Chapter 01 - The Prize

Kissing Cards

    “You said there’d be free ice cream,” Minseok stated, frowning unhappily at his surroundings, and especially at the fact that he saw no ice cream stands.

    It was hot - the sun had apparently decided to wait until the day of the yearly festival to make it a hundred and two degrees outside - so much so that Minseok’s shirt was sticking to his skin in a most uncomfortable way. He reached up with his free hand (the one that wasn’t currently clutching his best friend’s, who also happened to be the object of his current dissatisfaction) to brush his sweat-soaked bangs out of his eyes and sighed.

    Definitely no ice cream.

    “We were both lied to,” Luhan replied, shrugging innocently and giving Minseok a small, hopeful smile. “But we can still enjoy it, right?”

    The answer was a resounding ‘no’. There were very few things that could make walking around in the god-awful heat surrounded by loud, pushy college students enjoyable, and apparently there was no free ice cream. So no, Minseok didn’t see how he could possibly enjoy the Dongguk summer festival.

    Still, Luhan’s eyes were wide and pleading and his hand tightened around Minseok’s, and the longer Minseok stared at him, the less irritated he felt.

    “Yeah,” Minseok agreed unwillingly, his lips unconsciously twitching upwards when Luhan gave him a wide, grateful smile. “But I’m still pissed off that there’s no free ice cream,” he couldn’t help but add.

    Luhan only shrugged again and pulled Minseok into the throng of sweaty people. “I’ll get you some ice cream later,” he suggested easily.

    Sometimes Minseok kind of loved Luhan.

    It was because of this fleeting adoration that he allowed himself to be hauled around the football field, being stopped every few minutes by friends of Luhan’s or friends of Minseok’s or friends of both of them who just wanted to chat, though Minseok wasn’t really in the mood.

    Minseok managed a few forced smiles and polite greetings before Luhan would undoubtedly catch onto his mood and haul him somewhere else.

    Luhan picked most of the games, and Minseok only participated when he’d get shot that wide-eyed, imploring stare, because for some reason Minseok had a legitimate problem when it came to telling Luhan ‘no’.

    “Your turn,” Luhan finally exclaimed, out of breath and looking a little worse for wear. His usually pale skin had turned bright red in the heat and his eyes were slightly glazed over. Admittedly, Minseok was a little worried about his health.

    “My turn for what?” Minseok asked, debating whether or not to take charge and get them back into their air-conditioned dorm. Ah, air conditioning...

    “Pick something!” Luhan demanded, a small pout forming on his lips as he motioned erratically around them. “You haven’t been any fun at all since we got here!”

    The accusation didn’t mean much. Everyone knew that between the two of them, Minseok was only the ‘fun’ one when he was drunk or having an exceptionally good day. It was too hot to drink, and spending an hour drowning in one’s own bodily fluids could hardly be considered part of a good day.

    And, as previously mentioned, there was no free ice cream.

    Minseok didn’t feel like being fun. He felt like passing out on his bed, in his air-conditioned room. And, of course, eating the ice cream that Luhan had promised him.

    “Minseok,” Luhan whined, tugging on Minseok’s hand expectantly.

    But then again, if he picked something then maybe Luhan would be nice and let them leave.

    “Only if we can go back to the dorms after,” he finally said, trying not to grimace at the thought of spending more energy in this god-forsaken place. The grin he got in response was enough of an answer for Minseok to look at their surroundings and point to the first booth that caught his eye.

    It was the drama club’s booth, he realized belatedly, lowering his free hand as he spotted Kim Kibum and Byun Baekhyun standing in the shade next to a wheel that looked like it had been taken from the game ‘Twister’ and hastily numbered to sixteen in  permanent marker.

    “That one?” Luhan asked, sounding surprised. Minseok could’ve changed his mind - really, it would’ve been so easy and he wouldn’t have had to deal with psycho’s #1 and #2...but he wanted to leave, and chances were that they wouldn’t want to take up his time. So Minseok nodded, and pulled Luhan towards the booth with a sinking heart.

    Bad day, he decided unhappily. A very, very bad day indeed.

    “Oh god, more jocks,” Minseok heard Baekhyun mutter disgustedly to Kibum, who sneered.

    “At least it’s not Minho again.”

    “Minho came by?” Luhan asked in lieu of a greeting as they stopped in front of the drama freaks. “I thought he was manning the football tent?”

    Baekhyun and Kibum simply stared blankly at him. Minseok took that as a good sign.

    “We’d like to spin your wheel thingy,” he told them, motioning to the Twister board and not bothering to hide his disgruntled expression.

    Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, not taking his eyes off of Luhan. “Both of you?” He asked.

    Minseok would’ve been confused if he’d been speaking to literally anyone else. Who knew what the hell went on in Byun Baekhyun’s mind. Instead, he just went with it. “Yeah,” he confirmed shortly.

    “Don’t you want to know what it’s for?” Kibum asked, not bothering to look at anyone and instead picking boredly at his nails.

    “I don’t care,” Minseok replied flatly. “Just tell me what all we need to do so we can leave.”

