Reason to Live

Reason to Live

“Miki !”

Kamiki lifted his head upon hearing his name being called by his best friend.

“What’s wrong?” he asked as he saw her face full of happiness.

“You know what, Yama-chan asked me to go out with him ! KYAAAAAH !” Mirai excitedly said while her face is now turning red.

“W-What?” he was surprised upon hearing her declaration. He, Mirai and Yamada we’re best friends since high school. He knew all along that Mirai has a crush on Yama-chan. “A-and what did you say?”

“Mouuuu ! I’m so embarrassed Miki-kun!” Mirai said and covered her red face. “I said yes!”

Kamiki slightly smiled. “I-Im happy for you.I know Yama-chan will take care of you.”  He just said, but his heart was starting to crush.

“Thank you very much Miki-kun ! I owe you a lot. Thanks for helping me with him.” she said and hugged him.

Kamiki also hugged her.

She released herself and gave him her beautiful smile and left him.

That is the last time he saw that smile from the girl he secretly loves all this time. His breathing started to get hard. He tightens his grip on his chest as his breathing gets harder and harder.

‘Yabai, I forgot to drink my medicine.’ He thought.

He felt everything went black as he fell on the floor.

 

 

--

“Mi-chan?”

Kamiki slowly closed the door before he went beside her bed.

His tears started to form again on his eyes as he watched the lines on the medical apparatus on the other side of her bed.

Her eyes were shut. Her skin was really pale. Her body is already thin because of lack of nutrients. Many tubes were placed on her chest and to her hands. There were scars and bruises on her face. There was a tube connecting on her nose to the thing that only gives her life, if without it, she will probably dead by now.

The Mirai he sees now is so lifeless.

“Mi-chan? I’m here again. How are you?” he softly asked as he sits beside her. He held her right hand. It was a bit cold.

No sign of response.

Its been half a year when she was involved in a car accident and got comatose.

She was with Yama-chan when the accident happened. They were on their way home after having their 2nd anniversary celebration. Yamada was the one who drove the car. They were about to make turn when a fast speeding car hits them. Yamada, unfortunately, didn’t survive and Mirai was in comatose.

Actually that day, Yamada and Mirai got engaged. Mirai was so happy before the accident that she called Kamiki after Yamada proposed to her.

“Please wake up now. I hate seeing you like this. If I could switch places with you, I will do it.” Kamiki said as tears started to roll down on his cheeks. He planted small kisses on her hands. “I should be the one lying there, having tubes on my body, and be the one to suffer. I’m the sick one  among the three of us remember?”

 

Kamiki had a weak heart. That’s why when he’s a child he is always at the hospital.

“Mi-chan, Please live for me. I love you.” He said.

He always told her those lines every time he visited her on the hospital.

But just like before, still no response.

He stayed there for a while until he suffices his free time before going to work. He gets his medicine inside his bag and drinks it before he leaves.

He stood up to fix his things when he heard a familiar sound that he never wants to hear.

It is a long beep coming from the medical apparatus that keeps her alive until now.

“M-Mirai? ! Oi ! wake up ! Mirai !” he immediately  went outside and called the nurse.

The doctor and nurses immediately went to her room and do their best to revive her, while he is waiting outside, crying and praying for help.

“Please Mi-chan, don’t leave me. You’re the only reason why I still live. God, please don’t take her yet.” He said in between his sobs.

 

 

--

 

“Mi-chan?” he greeted her as he entered the room.

Mirai smiled. “Miki!”

It is been a week and Mirai already regains her consciousness from a long comatose.

Kamiki placed the flowers he bought beside her bed.

“How are you?” he asked.

Mirai moves a bit and motioned Kamiki to sit on the empty space she provided for him.

“Sit here.”

Kamiki followed her wish.

Mirai hugged him. Kamiki was surprised.

“Arigato for always staying here with me.” She said and rested her head on his shoulders. “I always hear your voice, saying that you love me.”

Kamiki heard faint sobs from her.

He also hugged her tight.

“I always do.” He said and planted a kiss on her hair.

Mirai released herself from him.

“Im really happy to have someone like you Miki.”

Kamiki cupped her face with his hands and leaned closer his face to her face until their forehead touches each other, leaving a small gap between their faces.

“I already lose a friend, and I don’t want to lose you too.”  Kamiki said.

He felt Mirai’s tears flows down on his hands.

“Shhh. Don’t cry. I hate seeing you cry. I’d rather be the one in pain than you.” He said and wipes her cheeks.

“Im sorry. I really am.” She just said and began to cry.

Kamiki slowly fills in the gap between them as he leaned and kissed Mirai on her lips.

This is the first time , and probably the last time, he will do that to her.

Mirai closed her eyes and feels the warmth of Kamiki’s love for her.

 

‘Thank you Miki-kun, Im sorry.’

 

 

--

“Be happy Miki ! I hope you will find the right person to give you the happiness you wanted, the reason why are you living for and the reason to continue to live and move on. I will be here right beside you, loving and protecting you. Live for yourself, and I will be happy if I know you do it.”

 

 

Those words were still clearly written on the white paper he was holding. He neatly folded it back the way it was.

He was sitting beside the two persons he cared about. The two reasons why he is still living in this world.

“How was it going? Are you taking care of her, Ryo-chan?” he said and sadly smiled. He touches the cold tile with his hand while tracing the embossed letters on it.

Silence.

 

 

im sorry Miki-kun, I can’t give you the happiness you’ve wanted. Thank you for always loving me, but I still loves Ryosuke, even though it still hurts.’ She said

 

‘I will take away the pain, just give me a chance.’

 

‘No.’ she said and shook her head. ‘You’ve done enough for me. I will take this pain away with myself. I will not leave you I promise. Thank you as always.’

 

 

Those were the last words of her.

Mirai committed suicide in her room the day after they kissed.

“Mi-chan, how are you? Doing well with Ryosuke?” he sadly chuckled. He placed a small velveteen box on her grave. It’s already been a year since Mirai passed away.

Silence.

“You said that I should keep this, as a memory of you and Ryosuke, but every time I see this, I can’t help but to cry. It hurts being left behind by the 2 important persons to me.” Kamiki sadly said as tears rolls down his cheeks. Few drop on Mirai’s grave.

“I miss you so much. Maybe I could also join you there?”

A cold wind suddenly blows on his skin, as if an answer from his question.

“Nah, Im joking, I know you will be mad at me if I do that.” He said as he opens the box. Inside it was the engagement ring of Mirai given by Ryosuke.

 

“You will not forget me Miki. I will be living inside of you. Don’t dare to follow us or else I will not allow it. Keep my little memory for you as a gift for all the things you’ve done for me. I know it is not enough but I hope it will help you cure your sickness.”

 

 

He suddenly remembered that part on the letter she left for him.

“Thank you Mi-chan for this. This is too much as a gift. If only you let yourself live, I will make you the happiest girl on earth.” He said and pointed his heart. “I will continue living with the two you, until the time comes for me to meet you again, Thank you for everything.” He said and smiled to the two graves infront of him.

Cold wind blows again on his skin. He closed his eyes. When he opened his eyes, he saw two figures a few meters away from him. They were smiling. The girl was wearing a beautiful white dress. She’s more beautiful than the last time he saw her, lifeless. There were no traces of her depression or the cut on her wrist. She seems to be happily contented on where she’s right now.

“Arigato. Bye Bye Miki-kun.” the girl said and waved at him.

In an instance the two figures slowly fades infront of him.

Kamiki smiled.

 

 

‘You’re always telling me that I will find my happiness in the right person but I’m already contented that I know you’re already happy with him.’