waist and dropped to the straw tatami mats below them was a bright coral color with a pattern of white specks. Her face was painted white, just as Kyary's was, and her eyes were crowded by the same black and red, her lower lip alone a shinning cherry hue. However, this beaming toned younger girl was the least of his concerns, if anything, Baekhyun barely noticed her. Instead, he focused on the woman before her.

She seemed about Baekhyun's age, maybe a year older or so, and her eyes were a gleaming golden brown which couldn't even dull compared to the sun. Her hair was simpler, and she only wore one rose colored blossom in her hair, along with a transparent chocolate colored comb carved with fulvous dyed flowers. Her makeup was still white, but the tints around her eyes were mostly a plain black, with a slight bit of red peaking out, and both her full lips were dashed with the ruby scheme. Her kimono was a dark salmon, with a barely viewable marking of thin black koi that seemed to swim around the ends of her sleeves and by her white collar. Her obi, which unlike the maiko's didn't hang to the floor, was a broad ebony, detailed with a little silver crest in a ring around her. Now, Baekhyun was correct in guessing that this goddess standing ahead of him was a full fledged geisha, in all her beauty and elegance. She seemed so noble, and then incredibly sweet and inviting as soon as a little raise of her lips was shown. Baekhyun swore right then and there that he'd do anything to spend as much time with this woman as he could, even though he didn't even know what she sounded like, let alone know what her personality was. He took a second to reluctantly look away and glance at his friend, who he noticed was obviously and embarrassedly oggleing the maiko, and Baekhyun was about to snicker before he realized that he had been doing the exact same just a moment earlier.

"Taeyeon-san and Suzume-san!" Takuya boomed from his spot, a bright twinkle to his eyes. "I'm glad you could make it!"

Taeyeon... the name lingered in Baekhyun's mind, repeating itself just for him to hear. Taeyeon...



I encourage you to view this.

This story will have some Japanese idol cameos. In this chapter, we have Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, a singer (does PonPonPon ring a bell?), Ando Masanobu, an actor (Battle Royale, anyone?), and Yamaguchi Kappei, a voice actor (Death Note, Dangan Ronpa, Inuyasha, just to name a few).

Also, just in case you may not know, Terada Takuya is from the kpop group, Cross Gene.

Lastly, I will be using Japanese honorifics in this story. A few Korean ones like hyung may come up, but as I am more familiar with Japanese ones, they will be the primarily used honorifics. I'm not going to have Baekhyun and Chanyeol use Japanese honorifics since they're tourists. So, in case you don't know some of them too well, here's a quick guide.

San: Used between equals/friends and is a common honorific (Example: Since Kappei and Takuya are friends, they would use -san.)
Sama: A more respectful version of -san (Example: Takuya to Baekhyun and Chanyeol, since he is younger and of a lesser status.)
Kun: Used for males (Example: Kinda obvious, but Kyary, a female, calls her brother, a male, Masanobu-kun.)
Chan: Used for younger people/friends/lovers/etc (Example: You will hear Suzume being called Suzume-chan later on, since she is quite young.)
Oneesan: Older sister (Example: You'll hear Suzume call Taeyeon, oneesan, for reasons that shall be explained.)
Oniisan: Older brother.
Senpai: Used for respect to someone in a higher status than you.