    “Actually,” Luhan began hesitantly, giving Minseok an apologetic look. “I don’t really want to spin the wheel.”

    Minseok glared at him. Luhan flinched.

    “I think we should go somewhere else,” Luhan added in a whisper, shooting Baekhyun a nervous look. Minseok could understand, since Baekhyun was still staring blankly at him. “Their prizes are probably crap anyway.”

    Both Baekhyun and Kibum scoffed, Baekhyun going so far as to roll his eyes.

    “Our prizes are the ,” Kibum told him, crossing his arms defensively over his chest. “Just fill a piece of paper and spin the wheel - no one’s gotten the grand prize yet, so you’ve got a shot.”

    Minseok obediently grabbed a piece of paper and a pen from in front of him and began filling out the information listed. He wasn’t quite sure why they needed his name, age, dorm number, or class schedule, but he didn’t want to take the time to question it. Instead he went with something more important. “What’s the grand prize?” He asked Kibum, since Baekhyun seemed a little busy staring down a cowering Luhan.

    “Just spin the damn wheel,” Kibum snapped, snatching the piece of paper from underneath Minseok’s hand and shooting him an irritated look.

    Minseok glanced at Luhan - who in turn gave him an almost apologetic look - before raising his hand to the wheel and bringing it down in one fluid motion.

    The wheel spun, numbers blurring and for some reason it seemed as though the three other onlookers were tensed up in anticipation - though Minseok didn’t see the big deal. Luhan was probably right after all, and the prizes were probably crap. Minseok didn’t know what he’d do if he got another gift card to the nail salon down the street.

    After a moment, the wheel slowed to a stop, the bright red arrow sitting innocently on Right Foot, Blue.

    “Well, ,” Kibum muttered, while Baekhyun let out a horrified groan.

    “I don’t get it,” Minseok admitted, feeling the slightest bit left out.

    “Just shut up,” Kibum snapped, turning around and ducking under the table. Baekhyun began letting out small, pained whimpers. Minseok thought that maybe Kibum was stabbing his feet or something equally insane and grotesque, except that Baekhyun continued whimpering even when Kibum reappeared, shoving a loaded envelope into Minseok’s hands. “Go away,” he demanded, giving Minseok an offended glare before putting an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders comfortingly.

    Minseok turned to share a confused look with Luhan - except Luhan was too busy staring wide-eyed at the wheel, as though it had suddenly sprouted a mouth and started talking to him.

    Too fed up to deal with everyone’s , Minseok just rolled his eyes, grabbed Luhan by the wrist, and pulled him away.

    “It could’ve been worse,” Minseok heard Kibum tell Baekhyun as they walked away, “at least he’s not a girl.”

---

    Minseok nearly forgot about the envelope after getting back to the dorm. Instead, he took a much needed shower and then laid down for a nap, waking up only after Luhan called out that he was leaving for their promised ice cream.

    Alone in their shared dorm room and unfortunately awake (and starving) Minseok sat on his bed for a few minutes staring blankly at the wall. Then he scooted back into a horizontal position on his bed, freezing when he felt something dig into his thigh. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the envelope.

    The envelope that apparently made people terribly unhappy.

    With a shrug, Minseok opened it...and eleven heavy cards fell onto his chest.

    Minseok sat up, grabbing one at random and looking at it in confusion. It was undoubtedly a tarot card - it felt like a tarot card - and Minseok held it up to the light to get a better look.

    There was a picture taking up most of the space - a statue of a , well-hung man that kind of looked like Michaelangelo’s ‘David’, and below in small letters were the words ‘03. The Adonis’.

    Minseok’s eyebrows raised curiously, and he dropped the tarot card only to grab another. ‘05. The Joker’ it said underneath a picture of a prancing court jester.

    Minseok picked up another one.

    ‘09. The Smile.’

    ‘10. The Hermit.’

    ‘06. The Way.’

    “What the hell?” Minseok mumbled to himself as he looked through each one, feeling more and more confused with each new card.

    By the eleventh (‘The Soul’) Minseok was debating the pros and cons of simply throwing them away.

    But...well, the artwork was pretty nice, and while Minseok did despise keeping anything given to him by the drama freaks, he was always one to appreciate fine art. So instead, he stacked the cards back together and grabbed the envelope. He was just about to put them back in there for safekeeping when he saw a thin piece of white sticking out from the top.

    It was a note, Minseok learned upon further inspection. The words were miniscule, but there was a jubilancy in the way each letter was written that had Minseok’s confusion growing to positively epic levels.

    ‘Congratulations lucky contestant!

    You have just won 11 Knights in Shining Armor Kissing Cards!

    Prepare for the best week and a half of your life! ;-)’

    “What the hell,” Minseok repeated slowly.

    He really hated emoticons.


A/N: I tried to edit this, I swear I did, but my head is a little fuzzy and it's kind of hard to concentrate, so I make no promises. I did write this while completely sober, however, so that's a plus. Anyways, please subscribe and comment =) I love me some feedback!