いち (Ichi: One)

Memoirs of a Visitor

Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun were not quite ordinary gentlemen. While most men in their country of Korea went on to be lawyers, doctors, politicians, Chanyeol and Baekhyun had other ideas. Chanyeol grew up in the bustling city, life running around him everywhere he went. Lights flashed and voices boomed in his ears, and he couldn't imagine living without noise and activity. Baekhyun was a different story. He grew up in the country side, working for his meals every weekend, and walking three miles to school everyday. It's almost a miracle that such different men came into contact with eachother, but it would sprout one of Korea's biggest breakthroughs. Chanyeol had maneuvered his way into college like any other student, and after years of being the top in his class, Baekhyun took his scholarship with joy.

"I want to make... power." Chanyeol had said one day, gazing out of the window as he held a phone between his ear and shoulder, hands filled with papers and essays.

"You'll have to be more specific," Baekhyun chuckled on the other line.

"I want to harness the power of something to make electricity more easily accessible."

Baekhyun was quiet for a moment, new ideas running through his mind. He agreed, of course, and by using the flow of water, they slowly began to gift smaller and poorer areas with electricity. The larger companies noticed this soon enough, and by age twenty four, both men found themselves the co-chairmens of "Silver Electrics", or as Baekhyun preferred to call it, "The Eun". However, business was the last thing that Baekhyun had ever wished of doing. Growing up with little electricity himself, he often found his free time filled with writing little stories in a worn out notebook. Chanyeol, on the other hand, had always dreamed of being on top of the social tower, and with slight struggling from his best friend, he had dragged Baekhyun up with him.

"Yeol, I think I'd like to retire when I reach twenty eight," Baekhyun mumbled as he watched Chanyeol's furious scribbling on a tiny slip of paper cease. "I want to be a writer."

Chanyeol scoffed. "Baek, you do realize that we are probably the richest men in Korea, right?"

The smaller of the two waved his hand. "Yeah, and that's all good, because then I can support my future family, but I need to live with doing something that I love."

"You don't like working with me?" Chanyeol's eyebrows knit together, a slight frown on his face.

"Oh you know I never said that." Baekhyun giggled, striding across their office to sit on the edge of Chanyeol's desk. "I just don't like business, that's all."

"But that's all I am. Business. I'm just business."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, his head shaking. "No, you're Park Chanyeol. You like power and money, and pretty girls too, but you also like apples and food from France."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Baekhyun shifted his body, moving to the edge of the desk that was against Chanyeol's stomach. He folded one leg over the other as he tapped his best friend's nose with his pointer finger. Chanyeol broke out into an inevitable grin, a low and deep laugh emitting from his pearly teeth. Baekhyun squeezed his shoulder.

"And you have a beautiful smile. So you're not just business, you're pretty girl liking, apple loving, adorable smiling Park Chanyeol."

The taller shook his head with another slight laugh, his face straightening into a curious stare.

"Well, the business bit of me is going to tell you something that you may not like."

Baekhyun hopped off his desk right then and there, almost speed walking to the door as he ignored Chanyeol's pleads to come back. The smile he tried to hide jumped onto his lips as he heard his tall friend running to slam the door shut just as it was pulled open.

"We're going to Japan," Chanyeol blurt out, out of breath after sprinting from one end of their giant office to the other.

"Yeol-"

"To expand the company," Chanyeol shrugged, running a hand against his nicely gelled hair.

"Do we need to expand it any more, Yeol? We've already got part of China on our side." Baekhyun sighed dejectedly.

"That's it though. If you've only got three more years of staying, then I want you to be next to me when we conquer all of Asia. Maybe even some of Europe. If we're lucky, America." At moments like these, Baekhyun would often compare Chanyeol to a child. His eager grin, his round cheeks, the bright golden eyes that lit up with enthusiasm, it was like a small boy attempting to convince his parents on why he should get a dog for his birthday.

"Give me a reason."

"Eh? A reason?" The taller's eyes nearly crossed in confusion.

"If I hate business, then give me a reason to go to Japan on a business trip." Baekhyun challenged, crossing his arms in satisfaction.

Chanyeol struggled for a moment to find a valid reason that would appeal to his friend, because it baffled him that Baekhyun wouldn't be interested in business strategy. I mean, who couldn't love that, right? "The geisha will be there."

That peaked the older man's attention though. He curiously tilted his head in a way that made Chanyeol half blush. Geisha? He'd heard of them every now and then in the multiple books that he buried his eyes in, but they were never quite defined in a way that pleased Baekhyun's confusion. Now here he was though, being offered a chance to experience the mysterious women from the other side of the sea, and even better, with his best friend right beside him. Suddenly, images of parties flashed by. A life other than grey suits and slicked back hair, oh it was more that Baekhyun's excited mind could handle, and Chanyeol knew that. As soon as Baekhyun had truly looked to gawk up at Chanyeol, the younger knew he had got him.

"There will be geisha... and sake?" Baekhyun pouted, referencing the infamous rice wine.

Chanyeol nodded in success, ruffling the shorter's unstyled chocolate colored locks. "There will be geisha and sake."

Baekhyun tapped his chin in mock thought. "Fine."