Chapter 20

The way with life

“Hello?” I asked groggily as I propped myself up with my elbow on the bed.

“Is this Ms JungAh?” A lady on the end of the line asked.

I put the phone away from my ear, trying to see the caller ID. It was the hospital.

“Is Daehyun awake?” I asked in excitement as I jumped up from my bed, roughly pulling out my clothes from my wardrobe. 

“Yes, he is. You can come now even if it’s way earlier that the visiting time.” The nurse offered as I hung up the phone and did a quick wash-up. 

I quickly flagged down a taxi and hastily told the taxi driver my destination before slumping onto the seat when fatigue kicked in as it was only 3am in the morning. 

“Why are you going to the hospital so early?” The taxi driver asked out of curiosity as the streets of London was still dark, cold and empty and barely could I make out the silhouettes of the various buildings and trees around me. 

“He just woke up from a coma.” I smiled at the driver before gazing outside the window. 

I watched as the trees passed by me in a whirl of dark and and streetlights casting eerie glows on the London sidewalks. There was barely activity at this time except for a few pubs I passed by that had drunken men and women pouring out and I could imagine the sidewalks near pubs reeking  alcohol and vomit. But that was what made me enjoy London because it showed a sign of life. It showed a sign of people and it showed a sign of a never-dying city. In Korea, since I always lived within the wealthy streets of either Gangnam or Apgujeong, the streets were particularly quiet at night and more often, policemen would be patrolling around the area since the concentrated amount of taxes came from the rich. 

“Congrats.” The driver suddenly said, interrupting my train of thoughts. 

“Why?” I asked. 

“You have someone to care for but I have no one. I lost my son and wife many years ago and ever since, I can’t find them anymore.” The driver sighed.

“Oh, I am sorry.” I could only say. 

“He’s probably 19 now, my son.” The driver chuckled as he shook his head and wiped what seemed like tears from his face.

“I am sure you can find him. By the way, you look Korean. Did you just move to London because your korean accent is rather thick.” I remarked. 

“Oh yes, many say that my son and wife came over to London but sadly, my wife passed away recently so the only one I have to look for is my son.” The driver explained.

“Oh, I wish you all the luck!” I said, before paying the driver the fare and closed the door behind me. 

I happily smiled before I stopped into the hospital. Today, I felt a sense of excitement, no longer that feeling of dread and fear of disappointment. 

I dashed towards Daehyun’s room and before opening the door, I let my hands linger over the doorknob before opening the door.

“Who’s there?” Daehyun asked as I walked in, seeing his craned neck.

“Daehyun?” I said as my heart sped up rapidly upon seeing Daehyun’s face and his eyes gleaming with excitement. 

“JungAh? What are you doing here?” He asked in astonishment.

“I came to see you.” I quietly said, my confidence suddenly lost. 

Did Daehyun still like me?
“Today’s the last day, right/“ Daehyun asked as he glanced at the calendar beside his nightstand.
“You remembered?” 

“Of course, it’s really important to me.” Daehyun nodded and stared at me. 

Suddenly, the room went silent as both of us stared at each other and I could tell that Daehyun was immensely worried about my reply.

“ this accident. I didn’t do anything much.” Daehyun cursed as he slammed his hand on the bed, anger overwhelming him. 

“Wait, stop.” I said as I put my hand on his shoulder and just that subtle touch made him look at me and I was a little shocked to see his eyes glistening with tears. 

“Why are you-“ 

“I just… I can’t lose you.” Daehyun gave a little sniff.

“I missed you.” I firmly said making his eyes widen. 

“You what?” Daehyun asked in disbelief.
“You won. I realised that I developed feelings for you.” I smiled as Daeyhun pulled me into a deep hug. 

“I waited so long for this and I thought you wouldn’t accept my feelings even if I knew you didn’t like Heejun.” I could feel Daehyun b with happiness as he breathed deeply into my hair and hugged me even more tightly. 

“It was mad crazy all this time you were like this. i came here everyday, just waiting for you and there you are, you finally woke up. The last day, even.” I chuckled in relief as I ruffled Daehyun’s hair, taking in his intoxicating scent. 

“So, how have you been?” Daehyun asked as we both pulled away, leaving me to feel a sudden loss. 

“Heejun and I patched up after that week and he knows that you like me. I decided to wait for you to wake up before I told him about us.” I said.

“Oh, it’s going to be bad, huh.” 

I nodded,” but we have no choice, right? I have to clear up the mess I so selfishly made and since i assume that we are together now, we will do it together right?” I asked, hopeful.

“Getting all girlfriend-ish now, huh? Jeez, I am honoured.” Daehyun taunted, making me give him a death-terrifying glare. 

“So how long did the doctor say you have to stay here for?” I asked, as i reached out for his hands.

“I am going to do a check-up later in the afternoon but he said I can be discharged in a week’s time then after that, we can go on those dates.” Daehyun grinned.

“Getting all protective now?” I raised one of my eyebrows teasingly.

“Yep! I own you now!” Daehyun smirked before pulling me into a hug again.

“You don’t know happy I am." Daehyun sighed into my hair. 

“Me too.” I smiled.